Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bookish Ivy
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookish-ivy.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Re: Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Post by Bookish Ivy »

I like Pride and Prejudice and even I read it several times. Jane Eyre is fine, but it does not appeal to me that much.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Akshobhya B »

It's not a fair question. Both the stories are so different. Pride and Prejudice is a more charming and fun book than Jane Eyre which is a brooding social criticism. I'd rather not compare these two books.
Maria_maria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Maria_maria »

Natalie Charlene wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 10:46 This is a tough one! i love both of these novels, and picking just one doesn't seem right, but forced to choose, I'm team Pride & Prejudice. I've lost track of how many times I've read that book, but I have only read Jane Eyre once. However, if we are pitting Austen against Bronte, my all-time favorite would have to be Wuthering Heights. I wrote a paper a few years back about the mental instability of Heathcliff, and it made me appreciate the text so much more.
I agree! I just finished reading Wuthering Height and still need to process it. I finished it in 3 days and it has a lot of emotions. To express how I felt about it I'm trying to understand the characters better. Is there any way that you can share with me your paper and what you wrote about Heathcliff? I would like to know what are your thoughts! Seen that you are an older member.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I'm very surprised that Jane Eyre is being compared to one of the best classical's of all time. Jane Eyre is good no doubt, but it is no were near Pride and Prejudice.
Katarina Radovcic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katarina-radovcic.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Katarina Radovcic »

This is a really tricky question! Pride and Prejudice is a story we all know too well and it holds a special place in my heart, but I don't think it's comparable to Jane Eyre. Not that the one is better that the other, it's just that each brings their own different elements that both have a certain value.
A little unrelated to that: when I was first reading Jane Eyre, I remember a certain boy in my school commenting: "Jesus, she's reading the Bible!" 😕
Back to the topic, I could compare the two books to Wuthering Heights because I liked the book when I first read it, but when I read it the second time, it did not necessarily change my mind, but it definitely sparked a couple of questions in my mind.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I loved Jane Eyre because pride and prejudice aren't really good. The story is just somewhat boring.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

I hate to be sitting on the fence, but I couldn't chose between them. They both have that classical thread to them, pulling our realities into a world no longer living. The storylines may have become worn out over time as many other writers have followed in this path... but the original, here, is rarely beaten.
Rebekah Longworth
Currently Reading: Misery

Post by Rebekah Longworth »

I prefer Pride and Prejudice. It probably helps that I read it for pleasure and read Jane Eyre for a class.
The male characters are more likeable in P and P than in Jane Eyre. Rochester as a Byronic hero is fine, but he really just seems like a jerk to me. In addition, I enjoy the familial aspect that Austen brings to the table in her novel. Where Jane is alone in her story, Elizabeth has her sisters to assist her. Really I just prefer Austen's characters to Brontë's, I suppose.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

The storyline in Pride and Prejudice is second to none. I don't think I would ever choose a book ahead of Pride and Prejudice
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

I'm heavily biased towards Jane Austen in general, and Pride & Prejudice in particular, so I cannot conceive of how anything beats Pride and Prejudice. I've read this book over 20 times and watched the movie probably as many times. I've read Jane Eyre once and I thought it was a good book, but to me, there is no competition.
HiipsterGlasses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by HiipsterGlasses »

Oh, this is a tough question for me as a fan of both. I love them equally but they serve different purposes. I read Pride and Prejudice if I'm in the mood for well-written, funny, wholesome romance. I read Jane Eyre for the drama and the drama alone. Mr Rochester is abhorrent as a male lead, so in that area there's really no competition.
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html

Post by Sia P »

It's difficult to choose between the two because I adore both of them. But, for some reason, I'm sticking with Pride and Prejudice. Simply put, I fell in love with Austen's writing style. Furthermore, this novel contains everything you might want: comedy, sarcasm, romance, and something to keep you going and turning pages.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

While both books are masterpieces, Jane Eyre has a different charm to it.
Riya Bodhak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-bodhak.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Riya Bodhak »

I haven't read 'Jane Eyre' till now but read 'pride and prejudice' and I loved it.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

Jane Eyre hands down. Much more independent than P&P

Return to “Classic Books”