What do you think about the writing style?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Re: What do you think about the writing style?

Post by Jessica045 »

I loved her writing style. It made the book sound informal and less boring. It was like simple storytelling.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I didn’t mind the way author jumps from one scenario to another. I think the charm of this book lies on how the author chose to present or write her ideas. I like that the writing is simple and funny while conveying some meaningful lessons.
aodonnell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aodonnell.html
Latest Review: Cristos Rising by B.T. Findley

Post by aodonnell »

I think the style could have worked if she focused the chapters on the lessons more and had longer stories instead a whole bunch of little one or two sentence stories. I'm having a really hard time powering through this book because it just feels all over the place and I don't quite see where she's going until the end of each chapter. Even titling the chapters to reflect the lessons would be a tremendous help.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

The book's order of events confused me at first, but the sprinkled life lessons retained my interest. The writing style works well to marry the genres of self-help and autobiography, but the jump-cuts will throw off readers who prefer chronological storylines.
dragontale7
Currently Reading: Furyborn
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragontale7.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by dragontale7 »

I really enjoyed the writing style of the book! Trish Ostroski teaches you to look for life lessons of your own through the examples she shares in the book, and I considered it very thought-provoking. Many of the books in this field are dry and boring to read but this was hilarious and educational. Overall, a great read.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I did not like the author's writing style. It seemed to be disjointed and all over the place. Some of her stories were completely random. I think relaying her experiences from her time in the Peace Corps all and once, and then doing the same for her time in Hollywood would have improved the story.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I love the author's style of writing. In fact, she writes very much how I think - somewhat jumping around in thought, finding humor in everyday things, turning daily happenings into life lessons, and looking for joy in the random events of life. Her style is what attracted me to the book. It's not a neat little cookie-cutter book in perfectly organized chapters. It's messy - like life is. I like it!
Ojil Elton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ojil Elton »

I did not like the jumpy style because it made me lose track of the story. Sometimes i got confused but the authors humor, creativity and inspiration kept me going. Lovely book but it would be better if the autobiography was organized.
simo12
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by simo12 »

This book was entertaining, fun, and motivating and you will learn something en route. She recounts accounts of her life to show the exercise learned, in actuality. Her humor adds to the lucidness so that it's not simply one more self improvement guide. I simply need words to depict it
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

I think the author won the readers mind by the intriguing writing style.Eventhough the story is about selfhelp through her autobiography, it has alot of funny and thrilling monents.
Rachel Byrd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rachel Byrd »

I loved the writing style. I felt it keeps readers attention. A little more structure was needed, but overall a great read.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I liked this author's writing style. The way she jumped from one situation to another made the book more interesting and livelier than if she had used a strict timeline. I particularly appreciated the little life lessons she presented in each episode and her very casual tone of voice.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

I found this to be a quick and inspirational read. The writing style makes the content very easy to absorb. She gives just the right amount of details regarding her live’s situations and how they’ve affected her in general. I also really liked the very carefully chosen quotes at the end of each chapter to further solidify the point and the meaning.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I did not like the writing style. I prefer things to be in order as it plays out, out of order things tends to make me quit reading.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I think it is great because it allows you to see it in a different light. It's not so much serious or moody, instead, it takes its perception and perspective more lackadaisically.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”