Meaning of life

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Meaning of life

Post by cd20 »

Kennedy NC wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 01:53 Indeed, the meaning of life is to create, for we are all blessed with highly creative and imaginative minds that seek to bring something out of nothing. However, I do not think that life is limited merely to creation. We are also tasked with the burden of maintaining, of protecting, of regulating all things that have been created so they do not become a danger to us.
I agree. We are constantly creating, but I do not believe that we are limited to just creating. I do believe we are also to take care of what has already been created. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Ghuddie eso wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 06:24 I agree with the author here. The meaning of life is to create, in the sense that all we do on earth is seek to create a good life for ourselves and for the next generation.
I believe that we are always creating, life, posts, books, etc., but I do not think it is our only purpose. I think we are also to take care of what has already been created, and then work within our given talents and purpose for being here. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

As a writer, I've found that I'm most satisfied with creating - be it fictional stories, essays, reviews, or letters to friends and loved ones. However, I also know close friends who find deep satisfaction not in creating, but in appreciating - be it an appreciation for a well-developed game, or a book, or a film/TV show. At the end of the day, finding meaning in life depends largely on the individual, and meaning can be found in a multitude of spaces. That's what makes life so meaningful - that meaning can be found anywhere and everywhere.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Natalia Nazeem wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 15:55 As a writer, I've found that I'm most satisfied with creating - be it fictional stories, essays, reviews, or letters to friends and loved ones. However, I also know close friends who find deep satisfaction not in creating, but in appreciating - be it an appreciation for a well-developed game, or a book, or a film/TV show. At the end of the day, finding meaning in life depends largely on the individual, and meaning can be found in a multitude of spaces. That's what makes life so meaningful - that meaning can be found anywhere and everywhere.
I agree that at the end of the day, finding meaning in life does depend on the individual. However, whether your friends find satisfaction in creating or not, they are always creating. They are creating posts, texts, memories, etc., so their creating might not be tangible, like your writing, but everyone creates. I do believe that creating is part of the meaning of life, just not the full meaning. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

The author's Ideology is not far from reality. The intent of life is to be fruitful and multiply one's self. God expressed this in the account of creation when He said to be fruitful and multiply. That is: create! If anyone is not fulfilling this mandate, I feel he's not meeting the purpose of life!
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

The billions of people that the earth carries, each individual has a purpose to fulfill. We must work consciously towards fulfilling it and leave that print of existence. Which can be called our creation. What we do with ourselves while living, what we make out of our lives. If you just let life happen to you, you become a victim of other people's creation. I agree that to live is to create.
mansi_160
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by mansi_160 »

I believe that the meaning of life is not only to create but to enjoy every step of life. Some people get so busy in creating a good life for themselves that they eventually forget how to enjoy the little things in life.
There is much more in life than just creating.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Piece Nkem wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 13:56 The author's Ideology is not far from reality. The intent of life is to be fruitful and multiply one's self. God expressed this in the account of creation when He said to be fruitful and multiply. That is: create! If anyone is not fulfilling this mandate, I feel he's not meeting the purpose of life!
I believe that part of the meaning of life is to create, yes procreate, but we are also creating in a lot of different ways. I believe we are to also take care of the creation that God has created, and we are all given our own individual purposes as well. We were not all designed to do the same things or there would not be such a variety to life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

tafta wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 23:56 The billions of people that the earth carries, each individual has a purpose to fulfill. We must work consciously towards fulfilling it and leave that print of existence. Which can be called our creation. What we do with ourselves while living, what we make out of our lives. If you just let life happen to you, you become a victim of other people's creation. I agree that to live is to create.
I believe that part of our purpose is to create. We are always creating, rather procreating, or just creating memories, posts, books, or whatever else. I also believe we are to take care of creation. But, I also believe we are all designed for individual purposes as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

mansi_160 wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 06:56 I believe that the meaning of life is not only to create but to enjoy every step of life. Some people get so busy in creating a good life for themselves that they eventually forget how to enjoy the little things in life.
There is much more in life than just creating.
I would agree with that. We should enjoy what we are creating. I think you are right that people strive and create and forget to take time to enjoy it. My husband is currently in that mode and I have to remind him to slow down and relax and rest for a while. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

My opinion of this would be based on how we define "life." Does this merely mean the years we spend alive or does it also include the years that we are remembered, or kept alive through memories? Creating something tangible may be the only way you can ever be truly remembered.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Sohana Hasan wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 12:27 My opinion of this would be based on how we define "life." Does this merely mean the years we spend alive or does it also include the years that we are remembered, or kept alive through memories? Creating something tangible may be the only way you can ever be truly remembered.
Wow, thank you for bringing such a deep and different perspective to this discussion. I obviously have no answer for that :lol2: but it is very thought-provoking! I do believe that part of our meaning of life is to create, in part of creating memories, that will help to keep us alive, right?! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Vampire_demon
Currently Reading: At the Feet of Serenity
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vampire-demon.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by Vampire_demon »

I agree with the author. Life is not about living itself but life is combination creating our own world and own imagination and dreams , passion and more. Though I'm happy that someone asked this "What is life?
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

cd20 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 13:54
Sohana Hasan wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 12:27 My opinion of this would be based on how we define "life." Does this merely mean the years we spend alive or does it also include the years that we are remembered, or kept alive through memories? Creating something tangible may be the only way you can ever be truly remembered.
Wow, thank you for bringing such a deep and different perspective to this discussion. I obviously have no answer for that :lol2: but it is very thought-provoking! I do believe that part of our meaning of life is to create, in part of creating memories, that will help to keep us alive, right?! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I love that! Our lives are often defined by the stories we have and the memories we've made. I would just like to add that this probably includes negatives, as well as positives. Bad memories are just as important as good ones. And people who've done terrible things are still notorious and immortalized in history.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Sohana Hasan wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 08:53
cd20 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 13:54
I love that! Our lives are often defined by the stories we have and the memories we've made. I would just like to add that this probably includes negatives, as well as positives. Bad memories are just as important as good ones. And people who've done terrible things are still notorious and immortalized in history.
I completely agree! We learn not to do certain things by all the people in history who have done terrible things! I think in our creating, we need to be our "best" selves, and I think it is important to reflect on what we want to be remembered for. Thanks again for the great discussion.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”