"You have to pursue your own dreams, but you are given your dreams by the God". Has the author contradicted himself?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: "You have to pursue your own dreams, but you are given your dreams by the God". Has the author contradicted himself?

Post by Archaeoptery »

I would lean to yes he did contradicted himself. The way I see it either the dreams are ours only or not.

I would like to point this out in regards to following parents or friends dreams, it is flat no to leading to failure. I will go to facebook when I need something to pass the time, one thing that I found was a post. The post was about someone going to somewhere (I can not remember where) because their parent dreamed to go there but instead they passed away. So the person in question goes there in memory of said parent. This can be the same with friends. If one is honoring someone or wishes to remember someone by making their dreams there own I have no problems with that.
Bridget Ball 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridget-ball-1.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by Bridget Ball 1 »

What I got from this was that God gave the ability to for us to dream. We must use the talents that God gave us because they are tools given to us on our pathway to achievement.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:04 "God has created you to dream. He urges you to crave your own BIG dream. You were not created to merely carry out someone else’s. You were created to live a life of service, yes, but service can be weighty if we don’t unearth our own, unique, God-given vision." (Foreword)

The author wants his readers to break free from others' dreams and pursue their own dreams. And that have been the main purpose of writing this book, and as per the author that is the intent of God as well.

“The place where God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger coincide.”

But on the other hand, as per the author, our dreams are not our own dreams but which are given to us by God.

Has the author contradicted his own concept?

At the same time, can't we make our parents' or our closest ones dreams as ours and pursue them? Will it lead us to failure always?
No. I don't think he is contradicting himself. If God has given me a dream, it becomes my own. Don't we say, " this is my life. I'll live it as I please?" Yet life is God's. Whether we pursue those God-given dreams is up to us, hence they are our dreams.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

According to me, the author is trying to say that God has made us capable to follow our dreams. Some people have innate talents that come naturally and some has to acquire them. But with practice and time we come to know what we want to be and follow our dreams; God leads us on the ultimate path.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I think the author's religious perspective is that God allows humans to dream their wants, desires, and purpose. So, the author encourages his readers to take hold of those dreams and fulfill them.

Coming to the last question, I believe I have to say that pursuing your loved one's dreams does not always lead to failure. In fact, sometimes it can be satisfying as their dream can become yours and you can share the goal of that dream and fulfill it together.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

The statement is contradictory, but I think I understand what the author was trying to say. I think it would have been better put, like saying that God gives everyone his/her own dreams, but we should work towards achieving it.
Scarbaby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarbaby.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Scarbaby »

I think the author is aware that we as humans interpret dreams, life purpose, and daily inspiration very differently. I don’t think the author contradicted himself as I interpret what is being said as God instills certain skills, traits, and dimensions within us but it is ultimately our responsibility to pursue our passions and create the life we want for ourselves.
Nithilah Ayyappan
Currently Reading: We Hunt the Flame
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nithilah-ayyappan.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B07KR2N2GF

Post by Nithilah Ayyappan »

I believe the author has contradicted himself by saying to live your own dreams, but you are given your dreams by god. If god gives you your dreams, how do they become your own dreams? Even if you own the dreams now, you cannot count them as your own because they are given to you by a higher being. Therefore this quote is definitely a contradiction.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 02:24
Saint Bruno wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:55 I don't think that the author has contradicted himself. To every one that God created is a special purpose. So the dreams you pursue is in line with your purpose. That's what I think the author means. Just as we are different, so are our dreams. Chasing our dreams is thus, fulfilling our purpose given by God, the giver of dreams.
If I get it correct, you too have said it. God is the giver of our dreams. If so, how can we pursue our own dreams? It will always be someone else's dream, atleast of God's. If this is true, what has happened to the free will that He gave us? If all of us are given a purpose by the God, there will be nothing called free will. Correct me if I am wrong
The free will comes in when we decide whether or not we want to follow God or conform to this world. God is never going to force anything on anyone. Jesus freely laid down His life for mankind. Mankind was given the option (free will) to accept Him or not. When someone decides to accept Christ as their Savior and decides to live for HIm, He guides their path in the RIGHT way, not the way of this world. When our eyes are on God, our dreams are different than when our eyes are on this chaotic world. I don't think that the author has contradicted himself.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

I don't think the author contradicts himself because the moment you align your self to God then his dreams become your dreams and they become one so there is no difference between your dreams and his dreams.
Qer
Currently Reading: Immigrant Hustle
Bookshelf Size: 87

Post by Qer »

I don't think the author has contradicted himself. Rather, what he's trying to put across is that if your dreams are God given then they become your dreams since it's God gives the inspiration but it's your part to execute and live the dream.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html

Post by Miraphery »

I don't think there's any contradiction here. God inspires dreams in us, we make them ours. The point is God does not force you to pursue the dreams, it is left for you to decide what to do with them.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 02:24
Saint Bruno wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:55 I don't think that the author has contradicted himself. To every one that God created is a special purpose. So the dreams you pursue is in line with your purpose. That's what I think the author means. Just as we are different, so are our dreams. Chasing our dreams is thus, fulfilling our purpose given by God, the giver of dreams.
If I get it correct, you too have said it. God is the giver of our dreams. If so, how can we pursue our own dreams? It will always be someone else's dream, atleast of God's. If this is true, what has happened to the free will that He gave us? If all of us are given a purpose by the God, there will be nothing called free will. Correct me if I am wrong
We all have a choice to follow our dreams, God's purpose, or not. That is free will. If we follow our dreams as given by God, then I don't think the author contradicted himself.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Mohamadu Abdulai
Currently Reading: Next Stage
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Mohamadu Abdulai »

The author wants his readers to break free from others' dreams and pursue their own dreams. And that have been the main purpose of writing this book, and as per the author that is the intent of God as well.
Karissa Schilling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karissa-schilling.html
Latest Review: Lessons For Kids to Learn by D.L.Kelly

Post by Karissa Schilling »

I think the author is saying God gave us the ability to dream which means that our dreams are in line with who God made us to be. I feel that this issue also stems into freewill and wether or not we truly have it. If God gives us dreams and created us with a specific purpose, are our dreams of our own freewill?

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”