What do you think of the religious aspect of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Re: What do you think of the religious aspect of the book?

Post by Yvonne Monique »

That is exactly the reason why I normally do not read religious books. I am a Christian, but I feel that messages come across better without focusing too heavily on the religious part. Of course, faith can help us in most aspects of our life, including pursuing our dreams, but one needs to be able to achieve the same goal without relying entirely and exclusively on God.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

I think the author was only trying to balance selfhelp and religion in one piece. But he isn't quite successful at that. I think it is more of a religious book than selfhelp.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

Before I started reading, I did not know what extent of religious writing to expect. I found some of the religious content to be interesting to read actually. But I agree with a few of the fellow reviewers above that maybe this book is more suitable for Christian audiences.
Abisolalawal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abisolalawal.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Abisolalawal »

I think there is nothing wrong with using religion considering that it is a huge part of the author's life. Although the book suits the Christians more, it still has useful aspects that non-Christians can learn from. I may find it difficult to recommend to non-Christians but I think it is best to approach the book with an open mind.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I liked the idea of “dreaming big” and I think the information is great. Unfortunately it became too “preachy” to me. Someone who has more religious beliefs than myself would be happy reading through this. It was a a bit too much for me because of the religious aspect of it
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

At first glance, I thought the book was for general readers (not a specific religion). I was hoping for that since it seemed like it contained good advice. I also found that it was geared towards religious leadership. Nonetheless, I took some things for myself.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

I loved the book with its religious aspects. It helps and guides Christians to discover their God-given visions. There are some tips and helpful aspects that non-Christians can benefit from them.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I totally agree with you. When approaching the book, I too was looking for some sort of inspiration, something that would inspire me and push me to pursue my dreams. But I never did the "Try this" section exercises, because I am not interested in the Bible and in reading its passages or connecting with Jesus. But indeed, this was clearly a religious book, so religious people will find it more apt than non-religious ones.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

smolbird wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:01 As an unambitious person, I was looking forward to reading this book to see what could lead me to "spark my dream." However, I was a little disappointed to find that the religious aspect of the book seems to overpower its self-help aspect. A lot of times, it felt like the book was more focused on Christian living rather than inspiring readers to dream. Additionally, I thought that it would have been better if the "Try This" sections were designed so that both religious and non-religious readers could do them. Do you have a different opinion?
I definitely agree with this as the ideas of dream sparking and working towards goals and ambitions really caught my eye but the fact that it's mainly aimed towards Christians was a little disappointing as it meant that I couldn't interact a lot with the text as much as others would.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

The religious aspect of this book makes it all the more appealing to me. I managed to benefit on two aspects of my life. The self help part of the book was as good to me as the Christian teachings offered. I got the best of both worlds from this book.
PreciousExo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousexo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by PreciousExo »

I feel like the Author is a believer hence the heavy focus on the Christian aspects of the book. I also think the author was trying to share what worked or works for him in the "try this" section. I personally don't have a problem with any aspect of this book, there are so many other self help books out there tailored to everyone.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

No. I also find it too much in Christians based. I am no where a non-christians person but this book is just too much.
Bridget Ball 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridget-ball-1.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by Bridget Ball 1 »

I agree. The book is a lot more religious than I had initially bargained for, but I do think that people could still benefit from it even if they are of other faiths.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

As a Christian, I found some of the comments biased. The author seemed to think that there is only one interpretation. Many religious people will probably disagree.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I think a lot of people from many different faiths can benefit from the teachings of Christ. As long as they are not being forced to accept them. I've never agreed with the whole "believe in Jesus or you are going to Hell" rhetoric. Yes I believe it, but telling someone who isn't already a Christ follower just seems like a scare tactic to get them saved.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”