A Bravo new world: Aldous Huxley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
consu125
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 2

A Bravo new world: Aldous Huxley

Post by consu125 »

This book has everything to be considered a great book in several aspectos. I’ve read it through different periods of my life and with a variety of porpusses, always finding something new. This books exposes not only a fun fiction story, but a deep message and analysis of the human values and culture, making the readers feel so close to a story set in a ficción al future. It touches a variety of topics, such as materialism, religión, morality, gendere roles, individuality, and freedom. In summary, it is a book that you must read, and re read, because always hace something new to teach.
nomnombooks
Currently Reading: Die Uhr, die nicht tickt
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomnombooks.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by nomnombooks »

This was one of the books I have wanted to read forever and never got around to it. But last year I finally read it and I absolutely loved it. Although it is a bit dated, it is very fitting for our current society and I could relate to many things. Would definitely recommend reading it.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I read this book and high school and it is one of the standouts from that time that I remember loving. I should read it again now, as you suggested. I'm sure my takeaways would be completely different.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

This was one of the novels I had to read during my school life, but it was definitely one of my most well loved. It consists of a thrilling storyline that has twists and turns that are unexpected and exciting. In turn, as stated previously it does this through a fictional extreme future that touches on societal issues that are very much present today.
cassandra l
Currently Reading: A Woman's Prerogative
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by cassandra l »

I loved this book, not only for reinvigorating my love of science fiction, but also for bringing something unique to my thoughts. I will re read and have recommended it countless times to all kinds of readers.
Karlee_Fenn
Currently Reading: The Two Towers
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlee-fenn.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Karlee_Fenn »

It was a great thought-provoking book. The sort of book that is great for discussions and book clubs. I had a hard time with it because there wasn't a single character that I liked. Everyone was awful in their own unique way. I had been wanting to read it for a while, and while I'm glad I finally got around to it, I will never read it again.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

This is a great book - provocative and unexpected. It is a wonderful dystopia, one that has aspects that resemble our culture. On top of that, the social and political statements being made in this novel are so applicable to life today. I think it is a book that generates a lot of discussion and reflection. Love it!
JaimeAlfonzo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaimealfonzo.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JaimeAlfonzo »

I loved it, after a time i realize that the future described in e Brave New World is more terrible than the future described in 1984. In Brave New World the human sell their soul for pleasure in a very consensual ways.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I read this in college, maybe once before that, and I saw the movie. I thought the book was better than the movie - I would have sided with John the not so savage, savage. I did not particularly like the movie or the book. Maybe I'm old fashioned or too paranoid and untrusting but I just don't think that being constantly drugged is the way God intended folks to be. There are so many fascinating and beautiful things to see and do, I don't particularly care to see them from a drug induced state. In addition, I have quite an imagination, I think I could probably imagine. One of my favorite quotes is from another Huxley novel entitled Island. I might have it a bit wrong, but it is: "If I only knew who in fact I am, then I should cease to behave as who I think I am, and if I should cease to behave as who I think I am, then I should know who, in fact, I am". I suppose the meaning could be similar to "I think, therefore I am" of Rene Descartes and Nike's "Just Do It".
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Classic Books”