"The Canterbury Tales" by Geoffrey Chaucer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cdurantc
Bookshelf Size: 0

"The Canterbury Tales" by Geoffrey Chaucer

Post by cdurantc »

The imagination and various genres and characters represented in "The Canterbury Tales" makes this a great read for all ages. Chaucer takes his readers on a great journey through his character development and stories. His attention to detail is spectacular and makes it easy to envision the time and place. :)
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

I'm sorry but I honestly hated this book. It's really misogynistic. I don't remember much of it because I read it such a long time ago but that's my opinion on it. Wish I could elaborate more.
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

DEFINITELY misogynistic but that's too be expected of the medieval times. I decided to enjoy it for what it was but that was me reading this years ago. I recently bought a collection with lovely artwork from Chapters. I'm hoping I'll have time to hunker down and give it a re-read.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I read this for the first time when my oldest was in high school and I'd been asked to lead a literature group of high school kids. The book of choice by the kids was "The Canterbury Tales". I thought "why not, it's a classic"..... some parts were so embarrassing to discuss with youth that I did not know well. It was a co-ed group as well so there was quite a bit of giggling in parts.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I took a medieval lit class as an undergrad and we read some of this book. We also had to memorize the prologue, which I can surprisingly still recite.
I like the tales and found them amusing, but agree with CatInTheHat that they can be a bit sexual.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I had to read a few stories in college and found them so entertaining. Our professor forced us to read it out loud in Old English too, which definitely added some substance to the stories. So interesting!
Ceciltrixiedom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =164903">A Very Secret Affair</a>
Currently Reading: The Language Of Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ceciltrixiedom »

We tackled this poem back high school days.Yeah we also memorized the prologue! But as far as I can remember, it is about telling tales by participants who joined a sort of pilgrimage to Canterbury. A bit boring but since we were obliged to listen and discuss ,we had no choice.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

I have read a few of these, and I am always surprised by how funny, relevant and readable they are. It helps me to read them out loud as it's easier to understand what's going on.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Deleka

Post by Deleka »

As far as I can remember, it is about telling tales by participants who joined a sort of pilgrimage to Canterbury. I wish there was much elaboration
decafmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decafmama.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by decafmama »

I loved my Chaucer class in college! Canterbury tales is amazing. He is brilliant at toeing the line between blasphemy and critiquing the religious clerics of the day. His writing is mysterious. Is he being sarcastic in this tale or truthful? Did you know he was the first English writer to use different dialects for northern and southern characters? It is a shame he never finished the work.
Kristinekaye2005

Post by Kristinekaye2005 »

When i was in college we studied canterbury tales. I'd love it and the story is so amazing and until now I still remembered it.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Considering the time period during which it was written, the Canterbury Tales broke so many rules. It was by far the best thing I have ever been required to read for school.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

Chaucer does a fabulous job of writing a story that contains many subjects that are not age appropriate for the book but weave into it with a great deal of ease. I don't remember liking this book when I read it in high school and found that it was not a book that should have been discussed in a classroom.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

I would love to reread the book. The problem of books imposed on students, a natural hatred comes along
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

I read this book back in high school and I must commend how good the author was.

Return to “Classic Books”