First impression vs Final impression

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: First impression vs Final impression

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Jennifer Aldo wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 23:42 My first impression of the book was a self help book about making it through the system. But it turned out to be so much more. I learned a lot I didn't expect to, and I'm glad I read it.
Yes, you may get the feeling of a self-help book from the way that this book is presented. And at the beginning it takes the looks of a memoir with the details of the author's own life including her childhood memories as well. But deep down we see that this book is a lot more and a lot more useful than a mere memoir.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Hogwarts03 wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 02:55 Honestly, from the start I sort of knew this book would serve as a guide or instruction to provide insight and knowledge. This carried on throughout the book.
I don't think my fears were worsened by the end of the book, but I was made more aware of the complexities of the healthcare system, which happens to be quite jarring if anyone is considering a future in medicine.
I found the book very simple and straightforward while providing a truthful insight of the area, which is quite commendable for today.
You are correct. This book is not only for the consumers, the patients, but also for the service providers as well. It is a nice guide for those who are willing to start a career in the field of medicine to anticipate what to meet in the future. And to those who are already in the field, this can be used as a guide to further understand the needs of their consumers and provide a better service.
Kirsi Cultrera
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

When I first saw this book I thought it is written for people working in health care, maybe something that helps them to deal with the pressure and challenges they face in their daily jobs. Well, my first impression was clearly wrong. This book is for normal people, trying to help them to navigate through this complicated system and get the best out of it. I am glad the author wrote this book. There are clearly some issues in this field that need to be brought to daylight.
Kirsi
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

At first look it just seems like it will have tips on the do's and don't. Once you read it you can see it contains a lot more than what you think. I know the Healthcare once give out misleading information to my mother and I wish to have read this before it happened.
Sushan Ekanayake

Kirsi_78 wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 01:04 When I first saw this book I thought it is written for people working in health care, maybe something that helps them to deal with the pressure and challenges they face in their daily jobs. Well, my first impression was clearly wrong. This book is for normal people, trying to help them to navigate through this complicated system and get the best out of it. I am glad the author wrote this book. There are clearly some issues in this field that need to be brought to daylight.
There is a high chance to anyone to think about this book in the first impression as you thought, because exactly the healthcare providers also has to survive in this competitive field today. It is common to any field as the world is driven on competition and marketing. And I agree, some details of this book are highly useful and some have not been taken into light previously.
Sushan Ekanayake

Archaeoptery wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 17:35 At first look it just seems like it will have tips on the do's and don't. Once you read it you can see it contains a lot more than what you think. I know the Healthcare once give out misleading information to my mother and I wish to have read this before it happened.
There can be many more like your mother. Some healthcare workers intently do not give all the information, and in some occasions they do not have enough time to reveal everything. And if the patient is educated enough, at least he can question the healthcare personnel and get the necessary information. For such a thing knowing few medical jargon cam be useful.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

Since I live in a different country I cannot relate with the US healthcare system described. Either way, I find that the tips provided are giving an insight on what myths are there.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

At first glance, I thought it would be a emotional book about death and cancer, and upon finishing it I saw that it was an extremely helpful book showing the importance of being properly educated about one's health and and the medical processes you need to understand to live a healthy life.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Sushan Ekanayake

Dimi1 wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 14:49 Since I live in a different country I cannot relate with the US healthcare system described. Either way, I find that the tips provided are giving an insight on what myths are there.
Generally speaking, we can say that the basic idea of this book can be applied to any healthcare system in which there is a business aspect and money is involved. The author has developed the base and given the background knowledge to the reader about her experince and passion in this field. So the reader's mind gets ready to accept what she is offering. I think by the way that she has presented this book, she reached people out of US as well
Sushan Ekanayake

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 04:45 At first glance, I thought it would be a emotional book about death and cancer, and upon finishing it I saw that it was an extremely helpful book showing the importance of being properly educated about one's health and and the medical processes you need to understand to live a healthy life.
Good thought. If you carefully read the subtitle there you see that this book is related to a newly diagnosed cancer patient. And if you back-relate it to the main topic, inevitably you will feel like it is a sorrowful story of a cancer patient who was treated in an unfair manner because the healthcare is a business. But the book contains much more and cancer is one aspect that the book touches.
Esther11
Favorite Book: The Shining
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther11.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Esther11 »

The book revealed the hidden things about the healthcare system, and the knowledge kind of scared me but it was better to know than not.
Samavis89700
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samavis89700.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Samavis89700 »

My first impression of this book was that it would be a layperson's guide to the American healthcare system. After reading it, it turned out to be more than that. This book is a lot of things. It is part memoir, part self-help guide, and part commentary on the state of American healthcare today. This book did not change any of my opinions related to healthcare per se, but it did give me a lot of perspective on how much healthcare has changed in America over the past few decades. Without this book I wouldn't have known.
Sushan Ekanayake

Esther11 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 03:53 The book revealed the hidden things about the healthcare system, and the knowledge kind of scared me but it was better to know than not.
Yes, indeed. People sometimes act without fear merely because they have no knowledge about what they face. So it is good to be knowledgeable in any situation. In healthcare system consuming also it is a good thing to be knowledgeable, not to be afraid but to be cautious as well as to obtain a better service, as this author has described.
Anelka ky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anelka-ky.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Anelka ky »

A lot of us don't have enough knowledge about healthcare and health insurance yet we rely on them. The book brought up very many questions that prompted me to look more closely at the insurance I use. When I started reading I definitely did not expect the book to have a real-life impact.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

At first sight, I imagined that this book was strictly about healthcare and business and nothing more. Upon reading it, however, I realized that the book was personalized by the author's own life and experiences. And I prefer this latter impression to the former.
This book opened my eyes to the importance of health insurance (something that is taken very lightly in my part of the world).

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”