Is it useful only to US residents?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Is it useful only to US residents?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The author is a US based doctor and her book is based on US healthcare system. Is this book only useful for US residents or is it applicable universally? What are the controversial or unusual points that you noticed comparatively to your own experience on your healthcare system?

For an example, in my country, each and every citizen is entitled for '100% free of charge' healthcare facilities. There are few lacking areas because everything has to be provided by the government. But there is no need to have a health insurance to get hospitalised or no need to go through a primary healthcare practitioner to reach a speciality. But if anyone wants, there are plenty of options in the private sector as well.
Bookreviewer71
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer71.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear Continues by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Bookreviewer71 »

Though the technicalities regarding the medical system given in the book are relevant only to the US residents, the basic ideas in the book regarding care providers, minimizing out-of-pocket expenses and, choosing the right insurance plan are commonly acceptable.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Bookreviewer71 wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 05:29 Though the technicalities regarding the medical system given in the book are relevant only to the US residents, the basic ideas in the book regarding care providers, minimizing out-of-pocket expenses and, choosing the right insurance plan are commonly acceptable.
I see. Different countries have different healthcare systems and associated practices. But the basics are same in many places and seemingly this author has written this book in a way that anyone can get a general idea about many aspects which are related to business of healthcare.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I am sure that a lot can be applicable to outside of the USA as there are relevant things like, as you say, private healthcare and therefore the need for health insurance. However, I am also lucky to be from a country that has free healthcare (the UK), which means that a lot of what is said is not applicable to me, but I do understand what is be spoken about, so in a way it is useful to learn about the system in the US even if it not applicable to me.

I think that it is controversial that Americans have to pay for even the most basic rights how human health, especially because it makes it so much less accessible for those who cannot afford it. The healthcare system should not be a business, capitalising from it is not right. That is what I see as the most controversial thing, especially comparing it to the healthcare system we have here in the UK.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Sushan Ekanayake

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 07:24 I am sure that a lot can be applicable to outside of the USA as there are relevant things like, as you say, private healthcare and therefore the need for health insurance. However, I am also lucky to be from a country that has free healthcare (the UK), which means that a lot of what is said is not applicable to me, but I do understand what is be spoken about, so in a way it is useful to learn about the system in the US even if it not applicable to me.

I think that it is controversial that Americans have to pay for even the most basic rights how human health, especially because it makes it so much less accessible for those who cannot afford it. The healthcare system should not be a business, capitalising from it is not right. That is what I see as the most controversial thing, especially comparing it to the healthcare system we have here in the UK.
Can you please tell me whether UK is having a government based healthcare system, which is totally free for any UK resident, or is it based on a health insurance system in which everyone is enrolled in it, so no one has to pay out of one's own pocket for healthcare services.

I agree. Healthcare should not be a business for profit. But on the other hand, how can the health related service-people live unless they make a profit out of it?
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

No, the book is not relevant to US residents alone. The book is helpful to everyone who intends to take their health seriously going forward and those that are or have a cancer patient to attend to, regardless of whatever part of the world they are in.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 07:40
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 07:24 I am sure that a lot can be applicable to outside of the USA as there are relevant things like, as you say, private healthcare and therefore the need for health insurance. However, I am also lucky to be from a country that has free healthcare (the UK), which means that a lot of what is said is not applicable to me, but I do understand what is be spoken about, so in a way it is useful to learn about the system in the US even if it not applicable to me.

Can you please tell me whether UK is having a government based healthcare system, which is totally free for any UK resident, or is it based on a health insurance system in which everyone is enrolled in it, so no one has to pay out of one's own pocket for healthcare services.

I agree. Healthcare should not be a business for profit. But on the other hand, how can the health related service-people live unless they make a profit out of it?
The UK has the National Health Service (NHS) which is funded by the government from general taxation. Every service it provides is free to everybody. The only thing paid for out of one's own pocket is medication and even then that is extremely cheap. It is £9.35 for all prescriptions currently, whereas in America it can cost up to, if not more than, $370 (and that depends on the medication you take, different meds and brands cost different amounts of money). In the UK, you only need insurance if you decide to go through a private hospital.

Health related service people (as you put it) are paid by the government through government funding. Private health workers are paid more due to it being private and depending on the nature of their work. It is very very possible for healthcare to be free and for the workers to be paid despite this. Why should America be profiting off of people's illness, and why should it be only accessible to those who can afford it?
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

It seems like there are some aspects that are related only to the US, but there are also some general points the author talks about that could apply to some other situations too. For example, where I live, we have a free healthcare system that is good, but not perfect, so there are some specific situations when we still have to spend money on our healthcare. However, the author brought some interesting techniques and arguments that were helpful to me.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Sushan wrote: 31 May 2021, 23:52 The author is a US based doctor and her book is based on US healthcare system. Is this book only useful for US residents or is it applicable universally? What are the controversial or unusual points that you noticed comparatively to your own experience on your healthcare system?

For an example, in my country, each and every citizen is entitled for '100% free of charge' healthcare facilities. There are few lacking areas because everything has to be provided by the government. But there is no need to have a health insurance to get hospitalised or no need to go through a primary healthcare practitioner to reach a speciality. But if anyone wants, there are plenty of options in the private sector as well.
It's the same in my country. We have government healthcare (which is not exactly luxurious or fast) and private physicians and hospitals, which are way too expensive. I don't think the author realizes she writes not only from a US-centric perspective but a privileged one. Even in the US, people who live paycheck to paycheck can't afford a Health Savings Account.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I think it's useful not only to US residents but, all around the world. The health care system may vary from country to country but the motive behind this book may be applied to many places.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

This book doesn't seem to be only relevant to US citizens, which I appreciate. Selecting the right primary care doctor for one's family, for example, is very brave important, and such issues are addressed. There is also free healthcare in my country, but even so, it is best to have access to health insurance if one is able to afford it.
Huini Hellen
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

This book is equally useful to everyone because it reminds them of the areas in theur countries that could be lacking and thus compare it with the systems put in place in the United States.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Worm Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-worm-reader.html
Latest Review: Jane Grace: Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner

Post by Worm Reader »

Mostly, I believe it is more relevant for US residents because it represents not only the specific medical system, but also other aspects related to it, such as medical insurance options and care providers. This things can also exist in other states but in different fonts
Gabrielle Sigaki

Bookreviewer71 wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 05:29 Though the technicalities regarding the medical system given in the book are relevant only to the US residents, the basic ideas in the book regarding care providers, minimizing out-of-pocket expenses and, choosing the right insurance plan are commonly acceptable.
Indeed, the book focuses on the healthcare system of the US, but there are some concepts that are common in other countries too. Even though there are some places where people don't need to pay for a private insurance plan because the government takes care of it. However, it's not the case everywhere, and this book shows the system in places where an insurance plan might be really beneficial.
Gabrielle Sigaki

It's really sad that in the US people have to pay for healthcare like this, some people with chronic diseases end up with huge debts because of medication. The author shows in this book some tips about having an insurance plan that might be helpful to those people, but it is still pretty sad that people should pay for such things indeed.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”