What do you think about the way the book is presented?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Chetna_Kharbanda
Currently Reading: Unsound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chetna-123.html
Latest Review: "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?" by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA

Re: What do you think about the way the book is presented?

Post by Chetna_Kharbanda »

This is an interesting read- a practitioner turned a patient herself. May lessons can be learned as a well-experienced person is sharing her both side perspectives.
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

I think the chapters together do make up an important collection that talks about her childhood, her illness, and the healthcare system. I think the way it is set up matters, because it shows both the big picture and the small day-to-day details of the author's life and what they went through.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

The pieces in this book were not dispersed, but rather interconnected. From the author's perspective as a practitioner in the medical field to her personal experience as a patient. It was extremely useful and insightful to me. One thing I took away from the book was the importance of valuing our health. We only have one life and one body. We must look after it in order for it to look after us.
Aliel Karen
Currently Reading: The Future of Capitalism
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliel-karen.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Aliel Karen »

Sushan wrote: 31 May 2021, 23:46 The author has talked about general practitioners, her childhood home, and her own illness while talking about health insurance plans, choosing a primary care provider, creating living wills, etc. (Chapter 1 - about her illness, chapter 2 - why she wrote this book, chapter 3 - her father's practice and her childhood)

Do you feel like this book is a collection of scattered pieces of information or do you see a logical connection in between these content? What might have been the author's intention in including all this lateral information when she wanted to talk about the 'business aspect' of healthcare system?
I loved how she presented information; particularly, her experience as a patient and a multi-generation health practitioner. It gives a new perspective on how medicine works and how it's changing throughout generations. To me, the logical connection between her personal life and the lessons on "The business of healthcare" is in the fact that, although medicine is a business, its ultimate purpose is to take care of people, so it should work differently than other businesses. That's my main takeaway from the book.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think this book is not just writing scattered pieces of information because there is also the author's experiences with her illness. I think the author wants to make this book to make the reader understand about the complexity of the health care business as well as talk about her experience in it.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

The book was presented in a commending manner. I didn't have any difficulty or problem with the way it was presented.
Prestige-best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prestige-best.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prestige-best »

The book presentation is fascinating. The author bringing her experiences and that of her patients is a good way to make the book sound very authentic and real.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

The book was well-plotted and information came in the order of importance. I enjoyed how the information was presented it was fascinating.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

I don't see the book as a collection of scattered information. Rather, I see that the author wants to give out health information but in a way that would sound original as coming out from the experience's mouth. That's she narrates her story and then goes into giving health information. This compilation of information is not just representing distinct information but they are functional to bring the health care information to the readers in an engaging and convincing manner
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

I don't see them as scattered information. But I would say they are more like chips to help readers better understand for the real life perspective
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

wow... I thought I was the only one that observed this. While reading I felt some of the stories were not connected and felt off. I really cant tell the intention of the author for writing this book. However the end of the story was quite okay.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

For me, I prefer books with personal stories as evidence or examples. So the way the book was presented was fine with me.
Agbata Precious 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious-1.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Agbata Precious 1 »

Well, I see this book as a true-life story. Although the had scattered information and was boring in some parts well she did well
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

For me, this book was presented in a very organized manner. All information came at the right time and right place.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 12:32 At first, I thought that the first chapters you talked about weren't related, but after reading the entire volume, I found out that it was very helpful for me to relate to her as a common person who also needs health insurance plans because it's very common to read books that the author distances herself or himself from events, but the author here talked about her story too, making it easier to understand her motivations and to relate to the book too.
Yes I agree with you, this book was so helpful to me.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”