Life Like an LA or Boston Marathon

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Life Like an LA or Boston Marathon

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 04:07 I really like the author's comparison of life with a marathon. I never thought about life that way, but I can see many similarities. Unfortunately, for some people, life is indeed a continuous struggle, just like a marathon. However, we should learn to run life's marathon at our own pace (like the LA one) and take a break if we need to.
Life will be a struggle, if you see it like that. There are people who actually struggle to keep alive, yet they never think of life as that. On the same time there are people who have everything, yet they struggle to live because they don't see what they have already achieved.

So, yes, life is a marathon. It is more like a LA marathon where you can have a break when you need. But what you should keep in mind is that there are occasions in which this LA marathon becomes a Boston marathon, where you can't take breaks as you wish. You should keep that in mind if you do not want to fall out from the run
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

jaym_tan wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 08:34 I think she definitely had a point when she compared life to that of a marathon. Although it seems like many people's lives can be compared to a Boston Marathon since there are always difficulties and struggle. However, it doesn't always have to be like a Boston marathon that's continuous, we should also go for the LA marathon which means we don't have to be in too much rush. In other words, we need to take things easy if you are struggling too much.
I can't totally agree with you. Any marathon is a struggle, not only the Boston one. The difference between the two marathons of interest is that we do not have to win in the LA marathon, but can be satisfied with our own goals. But in the Boston marathon, there is a fixed goal, and you should pursue that. Otherwise you will be considered a looser. However, each and every marathon is a struggle and it is a test to see our endurance.
Sushan Ekanayake

Mtibza eM wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 09:03 Life it is similar to marathon. One had to know their pace, keep it throughout and know when to sprint, and not look at other people's. But as of comparing this two marathons events, I don't quiet get it.
That is how you should exactly run the marathon of your life. You should have your own pace and own goals. If you try to imitate others and pursue others goals, you will get tired and you will have to stop. So it is of utmost importance to understand the way to face the life-marathon, though your preference is LA type or Boston type, keep in mind that a marathon is always a marathon!
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I agree more with life being like the LA marathon because you meet with all kinds of people with different perspectives and opinions, which is a clear indication that life accepts of kinds of people. That's what the LA marathon does too—everyone is welcome.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I focused more on her experiences during the marathon. How they have to help each other when the going got tough. So, yes, life is like the LA marathon in a number of ways.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

I wish life was more like an LA marathon. Unfortunately, there are systems in place meant to keep people down as a direct result of an individual's gender identity, race, religion, physical abilities, and class. The Boston Marathon represents the dynamics that prevent people from even getting a chance to participate.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

Life would be better if it was more like the LA Marathon, with no limitations, free and do it how you like, but sometimes life can feel like the Boston marathon. I think this is a good analogy and we should all strive to live life like we are in the LA marathon, where freedom and uniqueness is totally accepted.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

A good friend of mine always says: "life is a marathon, not a race". I do not remember who he was quoting, but the message still stands out to me. Just like the "rat race", there is no point in rushing to a destination. A race is quick and competitive.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

A marathon is an analogy that can apply to many things. Life is a referenced as a marathon in many different forms of literature (books, movies, TV shows). We’d like to think that it’s more like an LA marathon, but sometimes it is more like a Boston Marathon. People constantly have to face rejection and being turned away because of who they are.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I think the two differ in how people will answer this question, based on how they are wired. The LA marathon is freer and more accepting of everyone, so I would like to run in that race because you get to experience the whole melting pot of life. The Boston marathon excludes and restricts people, which can stand for those who like to be in a controlled environment where they know their surroundings.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

The LA marathon resonates more with me because I love it when everyone has equal chance to be original. The nature of the LA marathon allowed for runners to stop and help each other. Life without competition would be far better.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

I think that our lives resemble the LA Marathon more than the Boston Marathon. Most people choose to do various things for the sake of experience and fun. I think it gives more people more options to do stuff which they would otherwise not do out of fear and embarrassment. For example, we wouldn't have learnt to read and write if we were asked to follow fixed rules and laws of grammar and stop when we made even a minor mistake. Instead, we all just started reading and writing, made mistakes and eventually became good readers and writers. Now, some of us have become writers and some have chosen such jobs that have nothing to do with professional writing. So, yes. Life's indeed similar to the LA Marathon.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Danelle Cale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danelle-cale.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danelle Cale »

I think that the comparisons she made between the marathon and life were pretty accurate. Just like the miles of the marathon, life is ever changing. And like the LA marathon with a wide variety of personalities participating, every person in life is different and unique in one way or another. Though we each have our own life to live year after year (or mile after mile of a marathon), we have many different experiences from people, places, emotion, hardship, accomplishment, etc. And like the LA marathon you're free to be yourself and express that self however you wish.
KapuKapu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kapukapu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by KapuKapu »

In my opinion life should be like the L.A marathon, all inclusive and less discrimination. This notion might help end some of the more severe problems like racial violence.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Life at times is much like the Boston Marathon depending on where you are in your journey. Some may feel a sense of duty to do or be a certain way to achieve the best for themselves others maybe at there best when they just let life unfold and ride the waves. Either way we all have choices in life and that is the beauty of life. Freedom to choose and the ability to dream.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”