Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Post by cd20 »

Kanchan Sharma wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 04:57 Healthcare is definitely not a choice in today's world and lifestyle. Nobody plans a disease or an accident. It comes without invitation. If we are insured medically at least we can take care of the expenses and only the emotional turmoil is to be managed. So, it's definitely a necessity.
I agree that it is a necessity, especially in today's world and lifestyle. We do need to be prepared for anything. However, there are some that simply cannot afford health insurance, so in order to have it, they have to decide what to sacrifice. Even with healthcare, the bills can be insurmountable, depending on what you have going on. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

aodonnell wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 10:41 Though people have the choice to seek medical care or not, I think that it truly is a necessity. I think most people who choose not to seek it often feel like they are not able-- high costs and lack of access can keep people living in pain or even dying prematurely. I don't think that calling that a choice is really fair.
I also don't believe the two are mutually exclusive. Having access is a necessity, but as has been stated, individuals have the choice to access it or not.
I agree people do have the choice to seek medical care or not. However, it is a necessary evil. I would agree that calling it a choice is not fair either, there is nothing fair about the fact that some people simply cannot afford it. And, some who can, simply will not. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

maggi3 wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 12:16 Healthcare is definitely a necessity, but not one everyone can afford. We can choose to go to the doctor or not when we have a medical issue, and we may choose not to because it’s too expensive etc. even though the medical problem will probably become worse without treatment. In that sense, it is both a necessity and a choice, though the alternative to the “choice” isn’t great.
I like the way you put this. It is both a necessity and a choice, and the alternative to choice is not good. Especially for those who cannot afford it, where is their choice? Those who can afford it can choose their level of coverage. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Kuchi Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuchi-mercy.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Kuchi Mercy »

Yes, I agree with the author. Healthcare is beyond a choice but a necessity for everyone. We do not control how or when our bodies breakdown, but they eventually will at one point or the other. With this being the case, it is necessary that standby healthcare be made available.
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

Jessica045 wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 01:33 Healthcare is never a choice. For a child to grow well, that child has to be taken care of right from birth, even right from conception. Healthcare is a must for everyone, what we now have a choice in is the type, style and level of the care. Therefore I agree with the author.
And I agree with you 100%. Nonetheless child, woman, old man everyone needs healthcare and proper treatment. We live a stressed-out life, where every single day is filled with work and worries, if it's not for you, it's for your family, if it's not for your family, it's for your friends. And on top of everything, we have healthcare put in the same position as wanting to have the newest phone. It's not a choice and it should never be.
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

I agree that Healthcare is more of a necessity than a choice. We are humans, prone to health issues at on point in life. No human is immune to body malfunctions so healthcare is a necessity not a choice.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I totally agree with the author as healthcare and insurance are everyone's necessity as we don't know when any serious health issue arises in our body and that time our health insurance helps us. As each one faces some kind of health issue in their life, I think healthcare is everyone's necessity.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Kuchi Mercy wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 15:13 Yes, I agree with the author. Healthcare is beyond a choice but a necessity for everyone. We do not control how or when our bodies breakdown, but they eventually will at one point or the other. With this being the case, it is necessary that standby healthcare be made available.
I agree that healthcare is a necessity for everyone, but sadly not everyone can afford it. Since it is a necessity it would be great if it could be more affordable for everyone. Even though it is a necessity there will still be people who do not choose to get it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Heidadela wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 02:42 I agree that Healthcare is more of a necessity than a choice. We are humans, prone to health issues at on point in life. No human is immune to body malfunctions so healthcare is a necessity not a choice.
I also agree that it is more a necessity than a choice, but not everyone can afford it, so in some ways, it is not a choice for them, even though it is a necessity. We are all prone to illnesses, but some will choose not to get healthcare because they do not want to. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 02:56 I totally agree with the author as healthcare and insurance are everyone's necessity as we don't know when any serious health issue arises in our body and that time our health insurance helps us. As each one faces some kind of health issue in their life, I think healthcare is everyone's necessity.
I would agree that it is a necessity. But, some choose not to get it and others simply cannot afford it. Most people think it is a necessity, but others think it is a choice. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I think healthcare is definitely a necessity, and not a choice. But I think health insurance is a choice. Unfortunately, with the high prices on a lot of health insurance, many people have to go without it and try to manage their health otherwise.
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

I do agree with the author on this. And that's because, in one way or the other, whether it's for a flu or a fever, or just routine check ups, we all would require healthcare services. So, indeed, healthcare is a necessity. The choice lies only in where and sometimes, when you decide to access the services.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Jasy95 wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 10:32 I think healthcare is definitely a necessity, and not a choice. But I think health insurance is a choice. Unfortunately, with the high prices on a lot of health insurance, many people have to go without it and try to manage their health otherwise.
I agree with you completely. Healthcare is a necessity and health insurance is a choice. However, I know a lot of people who think healthcare is a choice as well. They simply choose not to go to the doctor or take very good care of themselves. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Joy C wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 10:57 I do agree with the author on this. And that's because, in one way or the other, whether it's for a flu or a fever, or just routine check ups, we all would require healthcare services. So, indeed, healthcare is a necessity. The choice lies only in where and sometimes, when you decide to access the services.
I agree. We do need healthcare and it is a necessity, but there are some who also see it as a choice. The real choice is when you choose to access those services. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

Clearly, it is a necessity. Because in whatever way we want to shy away from the truth. At some point in our life, we must seek medical attention. Just like death, it is inevitable.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”