Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ana Figueroa
Currently Reading: The Dollshouse Murder
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-figueroa.html
Latest Review: The Society of Living Poets by Andrew McCollister

Re: Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Post by Ana Figueroa »

Pride and Prejudice!! Elizabeth Bennett is a hero.
Juliana Jacinto
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Juliana Jacinto »

It’s hard to say what it is, but Pride has all my heart, although Jane Eyre comes close. I would like to start an online weekly group to read and discuss a classic book. If you have any interest, please let me know it by sending a message on insta at juju “dot” jacinto.
depressedandhalfgay
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by depressedandhalfgay »

I read Pride and Prejudice at age 11 (now turning 15 in 2 months) I've read the book at least twice a year since then (once in spring/summer then again in fall/winter). This has continued to be my favorite book over the years that I have known of it. While I do love Jane Eyre (read when I was 13) I truly believe in my opinion that Pride and Prejudice takes the cake. Of course there is the great development of the relationship between Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy, but it is so much more than that. The commentary from Jane Austen is truly what makes this novel amazing. How she writes of a comical, sarcastic, and even critical point of view about society and life around her at the time. How she wrote Mrs.Bennet to be that over-bearing voice of the opinions from everyone in society. So I stand by Pride and Prejudice over Jane Eyre.

P.S. I remember reading the first time thinking I was going to grow up to be the sarcastically charming Elizabeth Bennet but instead grew to be and relate to the unsociable and awkward Fitzwilliam Darcy. Lol
MBerretta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mberretta.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MBerretta »

I used to love Pride and Prejudice and was a staunch supporter no matter what. I actually read Sense and Sensibility for the first time and liked it even better than P&P. I've only read one Bronte novel, Wuthering Heights, but perhaps if Jane Eyre is comparable to P&P I better give it a shot.
"I want to learn everything I can, and I write down everything I see. Golly says if I want to be a writer someday, I better start now, and that is why I am a spy."

-Harriet M. Welsch (Harriet the Spy, 1996)
Priya naagar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Priya naagar »

Pride and prejudice enhances the choice, sense, strength of a women which makes the novel more interesting. I love the way how jane had explained the scenario for the women.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

Pride and Prejudice for me. I have re-read it multiple times, I completely adore it.
Alie Lowery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Alie Lowery »

I feel as if they don’t even compare to each other (of course others have the right to disagree and are entitled to their own opinions; I don’t mean any offense, this is just my personal opinion/preference). Pride and Prejudice is riveting and interesting. Jane Eyre is rather boring (although I kind of liked it) and the climax is rather dramatic and fake sounding. I love almost all the characters in Pride and Prejudice (for example, I found Mrs. Bennet to be funny (even though I didn’t actually like her)), but I found myself disliking basically every character except Jane in Jane Eyre.
Onyeka Robinson
Favorite Author: Jeff Meyer
Favorite Book: The Fourth Kinetic
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 174326

Post by Onyeka Robinson »

I love both but the inspired one is jane Eyre i love it more
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I believe both are really good, but in my opinion Pride and Prejudice definitely defeats Jane Eyre. The development of the story between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy and the changes in their relationship through time define my favorite parts of the book.
mohamed benziane
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohamed-benziane.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by mohamed benziane »

ASB_1 wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 01:35 I’ve been a die-hard fan of Pride and Prejudice since my childhood (I read it when I was twelve :P ) But last week I was literally shocked when during a discussion, a friend of mine said “Jane Eyre beats Pride and Prejudice”.
So, I would like to know your opinion. Which story is more appealing to you?
As for me, it is always Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy :wink:

definitely pride and prejudice all the way, the complex characters and the details given to them make them more attractive
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

deifnetly pride and prejudice, the charecters are very well built, just complex and detailed enough to make them almost real
Melanie Botha 1
Currently Reading: Ruler's of the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanie-botha-1.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by Melanie Botha 1 »

Ok this is not an easy answer. I will say Pride and Predjudice, but only because it was the first one I read. I immediately set about collecting all of Jane Austins works, (this is prior to the internet so see here flea market trawling and garage sales on a budget, not a quick internet search... :D )

I found Jane Eyre later, her books are a lot more layered and from what I have read of her life story one can see why they are so dark and tragic.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Pride and prejudice always and forever, i have nothing more to say 🤓
:tiphat:
Paluk Pathania
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Both the works are beautiful in their own aspects but I think I'll have to go with Jane Eyre. Though I'm not convinced to compare both the authors because they belong to completely different times and had distinctive styles . But if this is fair to say that Bronte' characters have moved me quite deeply , I'll go with the same. Austen' novels were alot about mannerisms, her words have so much warmth , but the emotions which I felt while reading the novels by Bronte sisters ... that took me somewhere else. :D
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

I'm not sure how to compare the two. One is a lighthearted romance and the other is a dark and sorrowful romance-ish. Both are brilliantly written but not in the same category, in my opinion.
-Amy

Return to “Classic Books”