1984 by George Orwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sunflowernurse76
Bookshelf Size: 0

1984 by George Orwell

Post by sunflowernurse76 »

I read this book as a high school sophomore. To be honest, I did not really like it. I was not much into political books, thus it did not do anything for me at the time. I did like that I realized where the word/idea of "big brother" came from, but overall that was about all I got out of the book. Then, I re-read the book at the age of 24 while I was pregnant. Wow! I could not put it down. In the years since I was a sophomore in high school, I had finished college, been married and already had a child. I had experienced a lot in those 9 years and this book had so much more an impact on me. I totally loved the book and actually plan to read it again to see how much more of George Orwells' ideas about what the year 1984 have come to fruition. It actually kind of "scared me" how much of the ideas in this book were or had already happened. I recommend this book to anyone that pays even the slightest idea of the "news of the day" and enjoys classic novels. The reader will be "shocked" at how many of the ideas and overall subject matter of this book have or are happening now, taking into account that this book was written in the 1940s. If you are looking for a page turner, think about picking up this novel.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Duplication - there is already a topic open for this book

1984 by George Orwell
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Classic Books”