We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brittnie5215
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittnie5215.html

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Post by Brittnie5215 »

Jackson keeps you guessing throughout the entire novel. You know right away that something is wrong with the Blackwood's but you're not quite sure. It's a real page turner and you won't want to put it down because you'll want to get to the bottom of this strange family.
PaulaSofia
Currently Reading: You
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by PaulaSofia »

Jackson is one of my favorite writers ever. I love this book, almost as much as The Haunting of Hill House
Jaw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaw.html

Post by Jaw »

I had this book on my to-read list for many years.
Recently, I finally got around to reading it.
You pretty much summed it up perfectly, Brittnie.
I couldn't put it down!
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

This is a great book--I reread it a couple of months ago and it was every bit as impressive as the first time.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Carrie Opal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrie-opal.html

Post by Carrie Opal »

I absolutely loved this book! Merrikat is easily one of my all-time favorite narrators. It's so unsettling and just deliciously dark.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I just finished this book, and it was so perfect for the Halloween season. It is super creepy and keeps you guessing just enough so you can't quite put the book down. There is a slight twist at the end, which I actually predicted not too far into the story (which is highly unusual for me, so I would say that Jackson makes the twist quite obvious). There is a lot of dark humor in the book, and Merrikat, in a way, reminds me of Harley Quinn in that she is so obviously crazy. I also just watched Suicide Squad, so that could be another reason why I find a resemblance. Overall though, this is an entertaining and quick read that will get you right into the Halloween spirit. :)
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month

Post by gregs317 »

Wow, I just ordered this book today from Wal-mart's website. It must be popular because my local book store is out of stock. I'm getting really anxious to start this book. Happy Reading!
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

Excellent book.. I keep a copy to re-read every so often. Jackson is a very atmospheric writer... knew how to set up suspense and keep it growing throughout the story.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Brittnie5215 wrote:Jackson keeps you guessing throughout the entire novel. You know right away that something is wrong with the Blackwood's but you're not quite sure. It's a real page turner and you won't want to put it down because you'll want to get to the bottom of this strange family.
This is the best way to describe this. By about half way through, I wasn't completely enthralled with the book, but there was no way I was putting it down. I really had to figure out what was going on with that family!!
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

You have accurately described what reading this book was like. No wonder, those who have read it love it immensely.
Merricat is a strange and intriguing character. I was at times scared of her. But, honestly, I wish there was a way to help her and her small family.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Rebekah Longworth
Currently Reading: Misery
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Rebekah Longworth »

Brittnie5215 wrote: 25 Feb 2016, 19:45 Jackson keeps you guessing throughout the entire novel. You know right away that something is wrong with the Blackwood's but you're not quite sure. It's a real page turner and you won't want to put it down because you'll want to get to the bottom of this strange family.
I completely agree!!! The atmosphere of the novel is uneasy and curiosity-provoking, which I absolutely loved. What really impressed me besides the novel itself was the movie-- it stayed pretty true to the book and the atmosphere stayed the same between the two mediums (a rare but impressive triumph!).
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

No matter how many times I read this book. I still consider Jackson my favourite character. I think I would read this book again

Return to “Classic Books”