What do you think about the writing style?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: What do you think about the writing style?

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

A book especially that has a deep meaning like this should be an easy read if the message is to be grasped by the readers. And I felt the author has succeeded in it. As the language was easy and humorous!
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I have responded to this book before but I was so head over heels with the writing style and the story itself that I felt compelled to share a little more!!! I live how easy this book is to read and the simple terms used. Yet it is personal and gratifying and includes many lessons
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I am surprised but glad that I am not the only one who found the writing style to be a tad off. I know it's supposed to be episodic and I took what I could from each story, but the voice was certainly a bit weak.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Sam Lauren
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Currently Reading: The Dovekeepers
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-lauren.html
Latest Review: To love in vain by Pedro Merchant
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Sam Lauren »

I like it because it's more conversational. Think about when you talk to someone you've known a long time- anecdotes come up and become side discussions or inside jokes. It's like that.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

The author obviously has a great sense of humor and this is shown in their writing style. While I do prefer books that follow a linear path, if done well, books that jump back and forth in time can be really effective. I really enjoyed the life lessons included; it made the book relatable.
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by MayorE »

I really commend this book. I love her writing style because it consumes the reader and makes the reader feel like he or she is in the author's mind. It carries the reader along.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

I find the writing style refreshing for a memoir. Even the title is a winning element, all-round it has a different approach from other autobiography.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

I did not enjoy the writing style as much as I thought I would. The book was interesting and I liked reading about her experiences and how life is like a race, but the book was un-orderly.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Crystal Velasquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystal-velasquez.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by Crystal Velasquez »

While I agree that different can often be fun, the jumping around in times got a bit confusing for me. I did very much enjoy that it was much lighter than other memoirs that I've read and that she tried to keep a bit of humor in.
Chris Bobenhausen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Chris Bobenhausen »

I generally enjoy memoirs and biographies, whether they are written casually or formally. I found Trisha Ostroski’s writing not simply casual but choppy, erratic, and distracting. Often errors in grammar irritate me by disrupting the flow of my reading; the grammar errors in this book bothered me less than usual since my reading could never flow smoothly in the first place. I only related to the stories after fighting in my thoughts to connect the snippets in a comfortable way. The required effort made me dislike what could have been a fun read.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

First of all, I think that it is well written in the way it combines formal narrative with a conversational tone. You feel like Ostroski is really talking to you. Also, she has a way with humour that I really relate to; subtle or nuanced, but funny.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Bridgetbruso99 wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 03:42 I love the writing style because I feel so many of these types of books are so serious and boring. This book was funny, fun, and inspiring and you get to learn something along the way. It also teaches you to look for similar life lessons in your own experiences that you may not have thought about before.
I agree. Apart from many other books like this, this one is quite fun to read. It is true that we do not see a chronological story about the author's life. But if she tried to make it that way, it could have been another boring and less useful autobiography. But the she has carefully picked what to be told and in which order, so the ultimate outcome has become interesting as well as quite useful.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Precious Naiti wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 07:10 This book is so enjoyable and that is attributed to the style of writing employed by Trish Ostroski. A lot of adult books are grim and sometimes boring to read as everything is taken seriously. This book will surely make the reader get in touch with their humorous side and is guaranteed to make you enjoy every single page.
Most authors think that self-help books should have a serious accent to the readers to see the importance of the content. But what they tend to forget is that these books should be interesting to read. Otherwise how can the reader learn something from the book?

This author has well understood it. And also, since she is a comedian she knowd that the easiest way to deliver a message to people is by coating it with humour. So she has done that and she has been very much successful.
Sushan Ekanayake

sssns wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 01:47 I find the writing style refreshing for a memoir. The author shares slices of her life focusing more on the lessons and not much on the chronology.
Yes. Maybe the author did not want to share her whole life with others. So she carefully chose what she thought what is important to the readers, and her selection has been good enough to attract the readers and keep them held to the reading till the end of the book. So she has written a memoir, with a refreshing way, including so much humour and so many life lessons.
Sushan Ekanayake

jeanmtdb wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 07:48 I think her writing style is refreshing. She tells stories of her life to demonstrate the lesson learned in real life. Her humor adds to the readability so that it's not just another self-help book.
She has written a unique self-help book (if we see this as a self-help book. But keep in mind that it has an autobiography part as well). Maybe that is the reason for her to not to adhere to a chronological order. Who needs a chronology when you want to teach something to your audience? So she has selected the important life events from her life and shared them with us along with the lessons that she learnt from them as well as what she intend us to learn from them.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”