To kill a mockingbird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
javaflipflops
Currently Reading: Wedding Cake Murder
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javaflipflops.html

Re: To kill a mockingbird

Post by javaflipflops »

This is such an amazing story and very well written. I also really enjoyed the movie. I'd say this book accurately portrays a part of our U.S. history. I really enjoyed how the story is told through the eyes of a little girl, too. The characters are well thought out and portrayed.
afendley
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afendley.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Post by afendley »

Harper Lee did a wonderful job dealing with racial and ethical issues. Atticus should be an inspiration to all.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

I've actually never read this book. How does everyone feel about the novel?
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Las_Diamond
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-las-diamond.html

Post by Las_Diamond »

Loved this book in school and I actually wrote my senior paper about it.
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

I loved To Kill a Mockingbird. I feel like it is a great story, with well developed characters and an interesting plot. I also believe it lets us get an idea of how segregation was like from both races, the blacks and the whites.it does have sad moments though.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

This is one of my wife's favorite books.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
panaginip
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by panaginip »

I read this when I was waaay to young to understand fully. I just knew that Boo Radley was my favorite character. I'm gonna reread it sometime this year!
Damos
Currently Reading: The Return of the King
Bookshelf Size: 79

Post by Damos »

Is this really good? I mean i have that this is one the best classics. But everytime i read it I am not able to connect to it. I have tried reading it several times but just couldn't continue after reading few pages.
Why is it so?
TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

AMP76 wrote: 16 Mar 2014, 14:04 Classified as classic literature, I wonder if at this time in our society, the youth would even understand this piece except as a history lesson. Mockingbird is a coming of age book, and exemplifies individual thought formation and consequences of moral action. However, since the Civil Rights Act, many instances of prejudice and racism have been diminished, hence the history lesson for today’s youth.
I'm sorry, but that's saying the elderly who enjoy reading wouldn't be able to understand modern books. They'll see it as "trends" this generation does instead of actually "understanding" the book. Of course youth today would understand "To Kill a Mockingbird." Even though the Civil Rights Act was passed, it doesn't mean discrimination has gone away. "To Kill a Mockingbird" is not a history lesson. It's an eye opener of how truly wrong our society is.
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
AnneBlythe101
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by AnneBlythe101 »

I have read this book and it is truly something that stayed close to my heart. I just wish that books like this gets assigned to those who would treasure it.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

akankssha23 wrote: 19 Feb 2014, 05:34 I've only recently read the book...
I guess one of the factors to have contributed to its success is how the writer has actually imagined the child's perspective and written about it in a manner that makes it lucid for the reader as well... a child doesn't know skin color or literacy level .. it only knows what is taught to him/her..
we take the world as it is for granted, not knowing the difficult lives that were led by the colored people back then; an eye opener for me at least!
I totally agree with your analysis concerning the writer's decision to write from a child's perspective. As a kid going into this book blind, and not really knowing anything about race relations, I realize that some of the finer points escaped me, just like how some of Scott's observations came to her without context.
Ritch_Bentley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritch-bentley.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Ritch_Bentley »

To Kill A Mockingbird is perhaps my favorite book, and I make it a point to re-read it every couple years. I would call it a must-read for everyone. Go Set a Watchman was also a nice follow up.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I love this book, such a mix of gentle homey anecdotes mixed up with the travesty of a trial and Boo Radley emerging from hiding.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I have already written a lot about this book on these forums so I won't repeat myself except to say that I consider it The Great American Novel .... so they can stop waiting for it. It has already been written.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I really need to read this book. For some reason my English teacher didn't have my class read it in highschool.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Return to “Classic Books”