Heidi by johanna spyri ( spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Khushi
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushi.html
Latest Review: "Harvest" by Beth Martinu
fav_author_id: 2384

Heidi by johanna spyri ( spoilers)

Post by Khushi »

Heidi is one of those books that I keep going back to when I feel at a loss in a grown up world :) It is one of my ultimate favourites in comfort reading. An absolute classic ! The world of Heidi and Alm Uncle is so beautifully simple, the delights are so heart felt, that I love going over my favourite passages again and again and always keep a copy of this book by my bedside.

In Heidi, nature is described in all its splendour and glory, so much so that I always feel I am there, up amidst the Alpine heights...I just have to close my eyes ! :) :) The toasted cheese, the fir trees, the flowers, the sweet-smelling grass, grandmother's hymns, the making of cheese ...everything is a cause for joy for Heidi. The unconditional love of Heidi for her grand father, the way her little presence transforms his life, and the lives of grand mother , Peter, Clara, the doctor is magical, and yet so believable, it gives me hope.

Simpler times and simpler joys...years after I first read this book, it continues to make me smile and cry and sometimes leaves me with feeling wistful for such times...but when I feel a little sad like that, I go back a few chapters and re read the description of the toasted cheese and I am back to feeling good :) :) Atop the Swiss mountains with Heidi is my happy place to be :) :)
Latest Review: "Harvest" by Beth Martinu
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Another memory from childhood reading. Heidi was a great read, I'd say I read it 3 or 4 times over my childhood years and I remember my sisters really enjoying it too.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

I loved Heidi, too - but while we're talking about Switzerland, did anyone else devour the Chalet School books? I recently found a couple of them I'd not read in a charity shop (the series was so long it's no wonder) and read them for comfort reading, nostalgia, whatever. I have mixed feelings - they were surprisingly well-written apart from a few dodgy similes (does anyone really have eyes like wood violets??) andd treated surprisingly hard-hitting topics, like disability and jealousy, but I found that characters I adored as an adolescent just grated on my nerves - the wise and wonderful head girl, for instance, had turned into someone I seriously longed to slap! Sorry, this has gone a bit off-topic.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

Heidi was one of my first books! We were reading it together, me and my grandmother. When I opened this forum topic, I was suddenly surprised with myself - I remembered so many little details of the book. Like how her grandfather covered his palms with salt so the goats would lick them, or about Heidi's bed, Clara, the kittens, the view from the tower... This book really meant a great deal for me back then... and it still is.
It was beautiful and sad in the same time, but before all, it is so filled with optimism and joy. There are some classic children books - like Pollyanna, or everything by Frances Burnett - that really lift my spirits whenever I read them. Heidi is on of those books as well.
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
pudy_wudy
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pudy-wudy.html

Post by pudy_wudy »

I enjoyed Heidi too, and I always feel happy reading about her simple friendship with Peter and her devotion to Clara. I feel that Heidi is such a innocent and sweet girl and that is very refreshing, but I can't help but wonder how would she deal with reality as she grow up? Will she become less idealistic and innocent?
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

A wonderful book! It told me (and taught me) about so many things! That an innocent, patient girl could melt the anger of her grandfather, the same, simple girl could reduce the number of temper tantrums an invalid had and with the help of her grandfather, even make her walk! It is a story of the indomitable spirit, but never bores even once with the vivid description of each place Adelaide (oops, is it Heidi?) :wink: travels. Yes, there are bad influences, including her aunt and, for a small duration of time, even her friend Peter, but with her goodness, Heidi captivates all. Thank you for reminding me of this wonderful book and thank you, Johanna Spyri!!!
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I loved reading this book as a kid. I haven't read it in years, I think that I need to pull it out and read it to my kids!
Rina
Bookshelf Size: 121

Post by Rina »

I was presented a copy for my birthday and absolutely loved it! But I suddenly realised I never read this as an adult unlike other classics. I think I'll go dig up a copy ....
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I loved reading Heidi for its pureness and simplicity. There is even a second and third book which is called "Heidi grows up" and "Heidi's Children" (I think). Its written by a different author, but that same authentic feel is still there. I have read Heidi Grows Up, but have not yet read the last book.

Has anybody here read or heard of these two other books?

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:I loved reading Heidi for its pureness and simplicity. There is even a second and third book which is called "Heidi grows up" and "Heidi's Children" (I think). Its written by a different author, but that same authentic feel is still there. I have read Heidi Grows Up, but have not yet read the last book.

Has anybody here read or heard of these two other books?
Wow...I never knew about these books...thanks for sharing...please let me know where I can avail of them...
lettiebeth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lettiebeth »

Oh, yes! Heidi should be a staple of every childhood! Johanna Spyri also wrote a book called The Little Swiss Boy that I read even more than Heidi as a kid.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

A fond memory from my childhood is reading this story with my grandmother. Heidi is a story that reminds me of comfort food. Besides my Bible, this is one of my go to books when I am feeling down and depressed. With the uncertain times we are living in with the Co-Vid 19 virus encompassing the world, this would be the perfect book to rediscover.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

pudy_wudy wrote: 30 Dec 2016, 01:06 I enjoyed Heidi too, and I always feel happy reading about her simple friendship with Peter and her devotion to Clara. I feel that Heidi is such a innocent and sweet girl and that is very refreshing, but I can't help but wonder how would she deal with reality as she grow up? Will she become less idealistic and innocent?
A very interesting thing to think about.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

This sounds like a book I should read. Sometimes what you really need is just a simple story with simple joys.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Heidi is one of the best classics. it could be recommended for children to read too. any person of any age group could read and enjoy the story.

Return to “Classic Books”