Anne Series by L.M. Montgomery (Spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jiya bothara
Favorite Book: Anne of Green Gables
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 16

Re: Anne Series by L.M. Montgomery (Spoilers)

Post by Jiya bothara » 28 Jul 2019, 05:29

Lexi_22 wrote:
21 May 2019, 14:50
I am a huge fan of the Anne of Green Gables series! I can honestly say that the person I am today was influenced by these books, specifically by the character of Anne Shirley herself. She is the most optimistic, enthusiastic, and imaginative person I have ever met (I feel like I know her personally even though that's not true in real life). I was very young when I was introduced to this beautiful story from Prince Edward Island, and it intrigued me to no end. These books follow the life of Anne Shirley from a young orphan girl to a talented and brilliant young woman set on making something of herself. She didn't allow the circumstances of her humble beginnings to stop her from pursuing her dreams. And she didn't allow her character flaws to hold her back from bettering herself and becoming the best version of herself possible. These books are about growth, the process of maturity, friendship, love, perseverance, and loyalty. They have taught me many things about how to live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment.
Very true. I feel the same

lettiebeth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lettiebeth » 07 Aug 2019, 01:53

Oh my word! Yes! We just might be kindred spirits. ;)

The Christmas I was eight, my grandmother gave me the complete boxed set. I read those books to pieces as a kid. I have taped and re-taped them over the years. She recently offered to get me a new set, but I told her that I treasure my old loved-to-death Anne books.

It is impossible for me to pick a favorite. I don't know if it's possible to match, much less excel, the magic of the first book, but if not, the sequels sure come close! I think Captain Jim and his Life Book are the best part of Anne's House of Dreams, and my favorite of all as a kid was Rainbow Valley. The older I get, the more beautiful and horrible Rilla of Ingelside becomes to me, especially as I read the journals of L.M. Montgomery and realized that in writing of the war, she was writing what she knew.

The only one I didn't care for as a kid was Anne of Windy Poplars, but I enjoy even that one now. I'm thirty-three and I still re-read the whole set every year or two.

If you haven't tried any of Montgomery's other books, I think you should. I'm also a huge fan of the Emily trilogy as well as Kilmeny of the Orchard, The Blue Castle, The Story Girl, and The Golden Road. I also really enjoy the short story collections compiled by Rea Wilmshurst.

May your hair by raven black! :wink:

UnicornKnight
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 670
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: A Gathering of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight » 08 Aug 2019, 21:33

I love this series! Admittedly I only got the first book when I was little and only read books 2 and 3 in high school. After that I found book 4 at around senior year and I sadly never finished all the books. I think after the focus wasn't on Anne as much I lost interest. But I still find myself reading books 1-3 every couple of years. Maybe it was because I read them when I was younger but I didn't expect Anne to actually end up with anyone, and I loved how she and Gilbert ended up together.

Return to “Classic Books”