Official Review: Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Standing Out" by Angela Lee Chen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The author of Standing Out: A Cross-Cultural Journey of Self-Discovery, Angela Lee Chen, was born in New York to Chinese parents and lived most of her childhood and teenage years in Nairobi, Kenya. She begins her memoir with funny anecdotes of people asking her where she was from and how the answer was not so straightforward.

I like that the author gave her insights of where we are from, what we do, and our name, are only adjectives describing ourselves and not who we are. She quoted Professor Cheng: “You must find the One behind the adjectives.” (Page 19) This idea is a very profound concept to think about and to apply.

Chen shared a lot not only about herself but also about her dad, mom, and brothers. She wrote of their travels all over the world, climbing mountains, visiting famous sites, and experiencing lots of different situations. She gave a great description of her dad and mom. Her dad worked for the UN and her mom was a Chinese artist, who painted African themes and animals. Many times, her dad surprised me how he did not communicate much about where or what the family was going to do next. They just had to be ready! One of the biggest surprises was when and how Angela’s brothers, Darryl and Chris, came into their family.

Most of the stories were light-hearted and funny while others were a bit sad and shocking. If you enjoy reading memoirs and stories of cross-cultural experiences, you will like reading Standing Out. There are many interesting facts and tidbits one can pick up while reading this book. On the other hand, if you absolutely do not like memoirs and are looking for some kind of exciting fictional story, you may need to pass on this one.

Angela Chen wrote her memoir in the first person narrative style using the present tense to tell about her life experiences. I liked that this made the stories come alive and allowed the reader to feel like the event was happening now and being experienced together with the author. Though there was a timeline in the front of the book, I felt that skipping back and forth in time and not telling the story in chronological order, sometimes threw me off, as I was a bit lost. For example, Chen mentions Cliff, without introducing him as her husband, and then she threw in her ex-husband and later she told about Nick. I had to piece it together that she was married and divorced from Nick and later married Cliff. This was really the only thing that I did not like about the book because things were not clear a few times.

I enjoyed the descriptions of cultural experiences of food, language, bathrooms, and weddings in Asia, as Chen and her family traveled to China, Korea, and Japan. I loved the way she would describe things. She described a bathroom with “a reek that burns nose hairs off.” Her dad told her to blend in as a local while visiting China, but then while on the train, a Chinese man wanted to know what her Lunar age was and she had no idea!

I rate Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen 4 out of 4 stars. The book was extremely well written and other than one missing hyphen, I did not find any errors. The humorous and present tense style of the author sharing about her, at times, bizarre family and experiences all make it well worth receiving this rating and no lower.

Standing Out
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not in the mood for a memoir at the moment. Still, I'm intrigued by the descriptions of another culture here. I always enjoy learning about traditions that are so different from my own. I'll keep this in mind for the future. Glad it was a good one for you.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

This is an interesting book. Like you, I probably would have liked it better had the account been chronological. Thanks for the heads up!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Great review! It must have been difficult for Angela having to leave places at a moment's notice. I haven't read many memoirs, but this one sounds like it would be entertaining!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I love and appreciate memoirs about family adventures and cross-cultural experiences. Would love to check this book out! Too bad that the story is not given in the chronological order from time to time, but this book still sounds like a very entertaining one! Excellent review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love how Angela embraced her unique background. You have piqued my curiosity about the brothers. This is one I will have to read. Thanks for the recommendation.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like the author has led a very fascinating life. However, memoirs aren't really what I like to read. Thanks for a great review, though.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I'm not really into reading memoirs and it sounds like the author didn't do a great job of using time skips and flashbacks. Granted, these are difficult writing methods to use, but it doesn't seem to match the wonderful writing in the rest of the book. I think I'll pass on this one, but thanks for the review!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Basmeen
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basmeen.html
Latest Review: Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Post by Basmeen »

This book seems quite funny while she quoted the description for the bathroom. The reviewer is too good, in between quoting the authors way of writing. And the message from the book that you must find the one behind adjectives is super powerful. Yes it's damn true.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I would definitely like to read this book. I am one person who enjoys learning about different cultures and I guess this will be of great help. Thanks for the great review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

This sounds like a beautiful memoir with some armchair travel thrown in. And what a bonus the author is a good writer. Thanks so much for the review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Experiencing different cultures and being exposed to diversity is one of the most enriching experiences, in my opinion, so I can't wait to read this book.
The question of who we are is a hard one, but I enjoy pondering these issues. I think we're not just our origins or our jobs or our passions, etc. I tend to believe we're a sum of it all, but I'd like to read the authors take on it.
Great review, thanks!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A memoir about the author's cultural experiences and journey of self-discovery sounds moving. Seems like a very candid piece. It is good that the author balanced the sad stories with the light-hearted ones. That the book was well edited is another plus. I am not fond of memoirs, or present tense writing, but I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the time jumps. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I like the part where the author talks about where she is from. I also really enjoy stories who focus strongly on the characters and family dynamic. I think it's great that the author provides detailed information about other cultures. Thanks for the wonderful review!
jkadrmas75
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jkadrmas75 »

This review is very insightful and I appreciate knowing that the timeline will be hopping around so I am not left a bit confused to start off with. Generally, I do not like non-fiction, but this may be a good read for me.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”