What do you think about the conversational writing style and the way that the book is presented?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Re: What do you think about the conversational writing style and the way that the book is presented?

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I really appreciated this method is great because many times when one is reading self help books we'll be forced to go through endless paragraphs of useless information that we already possess before we get to the section that contains the details that we can really benefit from. So, this method allows the reader to focus on what relates to him or her and gives it an air of personal and targeted advice.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I believe that the conversational style is proper as it makes for an insightful and engaging read. The readers won't only read it through like any other book, but the exercise will really leave author refreshed and fulfiled. This will go a long way of creating a long lasting impression on the readers' life.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 29 May 2021, 18:06 I believe that the conversational style is proper as it makes for an insightful and engaging read. The readers won't only read it through like any other book, but the exercise will really leave author refreshed and fulfiled. This will go a long way of creating a long lasting impression on the readers' life.
I agree. Just reading a book can do some impact, but the time duration that it last may not be very long. A reader tends to forget what he read if the experience was so passive. But this author has taken an additional step to make this reading experience more active one, and that definitely leaves a long lasting impact in the reader towards good.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I think the conversational presentation way the book is written added a more personal touch to the book and made it more applicable. It's made the book stand out as a self help book and increased it's value.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

AtienoMagero wrote: 31 May 2021, 11:35 I think the conversational presentation way the book is written added a more personal touch to the book and made it more applicable. It's made the book stand out as a self help book and increased it's value.
I agree. It definitely makes the book unique and gives a reach of a wide audience. The author has been able to talk each reader personally, which is quite an impossible task to be done through a book. The modifications that a reader can apply when he is reading to the order that he reads is a wonderful approach to a self-help book.
Worm Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-worm-reader.html
Latest Review: Jane Grace: Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner

Post by Worm Reader »

To be honest, I enjoy books with a provocative tone, especially when they focus on development and self-care. The idea of demonstrating why you should embrace your aspirations was more than fulfilling to me.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

I must say that I loved the conversational writing style of the book as it made it more engaging and easy to flow with. With this writing style, the reader is unconsciously transported to wherever the author is in his state of mind and if feels as though they are there together and conversing with each other. This is how I felt as I read through the pages of this book.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

The way this book is organized is fantastic! It's better than a book that just lists things that someone has to do. This conversational method made it much more interactive and interesting, so it's one that's enjoyable.
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Ondijo Junior »

This writing g style was great as it made the reader to blend into the book, i felt part and parcel of the characters, indeed it also breaks the monotony when reading. it was great.
Absenc Of Evidence, is Never an Evidence Of Absence
Tomes 2 Read
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomes-2-read.html
Latest Review: Rough Way to the High Way by Kelly Mack McCoy

Post by Tomes 2 Read »

I like Jeff Meyer's conversational approach. I think it helps to differentiate his book for a topic that has been visited and revisited by so many authors. As a reader, I felt that realizing my dreams was attainable and I had the bite-sized steps to do it. I marked several passages with personal notes and look forward to performing the exercises. I think it is a victory when a self-help/inspirational author can encourage a reader to follow through on its topic to improve some aspect of their life.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Everyone appreciates a conversational tone while reading. Personally, it makes me more interested in the story being shared. When you're trying to teach a lesson, conversational writing styles are more likely to gain you more engaged audience.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

I have read quite a few personal development books and found that most of those authors adopting a similar approach to this method. The conversation style writing will encourage the reader to engage with the book while going through the chapters. In the case of this book, the author gives many tips and action points at the end of each chapter. So, I would agree with the author's conversation style writing of the book.
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

Of course, in self-help books, a conversational tone is the best way to engage the readers. It might feel more personal like having a one on one conversation, addressing more specific needs rather than just putting the facts out there.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

I believe that a conversational writing style is the best method for writing a self-help book. It's an effective way of keeping readers interested in the subject matter of the book. It also reflects quality and definitely increases the values and applicability of the book.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I actually thought that this separation into parts was helpful. The author was kind of following up on what he had discussed before in the try this section. It also helped make the writing less bulky and easy to refer to.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”