Official Review: Glad to be a Dad; Calm to be a Mom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Glad to be a Dad; Calm to be a Mom

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Glad to be a Dad; Calm to be a Mom" by David Holden.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Moms and dads who understand that parenting is a journey, rather than a destination, benefit greatly by allowing joy to become their strength."

In Glad to be a Dad; Calm to be a Mom, David Holden states, "I want fathers to associate the joy they feel in being a dad with the joy our Heavenly Father feels being our Abba Father." Likewise, he compares the calmness mothers experience with the disciples' assurance that "Jesus could calm any storm." Holden stresses that his family is not perfect; rather than being a how-to parenting book, he emphasizes why God desires to use us as parents. Holden's thoughts are supported by scripture references, and with the purpose of encouraging parents to enjoy the process, he provides a devotional study guide at the end of the book.

Written from a Christian perspective, the book is organized and easy to understand. Parenting concepts related to communication, trust, forgiveness, love, security, discipline, sibling relationships, and stewardship are addressed. Holden presents examples of the parenting style he and his wife have implemented over the years with their children, who are now in their twenties. However, his assertion holds true; the book answers more questions about the reasons and motivations for parenting, as opposed to the typical how-to book.

Holden's transparency related to the challenges he faced as a father was refreshing, and I appreciated his honesty regarding that there are no guarantees when it comes to parenting. He refers to the often-quoted Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Holden conveys that the verse reveals a tendency but is not an absolute, as free will must be considered; "parental obedience to the word of God does not guarantee a life filled with hope and salvation for their children." At the same time, the anecdotes he shares about his family and excerpts written by his children confirm the scripture's relevance and ultimately, God's faithfulness.

I particularly liked Holden's illustrations of the significance of simply taking time and being present for our children. For example, he suggests taking the opportunity during the dinner conversation to ask each child their best and worst moments of the day. Here, he stresses the importance of active listening to promote communication, trust, and feeling valued within the family. I also love their tradition of planning a celebratory family hike for each child's thirteenth birthday. Friends or mentors were stationed at half-mile intervals to offer counsel, and the end of the hike concluded with family prayer and the presentation of a special notebook filled with encouraging words.

There wasn't anything I disliked about the book's content. Unfortunately, there were over ten incorrectly capitalized words, preventing me from giving it a perfect score. To be clear, the errors I counted were not phrases coined by Holden that he chose to capitalize, but common nouns such as "Divorce" and "Coaching."

Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to the targeted audience of Christian parents of children ranging from toddlers through the preteen years. However, I would extend the recommendation to parents of teenagers and young adults and even grandparents, due to its wealth of information. Readers do not necessarily need to agree with all of Holden's beliefs to take something away from the book. However, I would not recommend it to readers who dislike reading a Christian perspective.

Glad to be a Dad; Calm to be a Mom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Juju15
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juju15.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Juju15 »

This sounds like an original book with an interesting perspective that can be enjoyed by a religious or not audience. Thanks for your review! :D
Hyscy_2018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hyscy_2018 »

I like the part about being there always for your children... Like they would say, 'If you don't get close to them a young age and tell you things, they wouldn't do that at an adult age '...
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Juju15 wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 02:38 This sounds like an original book with an interesting perspective that can be enjoyed by a religious or not audience. Thanks for your review! :D
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Hyscy_2018 wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 08:35 I like the part about being there always for your children... Like they would say, 'If you don't get close to them a young age and tell you things, they wouldn't do that at an adult age '...
Thanks for your comment.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

What a refreshing book that addresses the whole family! I love the title and the advice, although I agree, it may appeal to a limited audience. Great insights in your review. Thanks.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I like the author's willingness to admit he is not a perfect parent. The idea of a guide book instead of a how to book appears to be original and useful.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not a parent, but I like how the author compares parenting to our heavenly father. It might be worth reading just for that. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 12:09 What a refreshing book that addresses the whole family! I love the title and the advice, although I agree, it may appeal to a limited audience. Great insights in your review. Thanks.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 15:42 I like the author's willingness to admit he is not a perfect parent. The idea of a guide book instead of a how to book appears to be original and useful.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 19:55 I'm not a parent, but I like how the author compares parenting to our heavenly father. It might be worth reading just for that. Thanks for the review.
The approach you mentioned is one of the things that first drew me to the book. I appreciate your comment.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

Being a parent is not an easy thing. I would not mind reading this book, to get more insight on parenting. Thanks for the good review
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Michgal 32 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 14:43 Being a parent is not an easy thing. I would not mind reading this book, to get more insight on parenting. Thanks for the good review
Truer words were never spoken! You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I like that this author was willing to share his wisdom from years of experience. With his kids being in their twenties he has the benefit of passing time to be able to look back and see more clearly what went well, or didn't go well. Sounds like an edifying read. Thank you for a great review.
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

I was trying to figure out the title of this book. Perhaps I should have guessed it was a religious book. Then again, I still don't know why men need to be glad and women need to be calm.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”