Official Review: Stick With Us And We'll Get You There

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Official Review: Stick With Us And We'll Get You There

Post by k2rugman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stick With Us And We'll Get You There" by Mary Walker Baron & Jeff Baugh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stick With Us and We’ll Get You There by Mary Walker Baron and Jeff Baugh is an entertaining self-help book that provides advice and guidance to help the reader navigate various life trials. This book is both informative and entertaining.

The authors, Baron and Baugh, are Southern California dwellers. Baron is a private practice therapist with a background in social work. Baugh is a seasoned Eye-In-The-Sky for the KFI AM 640 radio station. Both have seen catastrophic events take place along the concrete maze that is the Southern California freeway system. Together, with Baugh’s bird’s eye view and Baron’s therapy expertise, they relate some of the “major events impacting the flow of life and traffic in the Los Angeles freeway systems” and how to navigate the following aftermath.

The largest portion of the book is dedicated to the major freeway events and what we can learn from them. First, an overview of the event is given. Next, Baugh describes what happened and what he saw from the sky as he reported on it. Finally, Baron dives into the emotional, physical, and psychological repercussions that could be experienced and how to handle them. Some of the events include the Rodney King verdict riots, a suicide on a major transition, the O.J. Simpson car chase, an earthquake, and even the infamous Carmageddon. The remainder of the book provides practical advice on leading a more productive life using various traffic metaphors.

I really enjoyed this book. I am a Southern California native. I remember several of these events when they happened, but it was interesting to get an in-depth analysis from two different points of view. Even if you are not from California you will still find the events interesting and the advice applicable to everyday life. This book is also something of a workbook, with lines to write down thoughts and answers to prompts given by the authors. This book was also easy to read with short, manageable chapters and sections. The tone is very conversational and upbeat.

I give Stick With Us and We’ll Get You There by Mary Walker Baron and Jeff Baugh 4 out of 4 stars. This book was a delightful read. The stories were interesting, the advice was helpful, and the writing was entertaining. I only noticed one grammatical error but it did not detract from the overall enjoyment of the book. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a light read filled with excellent insights.

Stick With Us And We'll Get You There
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like k2rugman's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I find it captivating that the authors use their radio experience to offer advice. This sounds fun and helpful. When I'm in the mood for a self-help book, I'll keep this one in mind.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

What a unique concept! Self-help through highway happenings/catastrophes... I'm pretty sure this book is the first of its kind. Thanks for the review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

It is somewhat worrisome how little we think of the fact that every drive on the freeway could be our last. I love that this book informs on how to deal with various situations on the road; This is crucial knowledge to somehow mitigate the perilous undertaking. Because of this, I believe that this book is a must-read, even for non-California dwellers. Great review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

I did find the freeway analogies to be very unique and applicable! And because most everyone drives, readers will find them entertaining and relatable.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”