Which Modern Book Will Become a Classic in the Future?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Which Modern Book Will Become a Classic in the Future?

Post by freakkshowx »

In every era, classics have emerged from some of the most poignant writers posing questions that pertain timelessly to humanity. What book that has been written within the past 20 years do you think will stand the test of time?
I think that Persepolis is a serious contender, and that Ruta Sepetys' Salt to the Sea and Between Shades of Grey are high up in the running as well. I think that much of the themes that will come out on top from the 2000's and 2010's will relate to war and the ethical questions surrounding it. Common motifs will most definitely include new-wave feminism. Do you agree? Why or why not?
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

This is an interesting question. For me the two that stand out are both series. Jean Auel's Earth's Children and Robert Jordan's Wheel series (even though I'm only half way through Jordan's series) Ethics and cultural differences both play huge roles, war and conflict are explored in both of them. Both also feature extremely strong female roles. Both of these series started, I believe, before the 20 years you're asking about, so I'm a touch off topic, but nothing more recent comes to mind. I will add your contenders to my reading list.
sarah[1904]
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sarah[1904] »

I often wonder if authors of the books we consider classics ever would have thought their words would live for so many years and have millions of eyes grace their pages. I believe A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini will become a classic. The subject matter of the novel, and the characters it centers on, are so important to today's times that the events will be talked about for years.
Alwaystkd
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaystkd.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Alwaystkd »

I wonder what made certain books a classic such as, Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, The Old Man and The Sea etc. Is it the message the author is displaying or maybe the popularity of the book that makes it a classic? It will be exciting to see which modern day books will one day be classics.
somsnam_16
Reading Device: pdf

Post by somsnam_16 »

I wonder how often we think about classic books today. It was masterpiece that no one can ever reproduce.And i believe that The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini or The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri might be one of the classics in near future.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I also wonder if what made a classic in the past would still make a classic today. Values have changed, media have more influence and “popular” books are not always quality readings.
Berry :wine:
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I think the Harry Potter series is classic.
Deenu
Currently Reading:

Post by Deenu »

I do think it's Harry Potter series that could be a possible contender to be a classic. It has the magical elements that are often seen in classics. Aren't witches, magics, wands and brooms part of fairy-tales which happen to be classics today?
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

I think Salman Rushdie's novels, Midnight's Children and The Satanic Verses, are well on their way to being classics from our time. Perhaps Barbara Kingsolver and Margaret Atwood's novels, as well.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

The first book that came to mind was A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It's nice to see a couple other people feel his work may become classic too. I have'nt read the books mentioned in the original post, but I do agree that the ethics surrounding war could become a theme. I also think we will see more works by women and minorities and topics concerning technology's role in shaping our world, human rights issues, and social issues.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I think the Harry Potter books have the potential to become classics. I say this because of the response they got when they were released, and because to this day people are still reading them, including the new generation.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Yes, the Harry Potter Series stands a chance since it is still being read by the current generation.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I personally hope that works by such authors as Zora Neale Hurston and Toni Morrison will become classics. Both authors wrote about important social topics and convey powerful emotions through their work. I read part of Beloved by Toni Morrison for class and found it so emotionally wrenching I had to set the book down to think about the impact it had on me. The previously unpublished work by Zora Neale Hurston is now out and her role in the Harlem Renaissance is still being uncovered.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

Harry Potter for sure, and another that springs to mind is Life of Pi. I wonder if any of John Green's books will go on to become classics, too, since they resonate so much with readers.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

It's a great question. The book that comes to my mind is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I see I'm not the only one to think this. It covers themes of our time and is beautifully told.

Return to “Classic Books”