David Copperfield-possible spoilers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ADL
Bookshelf Size: 0

David Copperfield-possible spoilers

Post by ADL »

This book was really interesting in the beginning. It was the type of book I had to keep reading because I wanted to see what would happen to the main character. The writing was wonderful and beautiful but unless you enjoy classics you may find it boring. The story follows the narrative of a young boy named David Copperfield who had a sad and tragic childhood and it follows his life and reflections as an adult. I really felt sorry for David and felt his pain as he went through his hardships. As I read the story, I really was captivated by the storytelling but towards the end at around 700 pages I found that David's character development didn't reach levels where the reader can say he was such a strong character. He seemed bland and some things happened that really make you say "why did you do that david?" And "get to the point already". Some decisions he makes are questionable and bothered me. But I guess since I sympathized with his character I was judging his actions, this meant that I was really into the story plot. But even though the ending was not the best and I pushed through the last hundred pages, I still think it was a great book overall. The beginning was great and when you get towards the end you have committed yourself to knowing more about David Copperfield that you feel you need to finish even if you aren't happy with the direction the story is moving towards. I dont't regret reading this book and really enjoyed the prose and the narrative. Out of 5 stars I would give it a 4..
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.

Return to “Classic Books”