Self-help vs autobiography

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Re: Self-help vs autobiography

Post by Purplesturv »

Reading the autobiography of someone who is leading an exemplary life is like reading a self help book because there's always so much to learn from such people. The author has succeeded in blending both in one book which makes it very relatable and easier to inculcate the positive aspects of the authors life
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

I have read many autobiographies some are so boring that I can't put that in words. Her writing skill shows her fun personality which makes her book even more interesting to read. U just don't need to make your life just so simple. Make it fun because you are living it
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

The author has definitely succeeded in her attempt her. While I am all for the self-help squad, I didn't mind the occasional autobiographical element in such books. It gives you a certain flow in the book- a type of continuity. And the way she infused the mini lessons with the story is simply genius.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

I do not think that someone's biography can be an aid to another. Yes, there may be people I will help, but only if they have a similar story to the writer. Otherwise, it would hardly affect the self-help style in any way other than to motivate you.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

This book seems much more like an autobiography to me than a self-help book. Often this book goes down a winding path that seems to be included mainly for the author to share her own life challenges rather than benefiting the reader with advice, as a self-help book would do.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”