Pictures at the end or in context?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Pictures at the end or in context?

Post by cd20 »

JB3 wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 01:59 I prefer the pictures to be next to the content so that way they are easier to refer to and do not require flipping through a bunch of pages to get to them, or scrolling as the case may be.
I agree completely. It is much worse when you are on an e-reader, as most of us are. It makes it much harder to get back to the topic the picture might be referring to. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Chinecherem A wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 03:38 I think it makes more sense to have the pictures placed in context. But having pictures at the end is a welcome surprise too.
I do prefer them to be in context as well. I was surprised by the pictures being at the end, it was quite unexpected. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

A lot would affirm that having pictures in the story. The pictures are meant to give the readers some visual aid to the context being narrated.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Mstrtim wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 12:21 I found the photos at the end to be a welcomed surprise, and a lovely way to close out the book. I think that since some of them represented the time of the author's illness, it would have been very distracting had they been included with the text.
I wonder how distracting they could be. Her illness was one of her rough times. It wouldn't be bad showing some pictures, unless she felt some readers might mind having a look at it
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

I prefer the pictures should have been placed in the story to give readers a better understanding of what is being talked about at that point in time.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Eutoc wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 23:01 A lot would affirm that having pictures in the story. The pictures are meant to give the readers some visual aid to the context being narrated.
I am fine with pictures in the story, my question was whether you liked the pictures in context or at the end of the story. I prefer them to be in context, especially if it takes me a while to read the book because I forget what the pictures are referring to. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

I would have preferred the pictures in the story. So as I read, I get a graphic representation or description of the story where necessary.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Purplesturv wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 13:40 I would have preferred the pictures in the story. So as I read, I get a graphic representation or description of the story where necessary.
I am the same. I can't always visualize what someone is talking about, but pictures certainly help. Also, if it has taken me a while to finish a book, then I might forget what they are talking about. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
GYRO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gyro.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B08CHZGPCB

Post by GYRO »

Personally, I would agree that pictures should be at the end. Without pictures, it is easy to remain focused on the text. Pictures are sometimes a major distraction to the topic. So, in my opinion, they should be kept at the end.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

GYRO wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 10:39 Personally, I would agree that pictures should be at the end. Without pictures, it is easy to remain focused on the text. Pictures are sometimes a major distraction to the topic. So, in my opinion, they should be kept at the end.
It is very much a personal preference. I prefer them in context so I will know what they are referring to. I do not find them a distraction at all while I am reading. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

I would have preferred to have each photo in context as I feel photos throughout the book aid understanding for the reader.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

WADonnelly wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 11:47 I would have preferred to have each photo in context as I feel photos throughout the book aid understanding for the reader.
I am right there with you. I really enjoy the pictures in context. If it has taken me a while to read a book then I am likely to have forgotten what they are talking about by the time I get to the end of the book. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Maria_Kubicova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-kubicova.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Maria_Kubicova »

I would prefer to have pictures in the context, it makes more sense to me. However, I wouldn't mind seeing them all together at the end as a good summary.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I prefer to have the pictures in the text when they are mentioned. It makes an impact to read the words and then see the photo. I feel the visual cements the point in the readers' minds.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

I agree with your point. I think stories with pictures in between the text, can be used as a reference and make it easier to understand the text. Putting them at the very end doesn’t help because the specific details fade away as we progress more into the book.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”