Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Adair McClain »

I read Dracula (Bram Stoker) back in the day. It was a hit and miss with me, but a book I felt like I should take the time to read. Dark and eerie. Didn't end like I expected (which is mostly a good thing in a book for me). Don't read expecting it to be anything like most of the newer vampire books/movies!

Treasure Island (Robert Louis Stevenson) is one of those books that sat on my shelf for years. One day I decided to read it just because it was there, and found that I actually enjoyed it. Found myself rooting for Long John Silver, and I "may" have been disappointed a little in how it turned out for him.

I want to broaden my horizons with classic novels, but some are really hard to get through. These two, at least, surprised me.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

A Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my all time favorites.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

sevencrows wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 12:48 A Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my all time favorites.
Agree - I really enjoyed this! I've read it twice now and will probably read it again in the future. What was your favourite part?
Astro1505
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astro1505.html
Latest Review: Amulet's Rapture by Linnea Tanner

Post by Astro1505 »

One of my absolute favorites definitely has to be The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I love the way the author weaves a tale of revenge that has so many different storylines. Every time I think the protagonist has finally come up against an insurmountable obstacle he surprises me by overcoming it. The story has adventure, love, drama, suspense. Everything one could want in a story.

As a hopeless romantic though, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen has to be my all time favorite. The way the romance blossoms between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy; their walks after he comes back to Longbourn; the way they both make each other better people and the way he speaks about her. I love the fact that Lizzie turns down a man, who in everyone else's eyes would make a suitable partner for her, because she knows that if he remains as he is their marriage would not make her happy. She prioritizes her feelings even though society would have it the other way. When Mr. Darcy takes Lizzie's words to heart and changes for the better it really made me smile because she proved that you don't have to settle, even if it looks like you're not. You can hold out for exactly the person you want.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

HarryPotterLibrary22 wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 10:57
sevencrows wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 12:48 A Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my all time favorites.
Agree - I really enjoyed this! I've read it twice now and will probably read it again in the future. What was your favourite part?
I don't have a favorite scene that I can pinpoint exactly, but I found Lord Henry's inner dialogue fascinating! What about you?
Candles
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Candles »

Very happy to see The Picture of Dorian Gray mentioned here a lot, it's next on my list to read.

My favourite classics:

1984 - George Orwell
Animal Farm - George Orwell
The Time Machine - H G Wells
The Invisible Man - H G Wells
The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
The 39 Steps - John Buchan
Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

sevencrows wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 13:21
HarryPotterLibrary22 wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 10:57
I don't have a favorite scene that I can pinpoint exactly, but I found Lord Henry's inner dialogue fascinating! What about you?
I loved when Dorian Grey was first introduced. I thought it really set up the whole story nicely.
Tremendous4112
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tremendous4112 »

Crime and punishment is a book full of philosophical realization. But I'm still looking forward to have a particular book which can be compare to it.
CherylTegan7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltegan7.html
Latest Review: Robots and Mad Scientists by James Smith⁰

Post by CherylTegan7 »

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was much better than I thought it would be (definitely better than Dracula). The first few chapters are slow, but once it got going, I was sucked in. There's an amount of depth, emotion, and philosophy that I just love. It's nothing like the movies and there's a lot more to it. I felt so bad for the 'monster'.
"Maybe life is just an endless series of rooms with puzzles, and then eventually one of them kills you." Dirk Gently (series 1)
itsmemelwy

Post by itsmemelwy »

I would recommend Dandelion Wine, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. They are more recent but still a classic. Also I really liked 1984 by George Orwell. And obviously Russian books, Crime and punishment, Anna Karenina, Yevgeny Onegin, Oblomov, The Master and Margarita.
Neelam15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neelam15.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Neelam15 »

I recently read "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte and i can't understand how could a single book be so full of everything so close to life. I would recommend it to all. This book is so close to my heart.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott has always been close to my heart. I always pick it up when I'm feeling low and it always cheers me up (and also makes me shed a few tears), especially the first part. Most importantly, I feel a little bit more alive when I'm reading about these four lovely March sisters and their family and friends and how they manage to survive in the Civil War era despite all odds.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

I am taking a Victorian Literature class this semester in college, and we just finished reading Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon, and it has definitely made my top 5 favorite classic novels list.

The novel surrounds Lady Audley, a beautiful, enchanting young woman who recently married a rich, much older man because he found himself absolutely in love with her. Everything was going well for everyone until a George Talboys returns from Australia to find his wife recently dead. Talboys, heartbroken, agrees to travel with his old friend Robert Audley (nephew of Lady Audley's husband) to Audley Court. There, he soon goes missing, leaving it up to Robert to unravel the mystery of his disappearance, as well as others that surround Audley Court.

This novel is a sensational novel published serially in a magazine, back in the day. It caused a bit of a stir among the people, believing that woman will look up to Lady Audley's character and become dangerous. But how is Lady Audley dangerous, you ask? You'll just have to read for yourself. It is a very easy read as well and a very fun novel to dissect and understand how it helped the early feminist movement in Victorian England.
Sunny days
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunny-days.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Sunny days »

Kay Fair wrote: 18 Sep 2009, 10:53 Jane Austen said of Emma, "I am going to take a character no one but myself will much like." Seriously?! Is it possible that I am all alone in my affection for dearest Emma? Or can it be I would find many fellow lovers of the most haughty and spoilt of the Jane Austen heroines; as I live not in Jane's world of England circa 1816, but rather in a society that fully worships the rich and naughty antics of Gossip Girls and Real Housewives of... wherever? Yeah, I'm guessing Emma would be a pretty popular chick these days.

My affection for Emma as a novel lies in its tightly laced plot and signature Austen imagery. My adoration of Emma, the character, lies in my lingering childhood desire to somehow make the most popular girl in school like me. (Despite the fact that such a desire is generally rooted in the secret wish that the popular girl will tumble from atop the throne, leaving a vacancy for none other than yours truly.)

It may be cheesy girl stuff, but Emma will always be one of my favorite characters of classic literature. (Complete review available at whatrefuge.blogspot)
As a Jane Austen lover myself Emma is most definitely my favorite novel of hers, and I agree wholeheartedly with the your opinion regarding Emma's popularity in modern times. I disagree with your labeling the novel as "cheesy girl stuff". Just because the main character is a woman does not make it "cheesy" and labeling a classic and beloved novel as such seems to devalue it don't you think? Then again just my opinion, but I don't believe that we should be labeling novels with a woman as the main protagonist as such or finding them a "guilty pleasure". You like what you like.
Amanda-Elin G
Currently Reading: Valiant Young Men
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singinggenius05.html
Latest Review: André's Reboot by Steve Coleman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Amanda-Elin G »

My all time favorite book is "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. I love the entire collection which consists of, "The Giver", "Gathering Blue", "Messenger", and "Son". Yes, there are more than just the first. I find it surprising how many are unaware of that. In fact, I told my friend the other day, and she screamed with genuine excitement to read the rest. These books are about four different dystopian communities. The protagonists in the four books all come together in, "Son" which creates a truly fascinating story. Although, I believe the first book is the best, I highly recommend reading all four.

Return to “Classic Books”