Which classics may fall out of favor in the future?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RosePepper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosepepper.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Re: Which classics may fall out of favor in the future?

Post by RosePepper »

I think this is a question largely dependent on the region in which you live in - even now certain books are (or are not) considered classics in certain regions. Per example, I who live in non-english part of Europe always get surprised by the American list of classics, since most of those books no one ever mentioned where I live.

Also, I don't think obsolete language is that big of an issue - maybe for kids, and maybe eventually - but, there will always be language enthusiasts even among non-academic readers who will find joy and pride in reading "more difficult" books. So, personally, I don't think we'll be seeing the back of Shakespeare anytime soon. XD
Same for "problematic" books. In fact, some of them might survive because they're problematic - as a good way of starting dialogue about historical issues that really should never be forgotten - like slavery or WWII.
Which is why I'm flabbergasted that the powers-that-be in america decided to ban Anne Frank's Diary. To be fair, no one really enjoys reading that book (it shakes you up really good), but it is absolutely important as testimony of the horrors of WWII.

Personally, I would love to see more glossed-over authors of marginalized populace to emerge into the classics list. Not as a removal of previous ones, but as it's addition. And also, for it to be readily available to everyone - so when someone feels like reading something quintessential from e.g. Africa or India or Japan etc. they can; so they can delve into the mentality and cares of those people, and through that meet with them and empathize with them - and ultimately grow more accepting of other views and cultures. True, that would make for a really long list, but still... It would be great.

Sorry for the long block of text. XD This is definitely a topic that people write dissertations on - so it really has a lot to be discussed. XD
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

I agree that Shakespeare will fade out because the generations of today love what is easy to understand. The Shakespearean English is too difficult and I don't think people will have time for it in the future. All in all, Shakespearean remains dear to me, the most romantic of all languages ever written.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

pricklypurple wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 16:14 Unfortunately, I think Shakespeare will fade out with time because it is essentially written in a language we don't speak anymore. So, unless it is updated, kids generations from now will not be able to understand it at all.
I had an English teacher point out that nobody spoke English as a Shakespeare play has it. In fact, he made up quite a few words with his work. The idea was to write in a pattern that helped actors on stage remember their lines. Iambic Pentameter, as they still teach in school. So I feel that if we forget Shakespeare, it will be unfortunate times like Brave New World where all the classics are a government’s propaganda, and only the outsiders would know the name for as long as they were permitted to live...
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsnikk »

gkgurley wrote: 29 May 2018, 11:36 I think we'll see Gone With the Wind disappear. The romanticism of the South is (and needs to) end, and as well written as the book is, there are a lot of problems. The movie is what has kept it in view because so many schools and classes have stopped teaching the book, but once fewer people see it and Rhett Butler isn't quoted as often, I think we'll see it fizzle out.
I completely agree. I’ve wondered why it was romanticized to begin with. Atrocities were committed!
Marsnikk

Post by Marsnikk »

Lil Reads wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 18:32
Dael Reader wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 20:22
gkgurley wrote: 29 May 2018, 11:36 I think we'll see Gone With the Wind disappear. The romanticism of the South is (and needs to) end, and as well written as the book is, there are a lot of problems. The movie is what has kept it in view because so many schools and classes have stopped teaching the book, but once fewer people see it and Rhett Butler isn't quoted as often, I think we'll see it fizzle out.
I agree. And won't miss it when it fizzles.
I hope that happens soon. Replace it with The Wind Done Gone that is the story retold from Scarlett's half-sister and focuses on the perspective of the slaves. Still on my TBR pile, but I cannot wait to get it.
Ooohhh. I’ll be on the look out for this one!
Marsnikk

Post by Marsnikk »

I hope that “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” is added to the classics list.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I think War and Peace is going to fade. It's so long and slowly paced, most of us just don't have the attention span for works like that anymore.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

Dael Reader wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 20:25 I feel like Moby Dick should be on its way out. The only people I know who think it's worthwhile are the English profs who teach it.
I'm so glad to hear that, and here's to hoping your prediction will come true!
Debra123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debra123.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Debra123 »

I just read Anne Frank. Well, reread it. It was required reading when I was in school. I loved it. What a different perspective you get from it when you’re...older. I’m sure I found it boring when I was younger, although I don’t remember. There are so many misspellings in it and other weird stuff going on with the text, it can be distracting. I kept wondering if they didn’t edit it, which is fine, but then I considered that it had to be translated. I’m still not sure why it was like that. Anyway, I’m a little obsessed by the whole story right now.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I look for many of the classics to end in the future. I find that many works from authors like Shakespeare, Hawthorne, and even Poe aren't read as much these days. Books like Gone With The Wind, Uncle Tom's Cabin, and others that speak of slavery and subjects that others are offended by are gradually going away. I personally, feel that it is a part of our history and we should learn from it.
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

I think Wuthering Heights and Tess of d' ouberviles may not be read much in the future because of their depressing nature. Uncle Tom's cabin may also fall by the wayside because it's topic is so heated.
Sarah10
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sarah10 »

Tessa23Darling wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 19:36 I'm thinking the "Scarlet Letter" will no longer be a classic if it hasn't been removed from that list already. Considering it's about a woman who had a child out of wedlock and I know 6 friends who had their child before marriage, I'm thinking that book would be considered offensive by many.
I dunno ... I've had to read it in 5 different classes in high school and college, once very recently. I think books like that's are classics because they paint a picture of a time period, so they still serve a purpose.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

Brittany J wrote: 26 May 2018, 02:26 That's such a shame. I loved The Giving Tree and Winnie the Pooh as a kid. I had no idea these were banned some places.
Winnie the Pooh being banned is more than upsetting to me.
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

pricklypurple wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 16:14 Unfortunately, I think Shakespeare will fade out with time because it is essentially written in a language we don't speak anymore. So, unless it is updated, kids generations from now will not be able to understand it at all.
They better not "update" Shakespeare!! That would be like turning old movies into new "jazzy" and "modern" movies! Can you imagine The Wizard of Oz with skinny jeans and Iphones?!
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I never studied this is school and no teachers ever really spoke about it. I still heard of it as a famous classic but I can't even remember where from now. And I don't know the story

Return to “Classic Books”