Meaning of life

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Re: Meaning of life

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I can see why the author says that the meaning of life is to create but I don’t think that is the only meaning of life. I believe that the meaning of life is to live the best possible life you can. To treat others how you want to be treated. But at the end of the day we as a people do create but we can also cause a lot of destruction.
Nada Diaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nada-diaa.html
Latest Review: Lost in the reflecting pool by Diane Pomerantz

Post by Nada Diaa »

Actually i don't think i agree with the author. I've always believed that the meaning of life is just to be happy. It's so easy to be caught up in this world and forget to take care of yourself, you forget to know yourself, to know what truly makes you happy and thrilled, you forget to save your peace of mind from any wind or storm that it's in front of you.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Amanda Dobson wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 15:59 I can see why the author says that the meaning of life is to create but I don’t think that is the only meaning of life. I believe that the meaning of life is to live the best possible life you can. To treat others how you want to be treated. But at the end of the day we as a people do create but we can also cause a lot of destruction.
I also agree that part of our meaning of life is to create. I do not think that is our whole purpose. I think we should try to live our best lives and treat others nicely, but that's not necessarily our entire purpose either. We are each here for a purpose and we have to live out our own purposes. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Nada Diaa wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 20:40 Actually i don't think i agree with the author. I've always believed that the meaning of life is just to be happy. It's so easy to be caught up in this world and forget to take care of yourself, you forget to know yourself, to know what truly makes you happy and thrilled, you forget to save your peace of mind from any wind or storm that it's in front of you.
I do agree with the author that part of the meaning of life is to create. We are constantly creating something, whether tangible, like books, or less tangible like memories. But, we are creating. I do not believe our purpose in life is to just be happy, no offense, but there has to be more than that. Happiness is fleeting and depends on our current circumstances, if that is our only purpose we will be sorely disappointed in the times we are not happy. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

Eutoc wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 00:30
Michaeljerry309 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 02:11 To be very honest, iv always believed that the purpose of life is simply to live and what you choose to do while living is up to you and not up to any external forces. So I don’t agree with Trish Ostroski but I do see her point and I understand it but it wasn’t convincing enough to win me over. I enjoyed There’s a Rooster in My Bathroom nontheless.
Irrespective of how you choose to live, there's always an iota of creation in what man does. It shouldn't necessarily be to conform to influence of external forces
I very much agree with this. In this messy world, the key is to realize that every little thing you do, however trivial, every interaction creates something, some form of energy or impulse. It has the potential to impact somebody's life. And through that living being, many more. It goes on and on. It is especially true today, in a world that has never been more interconnected. I bet that looking at the most isolated person you know and summing up everything they have done directly and indirectly in their lifetime in this way (if we were all-knowing) will invariably amount to much more than it seems initially.
Frankline Orwa
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Frankline Orwa »

markodim721 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 07:59 I agree with the author, that the meaning of life is to create. It is up to man to influence his environment and change it according to his needs.
I don't agree with you that the meaning of life is to create it.If I tell you to create your life to be that of happiness till the end will you do that?
That why I think the meaning of life is influenced by our environment
Anjali Patil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjali-patil.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Anjali Patil »

For me, Life is a journey where we start on our own and connect through many people and let them join us in our journey to the end. We meet many people, some are there for us to support and some are there to challenge us with our capabilities. And what matters the most is how we connect with each of them and live our life by creating a meaningful relationship with them.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

DTamara wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 10:03
Eutoc wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 00:30
Michaeljerry309 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 02:11 To be very honest, iv always believed that the purpose of life is simply to live and what you choose to do while living is up to you and not up to any external forces. So I don’t agree with Trish Ostroski but I do see her point and I understand it but it wasn’t convincing enough to win me over. I enjoyed There’s a Rooster in My Bathroom nontheless.
Irrespective of how you choose to live, there's always an iota of creation in what man does. It shouldn't necessarily be to conform to influence of external forces
I very much agree with this. In this messy world, the key is to realize that every little thing you do, however trivial, every interaction creates something, some form of energy or impulse. It has the potential to impact somebody's life. And through that living being, many more. It goes on and on. It is especially true today, in a world that has never been more interconnected. I bet that looking at the most isolated person you know and summing up everything they have done directly and indirectly in their lifetime in this way (if we were all-knowing) will invariably amount to much more than it seems initially.
I would agree with this. We do affect others more than we realize, or even in some cases, more than we want. The world is very interconnected, and I agree, more so now than ever.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Frankline Orwa wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 21:24
markodim721 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 07:59 I agree with the author, that the meaning of life is to create. It is up to man to influence his environment and change it according to his needs.
I don't agree with you that the meaning of life is to create it.If I tell you to create your life to be that of happiness till the end will you do that?
That why I think the meaning of life is influenced by our environment
I'm not sure I understand you. Of course I could try to live as happy a life as possible, but it depends not only on my will but also on other factors.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Amit Gurman wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 13:14 I would be hard-pressed to believe it to be true. As humans, we actually can't "create". This is simply because our "creations" are formed from already created matter; we can't create something from nothing. I believe mankind's purpose is instead to elevate. Take what has been created already and use it for good. Food has been already been created, eating to obtain energy and do good would be elevating it and succeeding in one's purpose in life. However, simply eating because one craves a certain food would be detrimental to fulfilling one's purpose in life.
I guess it depends on how you define create too. I see what you are saying. I do agree with you that we cannot create something out of nothing, only God can do that. But, I see creating as, creating new memories, new texts, new books, etc...so I feel like part of our purpose is to create. I just do not feel it is our entire purpose. I do believe that we are to use what is here for good as well Thank you for sharing your thoughts and giving me something to think about.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I disagree, I do believe that while living if you are able or willing to create then that is just a plus. However, the meaning of life itself is not to create.
t_mann23
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-mann23.html
Latest Review: Soria's Blood by D.L. Brownson

Post by t_mann23 »

I think creating is a good meaning to life, but not necessarily the only one. I think most of us try to create things while we're alive (food, books, movies, TV shows, companies, legacies, relationships, people, etc.) but most of all, we're just trying to live and be happy. Some of us enjoy creating and some of us don't, and that's fine.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Nathaniel Owolabi wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 09:14 I disagree, I do believe that while living if you are able or willing to create then that is just a plus. However, the meaning of life itself is not to create.
I believe that part of our purpose is to create. We are constantly creating something. Right now I am creating this post in response to the post you created. I also believe that it is not the only meaning of life. Thank your to sharing your opinions.
Maria_Kubicova
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-kubicova.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Maria_Kubicova »

The meaning of life, in my opinion, is to just enjoy it and make the most of it while we can. It is entirely subjective whether it is for someone to 'create' or to improve oneself. Many religious people find purpose in their lives by following God and living in his image.
Thabo Sibanda 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabo-sibanda-1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Thabo Sibanda 1 »

There are only two meanings of life: to discover your purpose and do what you love. By discovering your purpose, you are propelled in the direction of what you love and that in turn creates one simple phenomenon.... LIVING.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”