Which classics may fall out of favor in the future?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Which classics may fall out of favor in the future?

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Maybe books written by H.P Lovecraft, he had some serious issues that bleed into his work.
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Bri C »

I haven't noticed the same level of classic-ignorance in the newer generation as some of the others in this thread have mentioned. Everyone I know has read Shakespeare plays, many of them of their own volition. Of the others, while there tends to be a wide range considering the sheer quantity, most know of the general ~Western Canon~ and have read or intend to read many of the books in it. For context, I went to a primarily engineering/STEM school, so it's not like it was a bunch of English majors. Many of them didn't have to read a single fiction book to get their degree. I'd say it's a good sign.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think Gone with the Wind will be gone in the future because the story wasn't really interesting. Furthermore, as the romance ends, the story was gone as well. I will not surprised if the kids in the future don't know about that book.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I suppose, none. I see classics as relevant part of history. Classic literature is timeless. It reflects or shows to the present people the past, its customs, political system, social system, and everything that had happened before that are crucial to explaining what and how the people became who they are in the present.

The present is the product of the past. Classic literature is timeless and I can't see any of it falling out in favor when future comes.

Just saying...
HopeW
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hopew.html
Latest Review: Guilty When Black by Carol Mersch

Post by HopeW »

smmoore2025 wrote: 25 May 2018, 10:46 Winne-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne

The intresting thing about this topic is not only are adult classics becoming obsolete, but children classics are as well. All over schools are banning books we once read. Claiming they premote bad behavor or insulting something or another. Banning books like The Giving Tree (Shel Silverstein), Anne Frank's Diary (Anne Frank) and Winnie-the-Pooh (A.A Milne) is a shame. How can they ban Winnie-the-Pooh for being considered an insult to god. I remember reading these books and never being able to put them down. They provide imagination and adventure for young minds and shouldnt be banned because one miniscule detail may seem offensive to one. Then dont read it. Children reading these books dont realize those details, all they care about is the wonderdul jounrey their taken on.

I realize this is an old post but what is wrong with Winnie the Pooh? I don't quite understand how it's an 'insult to god.' I did not know this was an issue. But you were definitely right about children classics falling out of favor since not too long ago Dr. Seuss had several of his classic books banned and removed from print.
HopeW
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hopew.html
Latest Review: Guilty When Black by Carol Mersch

Post by HopeW »

Tessa23Darling wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 19:36 I'm thinking the "Scarlet Letter" will no longer be a classic if it hasn't been removed from that list already. Considering it's about a woman who had a child out of wedlock and I know 6 friends who had their child before marriage, I'm thinking that book would be considered offensive by many.
I think I disagree with this since the 'Scarlet Letter' that has to be wore is to mark someone as an adulterer. This does not necessarily mean there was a child born. Hester is given the letter because she had an affair with Arthur while her husband is lost at sea. While the "A" initially stands for alterer and is meant to be shameful, eventually it becomes a symbol of power and stands for "Able " or "Angel." So, in the end Hester 's character, her baby, and the letter 'A'' represent love, strength, and respect. The story really has a positive meaning behind it but it does sometimes cause controversy.
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

Brittany J wrote: 26 May 2018, 02:26 That's such a shame. I loved The Giving Tree and Winnie the Pooh as a kid. I had no idea these were banned some places.
Winnie the Pooh is almost certainly banned in China because of recent political events.
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

jesscat304 wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 17:17 I can understand why people would think that Shakespeare will fade out, but thankfully there are some versions that have the normal English text besides the Shakespearan so hopefully that will not be the case.
Shakespeare should already be out by now. I never could understand middle English.
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

I wouldn't call a book that would fall in the future a classic. I don't think I know of anyone.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

Tom Sawyer. It has no thought but just the story of a boy in those times.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

I haven't read any classic that would lose its taste over time. If a book loses its taste then I don't tag it to be a classic.

Return to “Classic Books”