Les Miserables

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Re: Les Miserables

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

I read the book in french I loved it also saw the movie in Florida so that was cool. its a classic thats for sure.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Missalaeneous
Currently Reading: Medical Sign Language
Bookshelf Size: 731
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missalaeneous.html

Post by Missalaeneous »

I likewise love this book. I read the unabridged version, with all the history of the Napoleonic war and facts about nunneries. Yikes! Now, those parts seemed like unnecessary background, but I understand Hugo thrived on historical details. We had to give him some allowances in return for a flawless story of grace, and the most inspiring picture of true repentance in literature. (I.E. Jean Calhoun after he leaves the city, dialog looking at the coins). The whole book is so bittersweet, and has a depth to its characters that is unmatched in modern literature. Perhaps try the abridged version though!
Caoilfhionn73
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Caoilfhionn73 »

I am more than halfway though this book. It is one that I read a chapter of now and again as I often read several books at once . I love the beautiful descriptive language. Some of the words are old fashioned. This is a good thing though as I am increasing my vocabulary and exercising my brain. I hope to finish this classic before the end of the year .
Yafa1822
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yafa1822.html
Latest Review: "Her Irresistible Troublemaker" by Sonia Parin

Post by Yafa1822 »

I'm about to start reading this. I'm a bit daunted by the size though.
Latest Review: "Her Irresistible Troublemaker" by Sonia Parin
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I've read the book and I've seen the movie. I loved the book more. It was splendid.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by noorsawhney »

I've always wanted to read this acclaimed novel, especially since seeing the spectacular film, but am rather intimidated by the sheer length of it. I am also worried that the translation of the original does not quite do justice to the original, as I am wary that this happened when I read The Stranger by Albert Camus. Perhaps one day I will be brave enough to tackle it but for now, maybe not!
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

After seeing it on Broadway numerous times, and then on the big screen, I had to read it. I was amazed at how much detail from the book is in the musical. The book allowed me to get the back story on each character, which explained their individual actions in the play.

The only thing that became difficult was the author’s penchant for political commentary. Hugo wrote the book just a few years after the actual events, so his political commentary is raw and, on occasion, quite lengthy. Readers at the time would have recognized each of the figures he tells about, but I had to do a lot of researching to fully understand the history. Toward the end I admit I skimmed a few of those chapters so I could get on with the story.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

I didn't realize the depth of this book before I read it, and expected to speed through it really quickly... So I was pretty caught off guard when it turned out to be more of a "take your time and savor the messages herein" kind of book. Loved it.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

ive seen the film, and the stage production, just bought the book, v excited to finally read it
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

I've read the unabridged twice and the abridged five times. I have Valjean's (first) prison number tattooed on my arm. I adore this story. I think Valjean is the perfect metaphor and encapsulation of struggle, oppression, and defining one's self. His redemption and care for Cosette is beautiful. The students fighting a losing battle, knowing they won't win but can't NOT fight, is a beautiful and tragic depiction of political activism. Fantine's story is so unbearably tragic that sometimes in rereading the story I have to skim over it. Hugo writes oppression, faith, hope, and love so beautifully, I think fans of the musical should read the unabridged book.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I've been wanting to read this book for years, but I haven't gotten very far in the story yet.
I love the musical and the movie, the book is just harder to start.
Sophia Villo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-villo.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Sophia Villo »

palilogy wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 19:44 I've been wanting to read this book for years, but I haven't gotten very far in the story yet.
I love the musical and the movie, the book is just harder to start.
I fell in love with Les Mis long before I knew anything about the story. I heard the music in high school choir and it was a life changer. I finally got around to reading it a few years ago, and I was happily surprised to find how closely the musical followed the book, especially in comparison to other adaptations (I'm looking at you, Wicked).
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I'm not sure Wicked the musical would have been as successful if it stuck to the actual book lol
Love the book, but it's much more depressing.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I love this book. I especially love how Victor Hugo takes some time to tell us about the battles and their meaning. Sometimes interrupting the book to give us a history lesson. This made appreciate the characters and their circumstances even more.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I fell in love with Les Miserables when I first watched the movie version in high school. I love the music and storyline. I can’t wait to read the books.

Return to “Classic Books”