Pride and Prejudice vs The Great Gatsby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Pride and Prejudice vs The Great Gatsby

Post by PepperedPenelope » 24 Feb 2019, 14:29

tvonbrachel wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 22:29
These novels are very difficult to compare/contrast. The category of classic books is very, very broad, and we see it here with Pride and Prejudice and The Great Gatsby. They, obviously, are romantic novels, but to claim that one is better than the other is simply a matter of opinion, and what someone may be looking for in a book. Personally, I would always choose The Great Gatsby, but that's simply because I love Fitzgerald's writing flow, and I can't get enough of the overall story. This may only be because it was one of the first classics I've ever read, so it holds a special place in my heart. As for other people, they may be looking for something a little deeper in a novel. It all just depends, really.
I agree with this! While I liked Pride and Prejudice better, I think Gatsby is a great glimpse into that time period and Fitzgerald is a really great writer!

spencermack
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading: Pretties
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: The Rhine by R.L. Dean

Post by spencermack » 21 Mar 2019, 12:47

Currently reading the Great Gatsby and I am entranced. It has taken me a while to get around the classic books. Many of them I avoided because I was forced to read some in school. But now I can appreciate their genius.
Spencer Mack
Latest Review: The Rhine by R.L. Dean

coffeeteal
Currently Reading: The Grand
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: B07RB71NTN

Post by coffeeteal » 20 Jun 2019, 03:25

I have only watched The Great Gatsby movie and haven't read it. I liked the movie. I have read and re-read and re-lived Pride and Prejudice :angelic-cyan: . So it is Pride and Prejudice for me.

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by corinaelena » 11 Jul 2019, 23:16

I don’t think we should compare them. They are completely different books, witten in completely different times. Jane Austen is a very romatic writer, while Fitzgerald loves to make reference to the society of his time.

BarelyHuman
Favorite Book: How to Marry a Marquess
Currently Reading: The Duke's Shotgun Wedding
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by BarelyHuman » 29 Jul 2019, 04:09

Ahh... The Great Gatsby

I think both Pride and Prejudice and the Great Gatsby are very amazing books but for some reason, I've always preferred the Great Gatsby. I don't know why, maybe it's because I was really young when I read Pride and Prejudice and I wasn't just ready for it. The book to me was boring and it dragged on and on and on but the Great Gatsby is different. There is just something appealing the American dream, bootlegging and the light at the end of the lawn where Tom Buchanan's property joined with Jay Gatsby's. :doh:

There is a melancholic tone to the parties, the strings that connected the characters, the death of Myrtle, the lies told by Tom Buchanan, the history between Daisy and Jay which led to most of the events in the book and finally the death of Jay Gatsby is the symbol of the typical American man in the 20s chasing the American. The blue light at the end of the lawn.

The only thing I can remember about Pride and Prejudice is a lady playing the piano so forgive me if I prefer Fitzgerald to Austen.

paulkinyuao+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by paulkinyuao+ » 06 Aug 2019, 10:24

I always knew this day would come. When I was asked to choose between two love affairs.

Whilst taking on the task of going off-topic, I will say this.

I married and loved Pride and Prejudice because she inspired me.

The Great Gatsby, will always, remain close to my heart..As the read that got away.

Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 » 25 Aug 2019, 16:12

I agree that Pride and Prejudice was, for me, a better read than The Great Gatsby. Most of that has to do with the ending though, as I really enjoyed TGG through most of the book. But you really can't beat the witticisms in PaP, and Lizzy was a role model for me in high school, defying her parents who want to set her up with a man she can't actually stand, and then coming to find that a man she thought was terrible was actually very kind. It's in some ways a Beauty and the Beast tale, but the Beast strictly being a paradigm in Lizzy's mind.

MrunalT
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalt.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by MrunalT » 14 Sep 2019, 09:52

Between the two books, definitely Pride and Prejudice. The great gatsby is a good book, but not worth the hype around it. Nothing extraordinary.

Return to “Classic Books”