Has she been honest about health insurance?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Re: Has she been honest about health insurance?

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I think the author is honest about health insurance and is providing well thought out and researched information about them. It is essential to have insurance as people could not afford the high medical bills they may encounter without it. It is important to study and understand all the small print so you know exactly what your policy entails.
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

Sushan wrote: 31 May 2021, 23:51 Do you feel the same as the author about health insurance? Have you had benefits because you had an insurance or had difficulties because you did not have an insurance? Has the author been honest or is she trying to market the insurance companies (she has dedicated three chapters of her book to talk about health insurance.)?
I personally think that health insurance is a bit of a scam, however I know that I'm biased since my country has a public healthcare system. The idea that you should have to pay for healthcare at all is so awful for me, since it creates a financial disparity between how people get help when they're sick. Health insurance companies pocket so much money per year just from people getting ill and suffering - to me it seems awful that someone could make a profit out of people suffering like that, without really helping them. For example, health insurance companies profited hugely off the recent global pandemic. Also, many health insurance claims get turned down, which in my opinion is really immoral. I'm not sure that portraying health insurance in a positive light is being honest about their true nature - profiting off a broken, corrupted system.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I think the author was honest about healthcare. It is a necessary evil. You automatically get better care if you have insurance, versus if you don't. I would imagine it is like that in most countries, if not all.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Abisolalawal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abisolalawal.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Abisolalawal »

The author is right with the insurance policy and I agree with the author on this. It is really alright to have an insurance plan for the sole purpose of having something on ground when there are cases of chronic disease for instance
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I think the public health issue is related to the insurance topic, so it's normal to discuss about it. It's more useful for the US residents, but I find the topic interesting and educational. It's good to know how things work in another country. It might be better or worse, of course :).
Karmiccookie
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Karmiccookie »

I think she's being honest by saying everyone needs access to insurance. The system itself is a mess, at least in the US, and from a patient standpoint you really do NEED insurance for adequate, lifelong health care.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

This book thoroughly describes the US healthcare system, which heavily relies on buying insurance. This is not the case in my country but I think she's honest on what happens in the US.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I feel that seeing as the author is herself suffering from a disease and her negligence of healthcare plans, her continued insistence on healthcare insurance is not a money grab but rather an experienced individual trying to impart the wisdom she gained through the mistakes she made on her readers.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Buk Nerd wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 11:07 I’m with the author on this. In Nigeria, good health insurance can be the difference between getting quality healthcare when you need it and being left to fend for yourself in the middle of an emergency. This is not to say the system is perfect, but most times it's better to have it.
If the system is good and the policies are okay I believe that it is better to have an insurance. But does that mean that the poor one will be left off in an emergency to be fend for himself? Because even the insurances care for those who pay them, unless they do it for charity, you should be able to afford that to get the service in return. What will happen to the right of the poor to be healthy?
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

sssns wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 12:43 I think the book explores health insurance options that could guide clients or patients. Likewise, seeing the business side of the industry gives a different perspective. The information from these various angles is helpful in weighing the pros and cons of what they are offering.
I too think that the book gives a basic description about what to look at when choosing your health insurance plan and the importance of having a insurance plan over not having one. But I think this is only a guide and it is up to the reader to do his own research depending on what is mentioned in this book. Though the author has said that it is important to have a health insurance, it is the duty of the reader to consider it again, weigh the pros and cons and make the right choice.
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

Sushan wrote: 31 May 2021, 23:51
...my topic was the importance of having access to some form of health insurance – whether you’re in the United States or elsewhere. Part of this book delves into insurance, and I am experiencing firsthand the importance of having catastrophic health insurance. I’m also a huge proponent of Health Savings Account (HSA) plans.
(Location 145 in Kindle version of the book)

Do you feel the same as the author about health insurance? Have you had benefits because you had an insurance or had difficulties because you did not have an insurance? Has the author been honest or is she trying to market the insurance companies (she has dedicated three chapters of her book to talk about health insurance.)?
In my country, medical bills can be astronomically high. Our context is awash with stories of thousands of people who died because they couldn't raise the money for one surgery or treatment or the other. Most people have to rely on the good will of others or some kind of crowdfunding. I think having a good health insurance plan will mitigate this problem significantly. People need to be educated in this regard, even though insurance doesn't carry the same weight of benefits in all countries where it's available.
Sushan Ekanayake

El_limitless wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 12:46 Yeah, the author was honest about health insurance. I've personally benefited from health insurance. My medical bills were beyond my financial reach, and health insurance steeped in to offset the bills.
It is good to hear a first hand experience. You got lucky enough to have them settle your bills. But would have they agreed for an unlimited settlement of your bills? What might have happened if your bills exceeded the limit that they allow per person? Was tthere no possibility at all for your healthcare system to provide those services for free?
Sasha_100
Favorite Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Currently Reading: City of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-100.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
fav_author_id: 2502

Post by Sasha_100 »

The statement resonates a lot with me personally due particular circumstances.
Therefore I agree that having health insurance regardless of what the cost of healthcare is in other countries which don't have a social health care system is of particular importance.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

I completely agree with the author that health insurance is a must for everyone. Health issues don't inform before coming. I have myself gone through many medical procedures and it was the health insurance that saved us all the time. So, the author is absolutely right about taking health insurance.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by britcott30 »

I don't think the author is trying to market the insurance companies. Because I agree with her that health insurance is very important. I personally also have experienced treatments from the hospital(s) that are way beyond my financial capacity if I don't have the insurance.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”