The Idiot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RosePepper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosepepper.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Re: The Idiot

Post by RosePepper »

lunablue_x3 wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 15:24 The character of Prince Myshkin works both as a Christ figure, and as a study of an individual with epilepsy.
This is very true! There's actually numerous works written on this very topic. It can become quite a long-winded and very interesting discussion.
lunablue_x3
Currently Reading: Phenomenology of Perception
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunablue-x3.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by lunablue_x3 »

RosePepper wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 10:41
lunablue_x3 wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 15:24 The character of Prince Myshkin works both as a Christ figure, and as a study of an individual with epilepsy.
This is very true! There's actually numerous works written on this very topic. It can become quite a long-winded and very interesting discussion.
Hi RosePepper. Are there any specific writings on this topic that you recommend? Maybe something fairly contemporary?
Thanx!
RosePepper
Currently Reading:

Post by RosePepper »

lunablue_x3 wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 12:45
Hi RosePepper. Are there any specific writings on this topic that you recommend? Maybe something fairly contemporary?
Thanx!
Unfortunately, I can recommend nothing in English. Since I'm not a native English speaker, most theoretical works I know are usually continental European in origin - so, translation of Russian, French, German works - and all of them pretty old. ^^'
If you're interested in Russian literature, though, and it's theory - I definitely recommend reading the works of Mikhail Bakhtin. It's old, true (so if you're explicitly looking for something contemporary it might not be your thing) - but, Bakhtin's work is a cornerstone in literary theory (especially the one relating to Russian literature). In fact, we still read it at the university to this date. And modern day theorists still bring him up on occasion.
Sorry I wasn't much of a help. ^^'
lunablue_x3

Post by lunablue_x3 »

RosePepper wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 08:46

Thanx!
Unfortunately, I can recommend nothing in English. Since I'm not a native English speaker, most theoretical works I know are usually continental European in origin - so, translation of Russian, French, German works - and all of them pretty old. ^^'
If you're interested in Russian literature, though, and it's theory - I definitely recommend reading the works of Mikhail Bakhtin. It's old, true (so if you're explicitly looking for something contemporary it might not be your thing) - but, Bakhtin's work is a cornerstone in literary theory (especially the one relating to Russian literature). In fact, we still read it at the university to this date. And modern day theorists still bring him up on occasion.
Wow. Your comments are extremely helpful. Thank you! I will definitely look into Mikhail Bakhtin. Say, didn't he also write about Anarchist theory?
RosePepper
Currently Reading:

Post by RosePepper »

lunablue_x3 wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 16:47

Thanx!
Wow. Your comments are extremely helpful. Thank you! I will definitely look into Mikhail Bakhtin. Say, didn't he also write about Anarchist theory?
Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad to be of help! :)
Sorry for the late reply too...
I don't know if he wrote anything about anarchist theory (though I think he did get in trouble with the regime for his writings - but, then again, who didn't in old Russia? :roll: )
If you happen to find his writing on Dostoevsky interesting, maybe you'd be interested in his work on Rablais and the concept of carnevalisation?
lunablue_x3

Post by lunablue_x3 »

RosePepper wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 17:56
lunablue_x3 wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 16:47

Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad to be of help! :)
Sorry for the late reply too...
I don't know if he wrote anything about anarchist theory (though I think he did get in trouble with the regime for his writings - but, then again, who didn't in old Russia? :roll: )
If you happen to find his writing on Dostoevsky interesting, maybe you'd be interested in his work on Rablais and the concept of carnevalisation?
Thanks very much! I will check it out. Cheers!

Return to “Classic Books”