Official Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Official Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Doughnut Boy" by Michael R. Dennis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Doughnut Boy, written by Michael Dennis, is an interesting, detailed look into the secrecy surrounding spies and other government agents during WWII. Dennis’ father, James Dennis, had been a teenage spy recruited by the U.S. government to spy on Germany. He delivered pastries to the army headquarters in Berlin and gathered intelligence without being caught, because, “Who doesn’t love the doughnut boy?”. However, James’ file has been sealed until 2045, so Dennis grew up with very little information about what his father actually did.

The book details Michael Dennis’ childhood, teen, and college years and his father’s influence over him, then goes in depth about Dennis’ research trying to find out more about his father. His father, of course, could not tell him much, but Dennis was able to piece together some circumstantial evidence to try and figure out at least where he’d been and when. The amount of in-depth research is staggering – it sounds like something my own father would be interested in, as ancestry and historical research is one of his passions.

I was impressed with how clean and professional the book was. There was not a single typo or grammatical error that I noticed. The book was well-organized and very detailed. Photos, images of old documents, and clearly separated entries from historical records are interspersed with the author’s commentary toward the end of the book, and you can feel his frustration while digging through these complex and not-always-truthful official statements trying to get at what really happened.

The only issue I had with this book was a small one, but it felt like a bigger deal while I was reading it than it does now. I feel like the book’s title and synopsis slightly misrepresent what the book is about. This is not a book about the author’s father – it’s more of the author’s autobiography, with emphasis on his father’s influence and the author’s search for the truth of what his father did during the war. Most of the information about “the doughnut boy” are the author recounting conversations with his father in which small amounts of his father’s experience is mentioned but is definitely not the hair-raising escapades I was hoping for when I first read the synopsis.

I give The Doughnut Boy 3 out of 4 stars for its readability and detail. The only reason I took off a point is that I think it only appeals to certain audiences, namely those who are interested in detailed history and genealogy. I personally enjoyed reading it, but I feel I would have enjoyed it more if this had been a topic I was passionate about.

The Doughnut Boy
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kathryn Price's review? Post a comment saying so!
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Thanks for you review. It sounds like the author did a very thorough job on his research, but I agree that the target audience may turn out to be quite small.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds as if it had the potential to be an exciting account of spy escapades, but lost out because of a lack of accurate historical information. When I saw the picture on the cover, I thought it was going to be something to do with Pilsbury donuts - I had no idea it would be a war account.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

I've always been interested in the war and war effort. How different people managed to help and what they did. But I don't think I'll like the fact that it doesn't appear to have any storyline. Thanks for the honest review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can understand your confusion regarding the title and synopsis. It still sounds interesting, though. There aren't that many books out there about spies during the war. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Michael has a strong interest in learning more about his father's past. I wonder how hard he pressed his father to reveal what had happened. I enjoyed your review. This looks good. Thanks.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a very detailed search for answers for his father's role in the war. I agree with you that it would only be suitable for a fairly small group of readers. Thanks for the review.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Okay, according to your review, Michael Dennis would have done better. I'm usually captivated by WWII like The Wamarunga's War, but this one seems like a pass. Thank you for such insightful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”