The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Post by cd20 »

KarFulMar wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 23:42 I think we do all go through stages in our development where we are unsure who we are, or will become (such as during childhood and adolescence), so that we are likely to imitate someone who we admire or look up to. Most grow out of that stage to become unique individuals, but same people may be hindered in that development and never process past that stage.
That’s not to say that we can’t imitate some characteristics of someone we admire, but it is more psychological healthy to incorporate characteristics of other those other people and blend them into our own personalities to yield a totally unique person not quite like anybody else.
I agree with you. We certainly do go through stages in our development, not knowing who we are or who we want to be. I do believe that we do grow out of that and become unique individuals. Although, I do think we still tend to look to others for inspiration. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Mimi Kenneth wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 02:45 I think her statement applies to some people. There are some who don't care about what others do and follow their own path and there are some who behave exactly as she says.
I think when we are little we are trained to be copycats. But, as we get older, I believe that her comment applies to some people like you said. Some people tend to look to others for inspiration but will tweak what they learn and add their own unique personalities and gifts to it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

As small children we learned things by watching others. As we get older, our competitive nature kicks in and the desire to copy others and be even better takes control. But initially, yes, everyone begins life as a copy cat and it just grows with age and time. People learn and then use what they’ve seen to evolve.
Saloni Amin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Saloni Amin »

I partly agree on the fact that we are copycats because when we see a person doing well in what they do and earn well, people tend to do the exact same thing. They might succeed or fail in that process but they would definitely try copying the other people.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Liveforchrist51 wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 20:56 As small children we learned things by watching others. As we get older, our competitive nature kicks in and the desire to copy others and be even better takes control. But initially, yes, everyone begins life as a copy cat and it just grows with age and time. People learn and then use what they’ve seen to evolve.
I agree with that. Children are taught to copy and mimic, then as they get older they are told to be themselves. It can be confusing to figure out who they are. I do not like to think of myself as a copycat, but I do look to others for inspiration in some parts of my life, in others, I have no desire to copy others. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Saloni Amin wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 06:03 I partly agree on the fact that we are copycats because when we see a person doing well in what they do and earn well, people tend to do the exact same thing. They might succeed or fail in that process but they would definitely try copying the other people.
I agree. Some people will try to do exactly what others do so they get acquire the success that a particular person has. However, others will tweak it to fit their circumstances, bringing their own unique personalities to a situation. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I think we are naturally drawn to success. It feels good and it looks good. Different personality types may have a different response to this. As an enneagram 3, I am highly driven to be successful. So, I do agree. I can lose my own focus when I see others being successful because I want the same thing. It is challenging for me to find my own version of success.
Jordan Cane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-cane.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Jordan Cane »

I think the issue lies within the connotation associated with being a "copycat". To be a "copycat"/use this phrasing, is considered a negative quality and therefore not something to strive to be. However, copying others, observing and gaining knowledge from their actions and experiences, is not a negative quality. To phrase the action in this way then spins the connotation to a positive one or what we would call a "smart" choice. To watch someone achieve success and repeat their actions in order to achieve the same success should not be looked at negatively. Recognizing what works and what does not is not being a "copycat", it is a sign of knowledge and growth!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I think it's in human nature, and that what makes us human; at one point in our lives, if not all, we have once been a copycat. Even everything in this world is built upon copycat. The mobile phone we use was based on the landline we once heard. It's a chain; you see people succeed in their endeavor and want to know the strategy behind their success and apply it. What is really the difference between iPhone, Samsung mobile phones, and many others? Is it not copycat at a more qualified level.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Ldpuff wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 11:31 I think we are naturally drawn to success. It feels good and it looks good. Different personality types may have a different response to this. As an enneagram 3, I am highly driven to be successful. So, I do agree. I can lose my own focus when I see others being successful because I want the same thing. It is challenging for me to find my own version of success.
My first inclination is to disagree that we are all drawn to success, but I think it's true. Not all of us have a desire to be successful in a public image way but in our own areas of interest. I do not think I so much as copy people, as look to them for inspiration, but then add my own ideas to the process. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Jordan Cane wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 17:51 I think the issue lies within the connotation associated with being a "copycat". To be a "copycat"/use this phrasing, is considered a negative quality and therefore not something to strive to be. However, copying others, observing and gaining knowledge from their actions and experiences, is not a negative quality. To phrase the action in this way then spins the connotation to a positive one or what we would call a "smart" choice. To watch someone achieve success and repeat their actions in order to achieve the same success should not be looked at negatively. Recognizing what works and what does not is not being a "copycat", it is a sign of knowledge and growth!
I agree that the connotation of being a copycat is negative. But that is what children are taught from a young age, to copy and mimic others. I do agree that gaining experience from others and recognizing what works is not necessarily being a copycat. Especially if you are putting your own original ideas into it as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Anthony__ wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 06:17 I think it's in human nature, and that what makes us human; at one point in our lives, if not all, we have once been a copycat. Even everything in this world is built upon copycat. The mobile phone we use was based on the landline we once heard. It's a chain; you see people succeed in their endeavor and want to know the strategy behind their success and apply it. What is really the difference between iPhone, Samsung mobile phones, and many others? Is it not copycat at a more qualified level.
I agree it is part of human nature. Especially when we are little and we are taught to copy and mimic others, that is how we learn. I agree that we are constantly building on what was created, bring it to a higher level. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I don't entirely agree with his sentiment. I think it's true that we often try to follow or imitate what successful people do. But I don't think people shift focus from their lives to obsess over "successful" people's lives.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

I agree that by nature we are copycats, in the end this is how childern learn how to talk. But once they have the building blocks, I believe (maybe naively) that the human brain is capable of orginality. Here we can discuss the difference between invention and innovation. I assume that a building block can be anything, not just words or letters or phonemes, for e.g. a technology, a product, a method, a skill, a strategy. Innovation is the combination of existing blocks to produce something original, and invention is a completely new building block. I would bet that most of our lives, maybe 99%, we spend copying other people, but there is still that magical 1% that drives the change in our world, that consists of innovation, and ultimately invention. This is just my simplistic way of looking at things to make a point, it would be interesting to hear other thoughts..
AngieOdeh
Favorite Book: Whale of Wonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieodeh.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by AngieOdeh »

I wouldn't dare to say it in that way. We are not copycats; but, it is human nature to imitate others. Then again, there is the sense of judgment of each person to evaluate whether or not something is worth copying. Each one of us is unique, but we are strongly influenced by the people and circumstances surrounding us. It takes a strong character to chose your likes instead of copying others.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”