Official Review: A Journey of Hope to Heaven and Back

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Official Review: A Journey of Hope to Heaven and Back

Post by Mindi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Journey of Hope to Heaven and Back" by Jeanne Enstad.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have had the privilege of reading Jeanne Enstad's very uplifting book, A Journey of Hope to Heaven and Back. Ms. Enstad's personal journey described in her book is one that should leave the reader in awe of the fact that one woman has faced so much turmoil and pain, yet still has come out of it all with a positive outlook on life.

Jeanne Enstad is a woman who has experienced many various health struggles during her adult life. She has had heart surgery, cancer, complications from a car accident, along with other various ailments. At the introduction of the book, Enstad tells the reader of her late mother's influence on her to write this book throughout her struggles. It was during all of those sufferings that Jeanne put together notes and musings, almost like a diary, that would later come together to make this book after her mother's death. Jeanne was a single mother during all of the years of her health issues, and continued to provide for her children in the midst of all of her hospitalizations and ailments. Chapter after chapter, she tells of the different surgeries and brushes with death that she has had during all of this suffering. Yet the backbone of the story is her musings on her spiritual life and how she would not be where she is now without the help of God. A few different times, she came close to death in the hospital bed and actually saw herself in heaven which boosted her spiritual life even more.

I really enjoyed Ms. Enstad's form of writing. She didn't try to use eloquent language. She just had a down-to-earth way of explaining everything that happened to her. I was drawn into this life-changing story of hers because I enjoy hearing about encounters with God and heaven and the ways that these experiences have given people a new outlook on the life they have. Jeanne spent many chapters just explaining everything she has learned about God, and these musings brought about many life lessons.

One of my favorite aspects of this book was the fact that Jeanne pointed out many times about the people that her health journey has affected in positive ways. Friends, nurses, and people she did not even know were changed by Jeanne's strength and positive, spiritual outlook on life. She made a reference to Paul in the Bible and how his suffering and time in jail brought about positive changes in the lives of those who were around him because of his continued trust in God. Jeanne feels that even though she went through so much pain, others around her would not have been changed for the better without seeing her journey.

I really don't have anything negative to say about the book. It was lengthy, but it gave great detail into every experience that Jeanne had. I noticed about 3 very small grammatical mistakes, but overall, this book was extremely well-edited.

I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend Jeanne Enstad's story to those looking for spiritual uplifting and hope. It might not be the best story for those who don't prefer mentions of spiritual matters. However, it does not talk about specific religious beliefs. It's just about everything that trusting in God had taught her. I would encourage anyone who is feeling down due to health or other struggles in life to take a look at this story, as it is very positive and encouraging.

A Journey of Hope to Heaven and Back
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mindi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a very inspirational story to be read by anyone, but, especially, someone who is sick. I'm glad she made it through her difficult times, and that it drew her closer to God. Good review!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

While I have not struggled first hand with the health issues Jeanne has, my mom and dad both have. For this reason, I am extremely drawn to this book. According to your thorough review, I feel I could learn a lot about how to handle all of life's struggles gracefully by channeling my inner Jeanne. Thank you for reading and reviewing the book and bringing it to our (my) attention!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

Sometimes the people who have been through the most pain are actually life's biggest optimists. I don't think I'll ever understand that, but maybe this book will help.
Thanks for the review!
shereads shereads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shereads shereads »

It sounds like the author was able to not only survive, but come out stronger from an experience that would make most people want to give up. I love that she shared her story and her faith to help inspire others.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely sounds like the author has been through SO much. I'm glad that she had positive influences along the way and that she is willing to share her journey with us. Thanks for the great review; I'll have to look into it further.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Radiant3 »

An admirable woman who maintained her faith through difficult experiences. A very uplifting and motivational story. Thank you for the great review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Many people who suffer with so many medical issues come to the conclusion that God doesn't love them. This author's positive reaction to her health problems is indeed motivational and uplifting. Thanks for this great recommendation!
digwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-digwe.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by digwe »

A Journey of Hope to Heaven and Back does exhibit rare opinions that would go a long way in healing the numerous souls wounded as a result of the activities of a cold and cruel world.
Jojomills

Post by Jojomills »

Her getting sick open up her eyes. This story is very inspirational. I loved it.
Hasham

Post by Hasham »

Seems to me a worthy-to-read book
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

Your review of this book has encouraged me to think possitively and trust in God. The book is worth reading.
Bombey Marjorie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bombey-marjorie.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Bombey Marjorie »

Thank you Mindi. From your review, I know that reading this book will encourage my faith and hope. While I may not not have experienced challenges that are as difficult as the ones the author has, I'm certain that I'll fine the comfort and strength I need in her story.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Enstad is a courageous woman. She has been through so much, and yet she persevered and stayed strong. I have added this book to my reading list. Thanks for the inspirational review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Jake1020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Jake1020 »

A Journey of hope to Heaven and back!!
By: Jeanne Enstad
This book is very interesting. I have enjoyed reading about the ups and downs that she has had in her life. She is a very strong and outgoing woman. She has had so many set backs. She has had faith in God and kept him by her side.

I would suggest anyone to read this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”