Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ardentreader_19
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: The misery
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardentreader-19.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Ardentreader_19 »

"Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain is an amazing book that appeals a wide range of age groups of all times. I fell in love with the language and life of the book.
Terratears909
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Terratears909 »

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a marvelous gothic literature if your into such books
Amabeef369

Post by Amabeef369 »

I'm new to the book club. I just finished reading "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde for the first time. The things is that now I have more experience on love
hicksli7

Post by hicksli7 »

I recently finished "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. What an excellent foray into Russian literature for me! As a longtime student of the language, I look forward to the day I can attempt the Brothers K in its native Russian.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Here are two of my favourite classics-
1)To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
This is one the best books I've ever read. If I were to make a list of the top 10 books everyone should read in their lifetime, this would definitely top the list. The book is about racial discrimination and how Scout, a young girl, with her father and brothers looks at the world around her.
2) The Great Gatsby
This is another beautifully written book and one of those books that can be read just for the writing.
paulkinyuao+

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

The thing is , when anybody says classic, I see a godfather dressed in a 'Raymond-Reddington' hat coming out of a black car, driven by a chauffer, possibly called Alfred. Oh, the mind-twist. I will do my best to create a list free of this mind-warp;
1. 1984 by George Orwell
2.Frankenstein- Mary Shelley
3. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
4. The Godfather- Mario Puzzo
5. Theeves- by Paul Kinyua.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

Loving this thread! "The Picture of Dorian Gray" is on my list of books to read so I'm happy to see it here. I don't know if others consider this a classic but Anne of Green Gables is one I always recommend. The characters are wholesome and lovely and the plot recalls a simpler time in life. I wish I lived in a place like Avonlea and if you like whimsical, classics, you will too!
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Valeria_gr4
Currently Reading: How to live on 24 Hours a Day
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-gr4.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody

Post by Valeria_gr4 »

Twenty thousand leagues under the sea by Julio Verne
Masterfully written book for any adventure lovers out there. :tiphat:
Julio Verne had the incredible imagination and creativity, as many of you should know; he predicted many of the technological advances of the 20th or 21st century (either one of those, or both it is still pretty impressive).
This book is basically about the ocean and the wonders it hides inside through the eyes of a naturalist who gets into an unpredictable situation that will force him to explore the wonders of the oceans first hand. Fiction mixed with reality, Verne will leave you doubting what is real and what's not.
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bambiears »

I Greatly recommend pride and prejudice By MS. Jane Austin the inginuity of disscussing the pros and cons of various personnalitys in a novel form is somthing in my opinion only she has mastered.
Vera_bookily
Favorite Book: Guards! Guards!
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vera-bookily.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vera_bookily »

The Mythwriter wrote: 15 Aug 2009, 00:17 Everyone has at least heard of "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens, but I'm always surprised by how few seem to enjoy it. I'll admit that its true that the the plot, or rather plots, are very numerous and seemingly disjointed; yet the way they weave together in the end is simply genius, and I would think any who complain that plot lines are too linear these days would get their fix for life from this book.

I can only imagine that the complaints arise from how often the viewpoint jumps, and it's pretty hard to follow for awhile. In fact, I found myself really lost at a few points as to how anything was relevant. But when the conclusion comes around, and you see what everyone and everything is all about, your mind just reels from all the meaning you can draw from it!

Sydney Carton is definitely one of the most profound characters I know. A life of perpetual disappoint would lead so many to choose so differently, and especially when they could have benefited from it like he could have. But when he makes his final choice... not only giving his life a final purpose, but to define the height of true love and nobility, brings out the best of humanity we all hope actually exists in us.

This book will forever be one of my favorites... I wish I could talk about it for pages, but no one would read the post, haha! But the best way is to read it yourself.
I firmly believe that A Tale of Two Cities is a very underrated book. In school, most of my class thought The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy was superior as a book about the french revolution (we read both books, but in different grades). I have had heated arguments about the superiority of A Tale of Two Cities , both the plot and the description of the revolution. The book offers so much. While it is historical fiction, I feel it is also a thriller, and a romance. Do start a thread on the book. You will have atleast one dedicated reader.
AnnaLibri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annalibri.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by AnnaLibri »

Pride and Prejudice
Wuthering Heights
Jane Eyre
The Great Gatsby
Gone with the Wind
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Anna Karenina (for anyone really looking for a challenge!)
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
ratpizza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62

Post by ratpizza »

I recommend 'Rebecca' by Daphne du Maurier. I was skeptical about this book at first but it turned out to be a well written book that I will more than likely read again.
Abuhuraira cheema786
Currently Reading:

Post by Abuhuraira cheema786 »

hello i am the new member and i really love reading books actually i reading “A tale of two cities” brook last time and its really amazing book and ‘oscar wilde’ you won my heart thankyou very much for this and i hope u all peoples who read my post i think u need to read this books thankyou very much have a nice day!
supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supraja-prasad.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by supraja_prasad »

Hi all!
A newbie here. I found this discussion when I was exploring the page. Anyway, here's a list. This was my best 10+ as a high schooler. I am exploring more now, though.

1. Harry Potter series by J.K.Rowling (Fantasy)
2. Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (Children, Fantasy)
3. Bridge to Therbathia by Katherine Paterson (YA)
4. Perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (YA)
5. His dark materials by Philip Pullman (YA, Fantasy)
6. Inheritance cycle by Christopher Paolini (Fantasy)
7. Gaint's bread, Absent in the spring, A daughter's daughter, Burden by Mary Westmacott (Mystery/Crime/Thriller)
8.Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (Mystery/Crime/ Thriller)
9. Sherlock Holmes and The Lost World by Canon Doyle (Mystery/Crime/ thriller)
10. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Mystery/Fiction/Conspiracy/Thriller)
11. Rozbal line by Aswhin Sanghi (Mystery/Fiction/Conspiracy/Thriller)
12. Shiva trilogy by Amit Tripathi (Fantasy)
13. True blue by David Balldacci (Crime/Fiction)
14. Prisoner of birth by Jeffrey Archer (Mystery)
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

The Little Prince is my go-to reread and is a staple classic recommendation. It's suitable for young and old readers as the lessons are relevant no matter where you are in life.

Return to “Classic Books”