Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Post by cd20 »

The author states, "We should be able to agree that everyone during his or her life will require some form of medical care. Given this, it is not a choice, but honestly a necessity for all (p79)." Do you agree or disagree with this?
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I would think throughout a persons lifetime, that we would ALL need insurance at one time in our lives. So I would side with the “nessesity” part
Danelle Cale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danelle-cale.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danelle Cale »

I definitely agree with the author that it's not a choice. A person never knows when health issues will pop up in their life. For example, I wasn't expecting to have chronic illnesses in my thirties that would affect nearly every aspect of my life. I am just thankful I had health insurance that covered my bills. Health insurance is definitely a necessity.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

Yes!!
I agree with the author that healthcare is a necessity because if left up to people alone they would rather not require medication and they will end up hurting themselves more but at the end of the day the majority of the population of the world don’t even have access to proper health care system while some still depend on traditional (sometimes inefficient or dangerous) treatments and there are also the religious ones who believe God will heal than And consciously chose not to seek medical care. So while health care is a necessity, people still reserve the right to do whatever they want. They may go to a hospital or not, or may want to go but not have access to any so it all boils down to the individual in question. Do they want to make health care a Meredith l necessity in their or not?
Abisolalawal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abisolalawal.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Abisolalawal »

Health care and insurance is a necessity in my opinion. There are times when unforseen circumstances happens and it is better to be prepared than to be sorry and add pressure of raising funds to the health pressure already on ground. So health insurance is a necessity
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

I completely agree - no person spends their whole life outside of medical care. Every single human being will require medical attention at some point, and as we age it gets more and more inevitable. Often our need for healthcare is totally out of our control, but the cost of it is so expensive. Additionally, many healthcare problems disproportionately affect those who happen to earn less money and cannot afford the care they need (if they are in certain countries). For that reason, free healthcare should be considered a human right.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Healthcare is no doubt a necessity, you can need it even without medical issues (for example, pregnancy and childbirth). But the insurance part depends on the system, and there are countries where the health system is entirely free. In my country, we have a mixed one, part public and part private, and people without health insurance can obtain healthcare regardless.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I absolutely agree with the author. It definitely is not a choice. No matter how much you take care of yourself, do exercise or yoga or eat healthy food. Everyone must have a health insurance.
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

In today's world, healthcare is a necessity in all aspects. Everyone requires healthcare at least once, if not more, in their lifetime. Right from birth till the end, there is no guarantee of life. Accidents happen, pandemics happen. Healthcare must be guaranteed to all.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

Healthcare is a necessity, we cannot be too sure that we don't have any underlying issues in our bodies. Treatments are not easy so it is better to have one before it is too late.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I agree that it is not a choice, but due to the high costs of health insurance, it is often a choice that is necessary to be made.. Can I afford to have health insurance on the chance that I will need it? Or would I rather use the funds to feed myself and my family? How long can I gamble? For some, it is simply a luxury that cannot be afforded, even if it is a dangerous gamble to be taken.
mbhuibregtse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbhuibregtse.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by mbhuibregtse »

Healthcare is a necessity. Everyone is at risk to needing healthcare and I don't believe that some people need it more than others.
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 23:11 I would think throughout a persons lifetime, that we would ALL need insurance at one time in our lives. So I would side with the “nessesity” part
I would agree with that as well. It does not feel much like a choice, but rather a necessary evil. It's hard for people to afford insurance, but I imagine it's a lot worse without it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Danelle Cale wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 00:10 I definitely agree with the author that it's not a choice. A person never knows when health issues will pop up in their life. For example, I wasn't expecting to have chronic illnesses in my thirties that would affect nearly every aspect of my life. I am just thankful I had health insurance that covered my bills. Health insurance is definitely a necessity.
I agree, it's not really a choice. You are right, we never know when something will crop up, but it is better to be safe than sorry. I think in a lot of places you get better care too, if you have insurance. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 00:31 Yes!!
I agree with the author that healthcare is a necessity because if left up to people alone they would rather not require medication and they will end up hurting themselves more but at the end of the day the majority of the population of the world don’t even have access to proper health care system while some still depend on traditional (sometimes inefficient or dangerous) treatments and there are also the religious ones who believe God will heal than And consciously chose not to seek medical care. So while health care is a necessity, people still reserve the right to do whatever they want. They may go to a hospital or not, or may want to go but not have access to any so it all boils down to the individual in question. Do they want to make health care a Meredith l necessity in their or not?
I agree that it boils down to the person in question. I also think that most people would agree that it is not a choice, although we are given a choice. While you are spending money on health insurance, it does lower your out of pocket costs for medicine and appointments if you have insurance. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”