Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shirayuki Hime
Favorite Book: Tiger's Curse
Currently Reading: Endless Water, Starless Sky
Bookshelf Size: 36

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Shirayuki Hime »

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is a beautiful romance classic. Even the 2005 adaptation was well done, even though it ended abruptly.
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." Chapter 1.
Enjoy!!!
Kinap
Currently Reading: Instant Pot Cookbook #2019
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinap.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kinap »

I absolutely recommend "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. This book is an absolute page turner! It's about a man who was betrayed left and right and later seeks justice. Such a great read!!
hazelk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hazelk »

"Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde", by R.L. Stevenson first published in 1886.
Moushmi Radhanpara
Currently Reading: Divergent
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moushmi-radhanpara.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moushmi Radhanpara »

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

The book is one of my favourite among the classics. I have cried and cribbed and laughed along with the characters of the book. The length of the novel does make it challenge to complete it, but as you read along you will just not want to leave the book midway. I, for one wanted even more from the book. As the book ends I had an empty feeling, wanting more, may be just a little more love out of the pages.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

Kinap wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 08:42 I absolutely recommend "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. This book is an absolute page turner! It's about a man who was betrayed left and right and later seeks justice. Such a great read!!
I agree wholeheartedly! This is such an amazing novel.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone is an absolutely brilliant book for anyone who is a fan of classical art history, and of Michaelangelo in particular. It is fiction, but based on known facts of Michaelangelo’s life and the historical events of the time. It is a vivid, moving, intense story of a remarkable man and his art.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

Moushmi Radhanpara wrote: 09 May 2019, 01:55 Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

The book is one of my favourite among the classics. I have cried and cribbed and laughed along with the characters of the book. The length of the novel does make it challenge to complete it, but as you read along you will just not want to leave the book midway. I, for one wanted even more from the book. As the book ends I had an empty feeling, wanting more, may be just a little more love out of the pages.
I agree wholeheartedly! I absolutely love Gone With the Wind. You are so right about wanting more after the book ends. Have you read the sequel called ‘Scarlett’? It is written by Alexandra Ripley. Also a very satisfying read and a great wrapping up of loose ends.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

There is a strong left-wing influence in Germinal, but anyway, the book is gold. Zola is totally underrated.
Moushmi Radhanpara
Currently Reading: Divergent
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moushmi-radhanpara.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moushmi Radhanpara »

Only1Cola wrote: 27 May 2019, 16:41
Moushmi Radhanpara wrote: 09 May 2019, 01:55 Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

I agree wholeheartedly! I absolutely love Gone With the Wind. You are so right about wanting more after the book ends. Have you read the sequel called ‘Scarlett’? It is written by Alexandra Ripley. Also a very satisfying read and a great wrapping up of loose ends.
Oh, no. But now that you have mentioned the sequel, I need to check it out as soon as possible. May be my desire to read more of the plot could be quenched there 🤔
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:

Post by magnoparisi »

Because knights are not always like King Arthur’s crowd.Some of them are crazy. Four hundred years old and still going strong.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:

Post by magnoparisi »

Because it seems almost impossible that one man can be this brilliant and do so much. A masterpiece of autobiography.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I would definitely recommend Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and Anthony and Cleopatra by Shakespeare. They're in different genres but they're two of the few classics I've actually enjoyed in all the years I've been reading.
Elphie
Currently Reading: Toward Happier Choices
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elphie.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Elphie »

Montetre' wrote: 24 Jul 2009, 17:48 Crime and Punishment ranks up there!
I loved it when i read it, and not just "crime and punishment" to my opinion every novel Dostoyevsky wrote is a masterpiece on its own.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I haven't read many classics recently but I would recommend King Solomon's Mines. The story was about a very interesting adventure.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak is the most underrated classic by far. It deserves much more consideration than we can at present afford to give it.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Return to “Classic Books”