Self-help vs autobiography

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Re: Self-help vs autobiography

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I think it's a matter of the reader's perception...or choice. If they are looking simply for an autobiography, then the book certainly fulfills that role. The author, however, has written the book in such a way that it also has 'inspirational' or self-help value for those readers who are open to her messages.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

The author did not go through the conventional route of writing a pure autobiography and brilliantly blended both genres of self help and autobiography in the book with a twist of humour to make the story feel lighter and more enjoyable to read.
Arun_Bohra_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arun-bohra-001.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arun_Bohra_001 »

Yes I think she has succeeded in this. Learning from others stories is always great and if the writer is guiding along with reading the story then it becomes even better. I think that this kind of perfect is way better than either of the two ways.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

I think it’s a perfect blend. I think as an autobiographer she is reflecting on her experiences and how they’ve had meaning on her life and wants to share that with other readers. I would say it’s very inspirational so therefore it could easily be helpful to other readers who may need inspiration.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

I believe the author’s attempt to blend both self-help and autobiography in executing this book paid off. Her story came across as an inspiring memoir with useful lessons the reader can learn from.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Joez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joez.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joez »

Oh yes! I found There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski to be so inspirational. I think she went beyond just an autobiography to inspire with her personal journey in life, and she made it enjoyable too
meike schroeder
Currently Reading: Say my name
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meike-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by meike schroeder »

In my opinion, autobiographies give a more easy-to-grasp view of problems or issues, especially when you read an autobiography that is in tune with your life or situation.

The author's experiences and feelings portrayed in the book makes a real-life guide to show you how to find your way in life.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

She was definitely successful. It's rare seeing a book that has both autobiography qualities, alongside self-help qualities. Narrating through her experiences, she showed how others would learn from them.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I think the author did an excellent job of blending self help and autobiography. Each episode by itself was fun and interesting. And the little "life lessons" that came with each event showed not only how to learn and improve from adversity but also how to maintain a positive attitude every day.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I feel the author has not only succeeded in blending both an auto-biography and a self-help book as she wrote her story, she also kept it fun and light-hearted and easy to read and very relatable to the readers. These qualities will stay with people for a long time.
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

Yes, I think the author succeeded in combining the book into both a self-help book and an autobiography. She did a great job with that aspect too. She has a lot of great advice for others that she's picked up along the way in her life, and she shares it in a fun and creative way.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

In my opinion, she has successfully blended autobiography with a self-help feature. The whole idea of the book is unique, and it probably depends on the reader as well. Some readers could only see it as an autobiography without allowing themselves to get inspired by her words.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I think incorporating self-help tenets into her memoir allowed this book to be more than a story. It seemed to have offered enough actionable advice for its readers. I think in that respect Trish was able to go beyond an autobiography and succeed in her attempt to inspire her readers.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

It's usually difficult to see a self-help book without the stories or experiences of the author. It's certain that the author successfully incorporated the genre of autobiography into a self-help book. The relevant lessons were sufficiently passed across.
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Post by Hiru1998+ »

I consider autobiography if it is of a emotionally, successful person. Because while most people can write self help books an autobiography is written mostly if the person is a highest in a sector. It can be spiritual or materialistic. I would prefer reading a self help book written by a person who has a great autobiography. Ex:- If Mother Theresa would have written a self help book, that will be the number one for me. Because sometimes self help may seem too magical and sweet words, but an autobiography is way more real.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”