Multiverse and Variants

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Anil G
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Icon Multiverse and Variants

Post by Anil G »

How can one believe that there is a different variant of the other and everything they do will impact the other also, but in this book, Gary's other variants are not much affected by the murder of Michelle and what about the character's variants? I think the author missed some of the storylines because he wanted the book to be well understood by the readers.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

I m not so sure about this. But as far as i know, the other worldlines (variants as you called them) are not really impacted by the other. What the author suggested was that the impact can only be made while lucid dreaming or hallucinating or maybe literally dreaming.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Anil G »

yomide wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 11:11 I m not so sure about this. But as far as I know, the other worldlines (variants as you called them) are not impacted by the other. What the author suggested was that the impact can only be made while lucid dreaming or hallucinating or maybe literally dreaming.
Yes, you're right about what the author had suggested, but I was comparing the multiverse theory to the author's story. The author emphasized most of Gary's worldlines. I hope the author has put some more character's worldlines in the sequel of this book!
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Anilllll wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 03:47
yomide wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 11:11 I m not so sure about this. But as far as I know, the other worldlines (variants as you called them) are not impacted by the other. What the author suggested was that the impact can only be made while lucid dreaming or hallucinating or maybe literally dreaming.
Yes, you're right about what the author had suggested, but I was comparing the multiverse theory to the author's story. The author emphasized most of Gary's worldlines. I hope the author has put some more character's worldlines in the sequel of this book!
As a matter of fact, the author didn't emphasize most of Gary's worldlines, but only a few out of infinite possible ones. Extremely small selection, to be precise.
And I'm not sure how the actions of one of the Garys would be supposed to impact the others while there was no contact among them. If the universe would work that way, that would be quite a mess... The only one he impacted, as @yomide said, was in the case when he was lucid dreaming and acted in the name of the other self.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 07:21
As a matter of fact, the author didn't emphasize most of Gary's worldlines, but only a few out of infinite possible ones. Extremely small selection, to be precise.
And I'm not sure how the actions of one of the Garys would be supposed to impact the others while there was no contact among them. If the universe would work that way, that would be quite a mess... The only one he impacted, as @yomide said, was in the case when he was lucid dreaming and acted in the name of the other self.
Multiverse works well when considering only one person impacting the other worldlines. Imagine the to difficulty involved in more than one of the characters impacting each worldline. The story would really be fast paced. Maybe intriguing for some readers.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Anil G »

ROSEYANN wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 19:58
Anna Bookowski wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 07:21

Multiverse works well when considering only one person impacting the other worldlines. Imagine the to difficulty involved in more than one of the characters impacting each worldline. The story would really be fast paced. Maybe intriguing for some readers.
That makes sense! If more than one character worldines will do some impact then it would have been a mess and to understand it will be a real task for the reader.
Nancy Morara
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy-morara.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Nancy Morara »

Anilllll wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 04:24 How can one believe that there is a different variant of the other and everything they do will impact the other also, but in this book, Gary's other variants are not much affected by the murder of Michelle and what about the character's variants? I think the author missed some of the storylines because he wanted the book to be well understood by the readers.
The other Garys aren't affected by the impact of the black line Gary's action because they aren't the one's lucid dreaming. The real Gary is the only one lucid dreaming and that's why he is gravely affected by the impact of Mitchell's murder.
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

Guest basically does use the same concept as the multiverse theory and adds a twist that you can have an effect on yourself by lucid dreaming. That being said, maybe he did just leave out the worldlines that the killing had no effect on, only giving information that the reader would find useful and not overburden his audience.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

I agree with the last comment, the author does change some aspects of the other characters in the different lines but all in all these few changes impact mostly Gary and his entire plot. In terms of the multiverse theory the book deals with someone who has access to his very own self in other realms by lucid dreaming, I do not think it actually works that way. If we are talking about multiverses we are talking different timelines as well, so it does not make a lot of sense for him to remain the same age and very similar characteristics to what is his original line.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I think the other multiverse individuals are only affected when they lucid dream, unless the effect that this has is so minor that it's hardly noticeable. Since there are so many variants and multiverse Gary's, I think it would be quite chaotic if all of their actions had a large effect on each other.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Anil G »

Benaron wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:45 Guest basically does use the same concept as the multiverse theory and adds a twist that you can have an effect on yourself by lucid dreaming. That being said, maybe he did just leave out the worldlines that the killing had no effect on, only giving information that the reader would find useful and not overburden his audience.
Yeah! That may be a possibility and no author wants to overburden their audience to understand the plot. They will try their best to simplify the plots. Adam Guest did the same and explains it nicely by focusing on the main characters.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Anil G »

Ana Victoria2002 wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 13:12 I agree with the last comment, the author does change some aspects of the other characters in the different lines but all in all these few changes impact mostly Gary and his entire plot. In terms of the multiverse theory the book deals with someone who has access to his very own self in other realms by lucid dreaming, I do not think it actually works that way. If we are talking about multiverses we are talking different timelines as well, so it does not make a lot of sense for him to remain the same age and very similar characteristics to what is his original line.
Yes! The author did miss the timelines of the multiverse too as there is a minor chance that Gary's worldlines would be of the same age and the same look also. Again the author would've missed it because to simplify the plots of worldlines!
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Anil G »

Arite Seki wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 15:10 I think the other multiverse individuals are only affected when they lucid dream, unless the effect that this has is so minor that it's hardly noticeable. Since there are so many variants and multiverse Gary's, I think it would be quite chaotic if all of their actions had a large effect on each other.
Yeah, I think it was necessary to miss the variants of the other character and to focus on Gary's worldlines otherwise, as you said, it would have been chaotic and many readers won't understand what's happening!
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

I think the author makes sense. There could be an impact only between the variants that are in contact. So, other variants that had no contact would not be impacted as such since the variants are defined by all possible possibilities of existence.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Anil G »

lumenchristi wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 06:38 I think the author makes sense. There could be an impact only between the variants that are in contact. So, other variants that had no contact would not be impacted as such since the variants are defined by all possible possibilities of existence.
Yes, you're right! The other variants are not impacted because they're not in contact with the ones affecting each other worldlines. And this variant which is related to Michelle murder is not getting affected by the act of any other variants of Gary!

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”