Flashback School Reads

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sebasrodalba
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 18

Re: Flashback School Reads

Post by Sebasrodalba »

I've found that I appreciate some books far more now than I did when I was younger. However, I don't have a specific plan for reading them.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I've got a few re-reads from I plan to do soon, especially when the book was either an abridged edition (e.g. The Count of Monte Cristo) or something I tried to read on my own, but had to return or struggled too much with (e.g. Moby Dick).
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I have re-read some books from school and find as an adult to have a much greater appreciation for novels. At the same time, the discussions we had in school really helped me to understand the novels better than when I just read them.
S Chinaski
Currently Reading: Before They're Gone
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshiercat.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by S Chinaski »

Christina O Phillips wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 08:35 I would totally join a Flashback club!
I've wanted to re-read books to see if my thoughts on them changed. For example, I remember not enjoying Lord of the Flies, but never went back to see if I'd read it differently. I also remember absolutely loving Flowers for Algernon, but have never re-read it for fear of me not liking it as much the second time.
My sentiments exactly! I remember being pretty powerfully impacted by Flowers for Algernon; it really got my young mind churning and pondering some pretty deep thoughts. lol
It's one I've always felt doesn't get mentioned quite enough in classic book conversations.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

TIGER999 wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 03:21 I have decided to re-read books I was assigned & that were required in high school & college...many of which I wasn't very thrilled about reading at the time. Many of them are considered classics, & I think I'll have a totally new perspective decades later, & will probably get much more enjoyment & appreciation out of them now, having had so many more life experiences.

My first one is "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. Just wondering...Have any of you done anything like this? If so, what was your experience, and what books do you feel you benefited more from, years later and how? Would love to hear from anyone interested in this different kind of reading experience! :)
I second this, just added "To Kill a Mockingbird" to my want to read bookshelf. I plan on reading an Achebe and Soyinka book as part of my 2018 reading challenge. Also "The famished road" by Ben Okri.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

At school, I have read classic books such as The Outsiders, Robinson Crusoe and Macbeth.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

When I was very small, I also enjoyed reading the Chronicles of Narnia series, as they are books with tension and suspense.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I have done this in the past with books like The Scarlet Letter, Romeo & Juliet, The Lord of the Flies, and The Outsiders to name a few.

I love reading classics and may consider doing this again in the near future. I might be too busy to add them to my reading list now, however.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I haven't ever really considered doing this, but it is not a bad idea. There were many books assigned in high school that I did not appreciate for the literary works that they were. I might like to reread some of those again.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

Back in highschool, our Literature teacher gave us a lot of historical fiction and nonfiction from our country's Dictatorial Process to read, and I've been meaning to read them again. "There's some men downstairs" by Antonio Dal Masetto for example, a book that deals with the sentiment of paranoia and prosecution by the state through the eyes of a seemingly innocent man eaten by the oppressive atmosphere in his daily life.

I've also meant to reread The Hobbit, it's been some long years since I've walked Middle Earth with my favorite hobbit!
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

I like rereading them because I definitely have a different perspective now than I did then and it's interesting to see how I interpret the texts differently now.

Return to “Classic Books”