Is it useful only to US residents?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Is it useful only to US residents?

Post by Aarti Jha »

Though few things like the kind of healthcare insurance, were written keeping U.S. residents in mind but the book also useful for someone who would like to know about healthcare in general. The emphasis given on its importance is something that is relevant for anyone regardless of his nationality.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Healthcare systems differ from one nation to the other. Also, there does exist various similarities. A reader who's not from the US will certainly learn, or rather gain some value, from the book. Other systems can also learn and adopt a thing or two from the US system as well.
Cathy Barker
Currently Reading: High Adventure
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-barker.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Cathy Barker »

Chapters 1 to 11 are valuable chapters to patients living anywhere in the world. They cover such topics as advocating for yourself and protecting our loved ones from elder abuse. However, I live in Ontario, Canada, where we are fortunate to have our healthcare provided. Consequently, the chapters relating to US Health Insurance were irrelevant to me and, I believe to other patients living outside of the US.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This book is a good fit for everyone, not just US residents. Since we all have healthcare systems in our respective countries, this book will be helpful to us. Meanwhile, I think what's usual is that people have to pay for so much, even when it relates to their health.
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

I think it could apply to other countries. Where I live, healthcare is free. So it isn't as relevant to me as it would be for someone living in US or in another non-free healthcare country.
Peace Chux
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-chux.html

Post by Peace Chux »

I would say that the book is best suited for US citizens. However, some ideologies are practical not in all, but a good number of countries around the world. Sadly, there are some countries like mine, where health insurance is still relatively not developed, the healthcare system being far worse for the low class.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I don't think the book is relevant only to US residents. Everyone around the world has to take care of their health and everyone needs to be educated about the importance of health insurance. Free healthcare should be made available in all countries and I find it sad that people who cannot afford insurance or health assistance have to be turned away from medical facilities.
Ivan Nechaiev
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-nechaiev.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Ivan Nechaiev »

I don't think it would be useful only to U.S citizens because the book is widely describing the whole structure of commercial medicine. I think it would be helpful to take some knowledge and some tips with you after finishing the book. And I think it would be applicable to every country.
Ivy Mokote
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-mokote.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ivy Mokote »

I don't think the book is only relevant to those in the U.S. However, the U.S citizens stand to gain more from this book than any other people. But it also helps those from other countries avoid mistakes that we would otherwise make. I think the author has done well in making it relevant to different nationalities, but I think she could have done more.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I think the book is universally applicable since most countries lack universal healthcare. Residents and policy makers of such countries would benefit from the author's recommendations.
_Maduike
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Love
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduike.html
Latest Review: Firstborn Daddyman by Frank Bailey
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by _Maduike »

Barbara discusses the business of healthcare such that it is helpful to people in most parts of the world. I would however point out that it might not be very helpful in third world countries that do not have a very organized healthcare system and every single thing has to be paid for.
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

It is rightly said that the author is a US based doctor and this book is based on US healthcare system but that doesn't mean that this book is only relevant to the US residents as this book unfolds the importance of health care, insurance, emergency strategies which can be adopted by anyone.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

It would be daft to say that the book is useful to people only staying in US. Health issue is a versatile issue. Am not a resident of the US but I found this book very useful. No matter your geographical region this book is an eye opener to health problems and how you could handle them
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

Considering the fact that some countries do not massively require an individual to have access to a private healthcare insurance provider before they can get treatment for the most basic medical needs, then some of the information is only relevant for US residents.
However, some of these state sponsored health insurance systems, like the one in my country, are fraught with exceptions which the person may have to bear on their own if their illness falls under. In this context, such information will become handy for said non-US residents who decide to seek healthcare abroad.
Ellison Kinsley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellison-kinsley.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ellison Kinsley »

The book might be based on the US healthcare system but the general ideas are applicable in most countries. Most countries that have free healthcare provided by their government also have a private healthcare system. Therefore, I think the content is applicable (to some degree) in most healthcare systems.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”