Modern Day Jane Eyre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ganjie7
Currently Reading: Code Name Verity
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ganjie7.html

Modern Day Jane Eyre

Post by ganjie7 »

thoughts: Would anyone be opposed to a modern day Jane Eyre except with the roles reversed? (Jane's position being a male nanny/tutor and Mr. Rochester being a powerful woman with a terrible secret) Let me know how you feel about the reversed/modern roles.
JeannieHallAuthor
Currently Reading: First Grave on the Right
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by JeannieHallAuthor »

Sounds intriguing to me. This is my all time favorite classical novel.
Cooper05
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cooper05.html

Post by Cooper05 »

Interesting idea, Jane Eyre is one of the first book that started my love of reading. I think a role reversal would be very applicable to today's society.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I don't think I would be able to fall in love with the character of Mr.Rochester if he was a woman. Unfortunately, I think I would end up disliking the character even after the ending. So I think the roles of Jane and Mr. Rochester should not be changed. :P
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I definitely think that part of the novel's charm was the historical setting...

Also, the fact that Jane had the status of a lady (through her parents) but no money, and yet was strong enough to insist on working and not becoming Rochester's mistress even when they were about to get married.
FullTimeReader

Post by FullTimeReader »

The historical setting seems as if it is key to making some of the elements of the story. For Keeping poor crazy Bertha up in the attic was creepy when set in the 1800's. However, due to the time period the reader can forgive, and perhaps feel sorry for Edward Rochester because he lives in a time where he didn't have access to mental hospitals, and divorce wasn't an option. Set in modern times, it isn't normal at all and would destroy the story because it eliminates the possibility of redemption. This is just one element where the time period is integral to the story, there are others, such as Jane's discussed marriage to her cousin.

Because of my feelings on the time period this work belongs in, I'd have to say No to a modern day Jane Eyre. Keeping it in its historical time period and switching gender roles would make the story less believable.
imerrns
In It Together VIP
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imerrns.html

Post by imerrns »

I agree with "FullTimeReader". A modern day version plus role reversal would not go over well.
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Novelbound »

I actually read a modern day Jane Eyre, but the roles were the same. It's called Jane by April Lindner, and I absolutely loved it. Not sure how role reversal would be, but I think re-tellings are intriguing in general.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

FullTimeReader wrote:The historical setting seems as if it is key to making some of the elements of the story. For Keeping poor crazy Bertha up in the attic was creepy when set in the 1800's. However, due to the time period the reader can forgive, and perhaps feel sorry for Edward Rochester because he lives in a time where he didn't have access to mental hospitals, and divorce wasn't an option. Set in modern times, it isn't normal at all and would destroy the story because it eliminates the possibility of redemption. This is just one element where the time period is integral to the story, there are others, such as Jane's discussed marriage to her cousin.

Because of my feelings on the time period this work belongs in, I'd have to say No to a modern day Jane Eyre. Keeping it in its historical time period and switching gender roles would make the story less believable.
I too think that the historical setting is a huge part of what makes the story work. Society would never allow much of what on with Rochester keeping his wife in the attic today. It'd be criminal!

-- 18 Jul 2016, 17:25 --
Novelbound wrote:I actually read a modern day Jane Eyre, but the roles were the same. It's called Jane by April Lindner, and I absolutely loved it. Not sure how role reversal would be, but I think re-tellings are intriguing in general.

How did it address some of things like keeping a crazy wife hidden? Or did it skip those aspects?
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

Your idea of gender reversal is intriguing, but in general, I don't like modern retellings of classics. It would have to be extremely well done for me to like it.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

braver wrote:Your idea of gender reversal is intriguing, but in general, I don't like modern retellings of classics. It would have to be extremely well done for me to like it.
I generally don't like modern versions of classics either. To me, it's much like the remaking of movies with new actors. Why???
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Yvonne Marie
Currently Reading: The Importance of Being Earnest
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Yvonne Marie »

I can picture it, especially after rethinking on the Bertha character. Bertha's family was just plain horrible for doing that to her. I felt sorry for her. Back in those days the mentally ill and sdevelopmentally disabled were treated poorly. Perhaps Bertha could become Bert the mentally ill and abusive alcoholic husband who desparately needs to be institutionized, but "Edwardina?" is short on capital to get him the care he needs. Yes , I see that it is very doable plot. It is one of my all time favorites as well. There have been many different versions of P & P versions published( different author, I know), but they have been successful. Elizabeth Bennett has even become a vampire and a zombie. I believe the skies are the limit with these oldy but goodies. I believe it will be read and enjoyed!!! ?
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

That sounds interesting. I like the idea of a powerful heiress in a female Rochester. (I'd also like to see a sapphic retelling where both Jane and Rochester are women and Bertha was a man.
Supernaut000

Post by Supernaut000 »

Novelbound wrote: 11 Jul 2016, 21:44 I actually read a modern day Jane Eyre, but the roles were the same. It's called Jane by April Lindner, and I absolutely loved it. Not sure how role reversal would be, but I think re-tellings are intriguing in general.
I loved this book too! It certainly doesn't have the weight of the original but it plays with the plot delightfully.

I'd love to see a gender reversed retelling.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Sounds interesting. It would make a good movie too.

Return to “Classic Books”