Official Review: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus" by David Ross Sherman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am going to be transparent right away and say that I chose this book based on the cover. The penetrating stare of an animal I have never met before drew me in with a look that said, "You need to read this!" Anyone who has a love for dogs might find themselves in the same position, unable to resist the powerful pull of her non-verbal communication. In the opening pages, the author speaks about this when he went to a shelter in his area in search of a companion. In chapter one he writes, "I was adopted by this creature, who a scant few minutes before, had no idea who I was." This begins his relationship with Jenny, a rescue dog who needed his friendship as much as he needed hers. David Ross Sherman has compiled his thoughts into a soul touching book called What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus.

The bond between the author and his new friend begins immediately as they learn how to navigate living together. Because of the dog's history of being abandoned, she exhibits fears which start to diminish as the author proves to her that he will keep her safe. Along the same lines, she comforts him as he is dealing with PTSD and high blood pressure. With trust issues and the need for obedience training, the author weaves a great analogy of how this is like our relationship with God. He writes from a Christian perspective with scripture to complement the lessons he is teaching. For example, the Bible tells us we are to love our neighbor. He points out that this isn't always easy because we often are challenged by people who are different than we are which can create division. He uses the humorous example of Jenny not preferring a couple of cats that also inhabit the house. In chapter eleven entitled, I Hate Cats, But You Guys Are Ok, he explains the adjustment process that had to take place for the two species to coexist in peace. Throughout the book, readers will find many stories similar to this where he draws parallels between human nature and his observations of Jenny learning to adapt.

I liked the gentle tone that the author chose because many are under the wrong impression that following God as a leader will result in harsh punishment. He emphasizes the fact that love is the true foundation of the Creator and not that of a horrible taskmaster. While he has had to use a sharp tone with Jenny to get her attention at times when she is headed for a dangerous situation, his intention is to provide protection and keep her out of harm's way. This and all the other situations he describes makes this book a valuable resource for reinforcing spiritual strength, faith, and comfort.

In addition to the heartwarming stories and beautifully written words, there are pictures of Jenny in various poses at the end of each chapter. These still shots give a deeper sense of how great of a friend she is especially when she is looking quite protective. I particularly enjoyed one where she has a full smile that radiates off the page. You would never know from her blissful expression that her past had been a bit rough. Without the use of words, Jenny models for her readers that joy can remain in the heart even if there is nothing special going on externally to make one feel happy.

There wasn't anything about this book I didn't like, and with only five minor errors that can be easily fixed, I am awarding this a 4 out of 4 stars. The author has put much thought into creating a piece of literature that can be appreciated by those who desire to feel a close connection between God and humanity. If you do not like reading material that includes Christianity or the Bible, then this one may not be for you. However, I would emphasize again that the dog steals the show, and the author's humor is quite infectious.

What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would definitely read this amazing, heartwarming book. There's absolutely now doubt for me that we, humans, should learn from the animals and dogs in particular. And I agree that the cover is an eye-catcher. Thank you so much for this excellent review!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Ellylion wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 06:12 I would definitely read this amazing, heartwarming book. There's absolutely now doubt for me that we, humans, should learn from the animals and dogs in particular. And I agree that the cover is an eye-catcher. Thank you so much for this excellent review!
It’s a great book, and the pictures inside will make you want to give Jenny a hug. She is a show stealer. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it. 😊
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love a good story about dogs. This one looks particularly cute. I'm interested to see how the dog taught the author about Jesus. I'll have to pick it up. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 08:41 I love a good story about dogs. This one looks particularly cute. I'm interested to see how the dog taught the author about Jesus. I'll have to pick it up. Thanks so much!
For me, it’s a great combination of faith and my love for dogs. I appreciate your kind comments and hope you get a chance to read it. It’s a good one! 😉
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Can't say I've read any book about a dog, though I love dogs. It's a really intriguing combination. Great review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This seems like a beautiful story of how her relationship with Jenny helped heal the pain in his soul. I agree with you about the mesmerizing look on the cover. I enjoyed your review.
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

Amazing review! I can’t wait to read this! Dogs and Jesus...perfect combo!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a heartwarming and inspirational book that I would love to read. Thanks for a wonderful review!
TinyikoS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinyikos.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by TinyikoS »

It is amazing how Jesus can connect with us through relationships we have with people, animals etc. I would love to read the book. Great review.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I can certainly see why that cover drew you in- Jenny is adorable! Sounds like the author did a great job of drawing parallels between dog/owner and human/God. Thank you for your insightful and excellent review!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I am happy to know that love is emphasized as the cornerstone of a relationship with God. I love a guy who loves his dog! The dog as a reflection of the human search for love, meaning, and God, sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

You've made this piece seem so heartwarming, inspirational, and uplifting. I've just placed it on my reading list. Thank you for your compelling review!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

We can learn many lessons from our animal companions, and I'm glad this book is faith-strengthening without being preachy but compassionate and heartwarming.
It seems like a lovely, uplifting book. Thank you!
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

After raving about your review of Unholy Communion and the kind reply you gave back to me I saw that "What my Dog Taught Me About Jesus" was listed as your favorite book and came to see your review of it. Then I went to Amazon and found only 3 short reviews there. One was a funny comment by the author himself. I downloaded the Kindle version and paid all $6 for it. (I haven't paid more than $2 for a book in five years!)
But it is the story of me and my cat, MONTY.

My mother had just died from a very long battle with a terminal illness and I was her caregiver. Two months later my apartment building got infested with mice and many of the tenants decided to get cats. I sat on a bench in the Humane Society for almost an hour knowing I should pick a cat but so deep in grief I wasn't even moving. Then I heard a little girl say, "Mommy! I think this cat is dead!" That was my MONTY.
They had retrieved him from a garbage bin where someone had literally thrown him away. He was barely 8 lbs and he lay in his cage not moving. Not even a flick of his tail. I watched him for 30 minutes and even when people put their hands in his cage to pet him, he didn't move, twitch or even blink. It was weird and there was NO WAY I was going to adopt him. But when I got up from the bench he lifted his head and looked at me. Yup! I was a goner. And I brought home the most violent animal I've ever encountered. Within a week my hands and arms were covered in deep scratches and black, blue, yellow and green with bruises. So many people told me to take him back and put him down. But I kept praying and felt Jesus saying, just wait it out. Just a little bit longer. MONTY taught me SO much about my relationship with Jesus who is my Master that I've often thought I should write a book. This year will be the 7th year MONTY and I have lived together. And I don't know which one of us rescued which.

But once again something you've read and reviewed has affected me in a deep and profound way. God bless you for just shining your own light in your own way.
MONTY & Me  Head Butting
MONTY & Me Head Butting
IMG_20200125_164205.jpg (258.69 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
Love Laura-Lee
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”