Review of God's Clear Voice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of God's Clear Voice

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God's Clear Voice" by Anthony Mark Ortiz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you read the Bible? Do you believe what the Bible says? Do you think God still speaks to people the same way today as he did in biblical times? These are questions readers must ask themselves as they consider God’s Clear Voice by Anthony Mark Ortiz.

Like Joseph, the favorite son of the Old Testament patriarch Jacob, Ortiz was imprisoned for a crime he did not commit and with a dream to be fulfilled. Like the prophet Ezekiel, Ortiz reports on what he saw in the spiritual realm while engaged in spiritual warfare. And like the apostle John, Ortiz shares prophetic visions of the end times. The prospect of reading first-hand accounts of these experiences attracted me to this book, but when the author began describing his first encounter, I will admit skepticism crept in. As a Spirit-filled Christian, I was concerned about the validity of his accounts; however, I consider myself a Berean, spoken about in the book of Acts: they would listen intently to religious teachings and then verify what they heard with what was in the Bible. Feeling confidant in my Berean approach, I continued. In the next paragraph, the author referred the reader to the chapter in Acts describing the Bereans and encouraged the reader to do the very thing I had just resolved to do. This interaction with the author was reassuring.

Ortiz shares other miraculous circumstances in his life: a childhood dream about being falsely incarcerated that he had forgotten about until it was fulfilled years later; a phone conversation with his mother shortly before she died despite phone calls from his prison being banned; and his future wife’s multiple dreams that she and Ortiz would marry, even though she did not want him in her life because he was incarcerated. In every situation, the author provides relevant biblical references to show God’s involvement.

Although I did not agree with every interpretation the author shared, this read reinforced concepts that encouraged me in my spiritual walk. One of my key takeaways was in Ortiz’s discussion about a spiritual-warfare encounter in the prison cell he shared with a cellmate. When he moved to that cell, other inmates warned him that the cell was cursed and suggested he request a different cell. He did not ask to be moved, and before long, he was experiencing the aggressive behavior and violent tendencies others warned him about. His description of how he and his cellmate dealt with that situation will be both informative and validating to those familiar with spiritual warfare.

The author does an excellent job of including scripture, but the inline quoting of the biblical text disrupts the flow of the narrative. The unique feature of this read is sharing spiritual warfare and prophetic dreams and visions through the author’s actual experiences, not theoretical exposition. I would have preferred the text focus on his encounters and back them up with scripture rather than go through pages of scripture before getting to the encounters. For example, at one point, the volume of scriptural references presented felt like a Bible study on the armor of God; while this was valuable and a prerequisite for understanding some of his experiences, it was so detailed that it took a while to refocus when the narrative returned to the incident he was describing.

The recommended audience for this book is a person who studies the Bible and believes it is as true now as when it was written. However, to get the most from this read, the reader should also be willing to entertain a literal interpretation of what is written in the Bible. I rate God’s Clear Voice 3 out of 4 stars. I found more than ten grammatical errors, but they did not disrupt my reading experience. Besides the number of grammatical errors, I deducted a star because of the previously mentioned balance issues.

God's Clear Voice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

"Do you think God still speaks to people the same way today as he did in biblical times? " - I'm not sure if God still speaks to people the way He did in biblical times but I am certain that He still speaks. My desire is to hear His voice crystal clear.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Very interesting.
The author's accounts warrant some thinking.
Perhaps if we get past our scepticism, we'll realise there might be something there.

Great review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

The title drew me in and I'd like to see how this author represents God's voice. This will be a thought-provoking read. Thank you for your review.
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Interesting read, spiritual warfare is very vital in one's life, and the title is very captivating, because a lot of people today want to hear from God, while some claim to hear not knowing their mind is playing tricks on them. Good review.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Seems like a spiritual book that will bring an individual in track with God. Thanks for the review.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Ty so much for you very thought provoking and detailed review. I would love to find this book or even a sampling and read it. I do enjoy books that have mini Bible type studies embedded in them.
Ty again for your great review.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Bring a firm believer of the fact that God still speaks to his people, I think I will thoroughly enjoy this book. Great review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I'm interested in the prophetic visions of the author.
I haven't read enough of the Bible, so the references may help refresh my mind.
Thanks for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Nqobile771 wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 01:25 "Do you think God still speaks to people the same way today as he did in biblical times? " - I'm not sure if God still speaks to people the way He did in biblical times but I am certain that He still speaks. My desire is to hear His voice crystal clear.
Here’s to your desire being granted.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

zainherb wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 02:26 Very interesting.
The author's accounts warrant some thinking.
Perhaps if we get past our scepticism, we'll realise there might be something there.

Great review.
Yes, I believe that even in our skepticism, if we are thoughtfully considering what is before us, it is a worthwhile exercise.

Thank you for stopping by to read and comment, zainherb!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Victor Kilyungi wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 04:43 The title drew me in and I'd like to see how this author represents God's voice. This will be a thought-provoking read. Thank you for your review.
It is indeed a thought-provoking read. I hope you enjoy it! Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Miriam nkere wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 08:41 Interesting read, spiritual warfare is very vital in one's life, and the title is very captivating, because a lot of people today want to hear from God, while some claim to hear not knowing their mind is playing tricks on them. Good review.
Indeed, discernment is key. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Mercy Osmond wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 15:13 Seems like a spiritual book that will bring an individual in track with God. Thanks for the review.
It will definitely send them to their Bible!
Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Sheilaread wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 00:38 Ty so much for you very thought provoking and detailed review. I would love to find this book or even a sampling and read it. I do enjoy books that have mini Bible type studies embedded in them.
Ty again for your great review.
I hope you have the chance to check out this book. Thank you so much for stopping by.
Rosa Parks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”