Dubliners by James Joyce (spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stanley
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanley.html
Latest Review: "Return to the Go-Go" by William Peskett

Dubliners by James Joyce (spoilers)

Post by stanley »

"Dubliners" by James Joyce (spoilers)

"Dubliners" is a collection of fifteen short stories set in the Dublin Ireland of more than one hundred years ago. The characters are middle and working class folks whose portrayals include no titanic conflicts between flamboyant personalities, no passionate, troubled exchanges between ambivalent lovers, or courageous resolve in the face of mortal perils. The only physical conflict in the entire collection is an arm wrestling match in a pub. The tensions and ambiguities of the human experience, however, are masterfully rendered in language that suggests more than it baldly states, that creates tensions perhaps only obliquely resolved.

If one looks for a unifying theme in a short story collection, I would have to say for almost all of these stories, it is the theme of circumscribed lives. For the characters who inhabit this setting of place and time limitations seem imposed by circumstances. The young boy in love with the neighbor girl who has promised to bring her back something from 'Araby', an exotically named bazaar, must wait upon money for admission from an absent minded parent figure until it is almost too late, and his mission becomes hopeless. A large, robust, man mis-employed, it seems, chafes at his subjection to the petty tyranny of his supervisor and longs for the temporary liberation of five o'clock and drinking with his comrades. A young woman suffering under the thumb of a critical and over-demanding father suffers the agony of indecision as she waits to board a ship with her fiancee', a fine, enterprising young man who could be her salvation from an empty, subservient existence.

Somewhere I read, "We attract our lives." How true for the Dubliners of this fine collection of stories. The reader cannot help but empathize with the frustrations and disappointments of characters who find themselves trapped by lives they cannot help but lead. At the same time how clear it is that for the adult characters, at least, they must lead such lives, because they are the way they are. In the very ironically titled "Two Gallants", for example, two idlers in their early thirties conspire, in a way that is not clear in the story because it does not really matter, to manipulate a former sexual conquest of one of them into a "loan." The petty dishonor seems at first hardly worthy of literary treatment, but the real substance of the narrative is the barely conscious longings of the one who waits to hear of his partner's success or failure. He is only thirty one, but paunchy and prematurely gray with no prospects and dependent upon his equally idle and dissolute companions to stand him drinks. Though he scarce realizes it, he depends on such company also for his very identity. He secretly longs for real love with a woman, for children, a job, and a modestly productive life. Of course it cannot be. Joyce does not tell us this. We see it in the subtle unfolding, in the masterfully rendered moments between the two conspirators when they hint by pause and gesture at their own barely realized honorable reservations. That they despise themselves and one another just a little Joyce only implies leaving the judgment to the reader.

For the reader who is a student of how and why a story "works" I can think of no other fiction that so invites and rewards critical attention. For the writing of this review I returned again and again to the text and found there every time subtleties that I had missed. Each story stands on its own, each with a beginning a middles and an end. These are not "slices of life" that some how in total comprise a story At the same time there is a subtle unity of theme that I have only feebly explored in this discussion.

It's hard to judge what kind of reader might be attracted to this collection. If you're a fan of tight plots and gripping action, perhaps it doesn't sound like your kind of book. I would say , give " Dubliners" try any way.
Valerie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valerie »

I never read James Joyce's works but knowing him from Ulysses. Thanks for the review, stanley. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of pesimistic themes. As a reader I appriciate all the works, at least we can back to Dublin and feel its social culture hundred years ago.
stanley
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanley.html

Post by stanley »

Valerie wrote:I never read James Joyce's works but knowing him from Ulysses. Thanks for the review, stanley. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of pesimistic themes. As a reader I appriciate all the works, at least we can back to Dublin and feel its social culture hundred years ago.
Valerie, I hope I didn't deter you from reading "Dubliners" by over emphasizing the somewhat dreary out look of the collection. I certainly did not begin to explore all the book's possibilities, because I am just one reader with one point of view who tends to notice certain things and ignore others. If you do decide to try a story or two from this collection it's likely that you'll discover much that I missed. Thank you for your response to my review.
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

stanley wrote:... If you do decide to try a story or two from this collection it's likely that you'll discover much that I missed. Thank you for your response to my review.
Ok stanley.
the biblophile

Post by the biblophile »

Dubliners is one of the best book of short stories by any one full stop, The Dead is my favorite when Gabriel is rebuffed in his marriage bed because of his wife's dead lover I felt his humiliation, his feeling of helplessness at his inability to live up to an ideal, represented by a dead man.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I remember this book was prescribed for me in postgraduate degree. It was good but not great. I wonder what I would say if I read it now.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

stanley wrote: 22 Nov 2015, 19:53 "Dubliners" by James Joyce (spoilers)

"Dubliners" is a collection of fifteen short stories set in the Dublin Ireland of more than one hundred years ago. The characters are middle and working class folks whose portrayals include no titanic conflicts between flamboyant personalities, no passionate, troubled exchanges between ambivalent lovers, or courageous resolve in the face of mortal perils. The only physical conflict in the entire collection is an arm wrestling match in a pub. The tensions and ambiguities of the human experience, however, are masterfully rendered in language that suggests more than it baldly states, that creates tensions perhaps only obliquely resolved.

If one looks for a unifying theme in a short story collection, I would have to say for almost all of these stories, it is the theme of circumscribed lives. For the characters who inhabit this setting of place and time limitations seem imposed by circumstances. The young boy in love with the neighbor girl who has promised to bring her back something from 'Araby', an exotically named bazaar, must wait upon money for admission from an absent minded parent figure until it is almost too late, and his mission becomes hopeless. A large, robust, man mis-employed, it seems, chafes at his subjection to the petty tyranny of his supervisor and longs for the temporary liberation of five o'clock and drinking with his comrades. A young woman suffering under the thumb of a critical and over-demanding father suffers the agony of indecision as she waits to board a ship with her fiancee', a fine, enterprising young man who could be her salvation from an empty, subservient existence.

Somewhere I read, "We attract our lives." How true for the Dubliners of this fine collection of stories. The reader cannot help but empathize with the frustrations and disappointments of characters who find themselves trapped by lives they cannot help but lead. At the same time how clear it is that for the adult characters, at least, they must lead such lives, because they are the way they are. In the very ironically titled "Two Gallants", for example, two idlers in their early thirties conspire, in a way that is not clear in the story because it does not really matter, to manipulate a former sexual conquest of one of them into a "loan." The petty dishonor seems at first hardly worthy of literary treatment, but the real substance of the narrative is the barely conscious longings of the one who waits to hear of his partner's success or failure. He is only thirty one, but paunchy and prematurely gray with no prospects and dependent upon his equally idle and dissolute companions to stand him drinks. Though he scarce realizes it, he depends on such company also for his very identity. He secretly longs for real love with a woman, for children, a job, and a modestly productive life. Of course it cannot be. Joyce does not tell us this. We see it in the subtle unfolding, in the masterfully rendered moments between the two conspirators when they hint by pause and gesture at their own barely realized honorable reservations. That they despise themselves and one another just a little Joyce only implies leaving the judgment to the reader.

For the reader who is a student of how and why a story "works" I can think of no other fiction that so invites and rewards critical attention. For the writing of this review I returned again and again to the text and found there every time subtleties that I had missed. Each story stands on its own, each with a beginning a middles and an end. These are not "slices of life" that some how in total comprise a story At the same time there is a subtle unity of theme that I have only feebly explored in this discussion.

It's hard to judge what kind of reader might be attracted to this collection. If you're a fan of tight plots and gripping action, perhaps it doesn't sound like your kind of book. I would say , give " Dubliners" try any way.
Thank you for this review! I am going to have to pull Dubliners off my shelves. "The Dead" is my favorite of these stories, but I haven't read this book in years.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Christinabooklover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinabooklover.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Christinabooklover »

I have read the book in the past. The stories were a little bit grim, but I believe that was the case with these poor men so many years ago. Life was difficult and these stories is like living among them.Thanks for the review.
Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.” – JK Rowling
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I have had Dubliners in my to be read pile for a long time now. I have been putting it off since I thought it was dark and tragic but I do have to read it sometime...
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Kinap
Currently Reading: Instant Pot Cookbook #2019
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinap.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kinap »

I loved the "Dubliners"! I read awhile ago in college and after just fell in love with James Joyce. I love all sorts of themes and the "Dubliners", for myself, was so different than the other books I was reading at the time and I appreciate it. My favorite story in the book is "The Dead".

Return to “Classic Books”