What do you think of the different prayers?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What do you think of the different prayers?

Post by cd20 »

Worm Reader wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 14:39 I didn't complain about the manner of prayer; sure, it's vital to "direct your heart and mind" to God since I believe it's a great time spent helping yourself improve and evolve as a better person with his heavenly guidance.
I agree it is vital to "direct your heart and mind" to God. But, I do not think we have to necessarily engage in all the different prayers that the author suggests. I think they are good for those who need ideas on how to pray or to further their prayer life, but I do not think we need to do them all. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Unique Ego wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 16:12
cd20 wrote: 15 May 2021, 09:04 Jeff Meyer says we should be very "intentional about including daily rhythms that help you redirect your heart and mind to the One who gave you all that you have." He discusses several different prayers, the listening prayer, the lectio divina (divine reading), 1 @1, memorizing scripture, prayer walking, read written prayers, and then stopping for the daily examen before you go to bed. What do you think of these prayers? Would you do them all, none, or which ones speak to you the most?
I think this depends on the person praying. Everyone's life schedule is different and this neccesitates a personalization of prayer patterns. But I think I get what the author is trying to say; he is trying to inspire people to get the utmost out of their prayer lives, but I don't believe we have to follow this list mechanically to attain that.
I would agree with you, all of our schedules are different, and so we should each set our own patterns of prayer. I also think the author is trying to get people to get the most out of their prayer lives, and I commend him for the variety of prayers that he offers. I agree that we do not have to have a list to follow in order to grow in our prayer lives. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

cd20 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 14:11
Sohana Hasan wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 09:06
cd20 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 13:46

I agree completely. If you tell me I have to do something, I am more likely not to. If I get to choose, I will choose the one that works best when I decide to pray. If you try to do them all, I think it will become a chore or be more ritualistic and then you lose the point of why you were praying in the first place. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Thanks for your reply! I naturally gravitate away from things that I "have" to do as opposed to things that I want to do, or enjoy doing. So, it would never work for me to have a set amount of prayers that I must always say.
I think we all naturally gravitate away from things that we "have" to do! I think it is part of human nature. I do not think it would work for most people to have a set amount of prayer that they have to say each day. I think that is the great thing about prayer, you can do it anytime, anywhere, in any way that you are comfortable.
Definitely! It does explain why prayers might be such a popular part of religion; they're easy and simple, but can still be sincere.
Maria_Kubicova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-kubicova.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Maria_Kubicova »

A prayer, in my opinion, is directing our attention to God in a certain way. It is a sort of communication that is done on a one-on-one basis. It seems absurd to me to have one set way of praying. We should be able to show our love for God in a variety of ways. I was pleased to see the author pay more attention to this subject, and I completely agree with him.
Laksha Maria Charbel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laksha-maria-charbel.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Reading Device: B08KKD61CM

Post by Laksha Maria Charbel »

It is my belief that repeated chanting of verses is of no benefit if we do not connect to God with our hearts. There are several verses in the bible that say that the Lord knows what we need and what's in our hearts before u ask it. Therefore, the important aspect of prayer is to seek God first. To remember him, thank him, to seek counsel in him, and involve him in all our daily life. This in itself is prayer.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Maria_Kubicova wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 12:28 A prayer, in my opinion, is directing our attention to God in a certain way. It is a sort of communication that is done on a one-on-one basis. It seems absurd to me to have one set way of praying. We should be able to show our love for God in a variety of ways. I was pleased to see the author pay more attention to this subject, and I completely agree with him.
Yes, I agree. Prayer is communicating with God and we can pray anytime, anywhere, or in any way that seems fitting at the moment. There is no one way to pray. I think it is great that the author gives a variety of ways to pray, especially for those who may feel they need the ideas. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I don't follow a routine for prayer. My life is extremely busy, and I would never get anything done if I tried to cram in the time to do set prayers at set times. I will often just take a moment to stop and say thank you for all the good things in my life, and then carry on with my day. For me, that is enough.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Black Jewel wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 07:58 I don't follow a routine for prayer. My life is extremely busy, and I would never get anything done if I tried to cram in the time to do set prayers at set times. I will often just take a moment to stop and say thank you for all the good things in my life, and then carry on with my day. For me, that is enough.
There are times that I guess I follow a routine (praying before meals), but other than that, I really don't either. I have tried to set routine times to pray, but when something else gets in the way, then I feel guilty, and that is not how it is meant to be either. I think the suggestions the author outlines are great for those who feel they need ideas on how to pray or want some ideas of how to incorporate routine. I do not think that they are all necessary. If you tried to pray all those prayers, it would end up feeling ritualistic instead of worshipful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Kebble
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebble.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Kebble »

I have respect for the idea brought forth. My perspective is that prayer is a tool and a personal communication with a higher being and i do personally believe that it should not have a laid out format or structure. I also am of the opinion that prayer is not something that should be taught. It is something that is deep seated into one's soul therefore a prayer should follow such. However, i do appreciate sharing this with everyone.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Kebble wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 06:52 I have respect for the idea brought forth. My perspective is that prayer is a tool and a personal communication with a higher being and i do personally believe that it should not have a laid out format or structure. I also am of the opinion that prayer is not something that should be taught. It is something that is deep seated into one's soul therefore a prayer should follow such. However, i do appreciate sharing this with everyone.
I also appreciate the author outlining certain ideas on prayer, especially for those who might want some guidance. I agree with you that prayer is personal communication and does not need a formal format or structure. I am a Christian and Jesus modeled prayer in the Bible, so I do believe that there needs to be some kind of "teaching" if you will. At least for those who are new in their faith or young in their faith and feel overwhelmed or do not think they know what to say. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and perspective.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

cd20 wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 11:33
Black Jewel wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 07:58 I don't follow a routine for prayer. My life is extremely busy, and I would never get anything done if I tried to cram in the time to do set prayers at set times. I will often just take a moment to stop and say thank you for all the good things in my life, and then carry on with my day. For me, that is enough.
There are times that I guess I follow a routine (praying before meals), but other than that, I really don't either. I have tried to set routine times to pray, but when something else gets in the way, then I feel guilty, and that is not how it is meant to be either. I think the suggestions the author outlines are great for those who feel they need ideas on how to pray or want some ideas of how to incorporate routine. I do not think that they are all necessary. If you tried to pray all those prayers, it would end up feeling ritualistic instead of worshipful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I'm definitely not one for ritual in any aspect of my life. I tend to just roll with the punches and adapt as the day hits me. :lol:
Kuchi Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuchi-mercy.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Kuchi Mercy »

I would say it depends on how one chooses to connect, and what method proves effective to the individual. However, memorizing scriptures and prayer walks would be a good choice for me.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Black Jewel wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 15:21
cd20 wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 11:33
I'm definitely not one for ritual in any aspect of my life. I tend to just roll with the punches and adapt as the day hits me. :lol:
I am one that likes routines and knowing what I am going to do in the day, but not routines for prayers. I don't follow a strict schedule but have loose guidelines I follow each day. Mostly because my children thrive in routines and I have to follow them for the dog too, LOL. Thanks for the discussion.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

I personally use one word/phrase and repeat it. It acts as meditation and helps my mind to calm down. The other forms of prayer I have not tried much, but this repeating of a word/phrase works for me the best.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Kiran Kanwar wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 02:34 I personally use one word/phrase and repeat it. It acts as meditation and helps my mind to calm down. The other forms of prayer I have not tried much, but this repeating of a word/phrase works for me the best.
I think it is great that the author included this section for those who feel that they need it. But, ultimately, I think we all have to do what is best for us. It sounds like you have found the thing that words best for you, and there is no point in changing it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”